Finally! External LCD Monitor Solution < $200 - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old March 22nd, 2009, 04:53 AM   #166
New Boot

I bought a SONY FX870 after reading the first few posts in this thread, because I needed an inexpensive solution for use with my DIY cine-adaptor.

Here's a photo of the mount I had a machinist make for me. The uprights are aluminum and the cross bar is stainless steel. It's as light as I could make it. The slots in the uprights allow access to the video jack, the DC input and the on/off switch whether the monitor is inserted right side up or upside down.

The other rigs pictured including the rod support system and follow focus are custom builds.

Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Finally! External LCD Monitor Solution < 0-sony-fx870-monitor-mount.jpg  
Martin Amada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 08:07 PM   #167
Major Player

Has anyone tried the LG DP391B?
LG DP391B - Portable DVD Player - With Photo Frame: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 04:20 AM   #168
Tourist

I just brought a LG DP281B today and first thoughts are great. It's an older model 2007ish and thus was on close out at S$199 (about US$120) but it has a 800x480 screen and looked better than some of the more expensive newer models. A quick test showed the normal lack of detail in a darks, but the picture is very clear and I could focus easy.
Now to the eternal problem off fixing it to the camera.

L
Lee Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 06:16 PM   #169
New Boot

Here's how I made the sun hood from 3/16" (4mm) acrylic. The two machine screws you can see sticking up from the back will allow for a much larger and super lightweight extension hood with side flaps to be attached.

Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Finally! External LCD Monitor Solution < 0-monitor-hood-unpainted.jpg   Finally! External LCD Monitor Solution < 0-monitor-hood-painted.jpg  

Martin Amada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #170
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stringer View Post
I just brought a LG DP281B today and first thoughts are great. It's an older model 2007ish and thus was on close out at S$199 (about US$120) but it has a 800x480 screen and looked better than some of the more expensive newer models.
L
Check my list of 2008 models in which I tested 12 units running at the same time all showing the menu of the same DVD. There is a substantial variability in picture clarity among the models in the same price range. I would check out particular models in person and compare to others.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #171
Trustee

Link for that list?
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 12:52 PM   #172
Inner Circle

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/888896-post96.html

Correction. I only tested 8 players. I'll have to check out the Sony FX870, which seems to boast 12-bit , 108 MHz video DAC. Most of the softness of these players seems to come from their deinterlacing methods. The main problem with portable devices is that they compete more on battery life and price than on picture quality.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #173
Major Player

Two or three weeks ago I also bought a Sony DVP-FX870, because the tube of my PVM-9041 died and I needed a small field monitor immedeatly.

The carrying case that comes with the DVP-FX870 is worthless for viewing. So now I'm looking for a better one with a foldable hood that also can be used in bright sunlight.

I already sorted out 3 cases that I think would fit. Only the connections and swithes on the side of the LCD keep me from buying one of the cases below. Do you think it's possible to plug in a 90 degree plug in to the monitor when it's in one of these cases? The Sony DVP-FX870 measures: 225,4(W) x 33,5(D) x 164,9(H)mm or 8,86(W) x 1,3(D) x 6,45(H) in.

KATA LCM-9

Petrol PLCD-3

PortaBrace MO-LCD8.4

Anyone maybe using such a case for their Sony DVP-FX8xx, or another one then the Sony?
Any thoughts or other suggestions are very welcome.
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 05:29 AM   #174
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Snoeckx View Post
Two or three weeks ago I also bought a Sony DVP-FX870, because the tube of my PVM-9041 died and I needed a small field monitor immedeatly.

The carrying case that comes with the DVP-FX870 is worthless for viewing. So now I'm looking for a better one with a foldable hood that also can be used in bright sunlight.

I already sorted out 3 cases that I think would fit. Only the connections and swithes on the side of the LCD keep me from buying one of the cases below. Do you think it's possible to plug in a 90 degree plug in to the monitor when it's in one of these cases? The Sony DVP-FX870 measures: 225,4(W) x 33,5(D) x 164,9(H)mm or 8,86(W) x 1,3(D) x 6,45(H) in.

KATA LCM-9

Petrol PLCD-3

PortaBrace MO-LCD8.4

Anyone maybe using such a case for their Sony DVP-FX8xx, or another one then the Sony?
Any thoughts or other suggestions are very welcome.
For my FX820 I picked up one of these on clearance at Target for $12. It works very well with just enough room in it for the unit and some extras.

Case Logic 7-9 In-Car DVD Player Case > Automotive Organization > Case Logic

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 05:34 AM   #175
Major Player

Last thursday I had the PortaBrace MO-LCD8.4 delivered. I have choosen this case because the measures come as closest to the ones of the Sony DVD-player.

The case comes without instructions, so it was a little bit of a hassle to figure it all out. First impression is the stand is a very weak thing. This weekend I'm going to use it on a shoot.
Old June 28th, 2009, 08:59 AM   #176
Major Player

After the shoot I took some pictures of the PortaBrace MO-LCD8.4 monitor case.

The monitor case from PortaBrace is not custom made for the Sony DVP-FX870 portable DVD-player, but it all fits very well. It comes with a carrying belt and a black rain cover that sits in the front pouch and can be deployed around the back of the case (oeps, forgot to take a picture of it). User instructions are not included so it took me a while to figure it all out.

I've made a short cable with a 90 degree connector that can be connected to the side of the DVP-FX870 permanently.

Setup is really quick and viewing is now much better with the foldable hood. Only the stand bothers me. The angle cannot be changed and I find it very week.
Attached Thumbnails
Finally! External LCD Monitor Solution < 0-mo-lcd8.4-001.jpg   Finally! External LCD Monitor Solution < 0-mo-lcd8.4-002.jpg  

Finally! External LCD Monitor Solution < 0-mo-lcd8.4-003.jpg   Finally! External LCD Monitor Solution < 0-mo-lcd8.4-005.jpg  

Finally! External LCD Monitor Solution < 0-mo-lcd8.4-006.jpg   Finally! External LCD Monitor Solution < 0-mo-lcd8.4-008.jpg  

Finally! External LCD Monitor Solution < 0-mo-lcd8.4-010.jpg   Finally! External LCD Monitor Solution < 0-mo-lcd8.4-013.jpg  

Old June 28th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #177
Wrangler

Buy.com has these for $161.18 out the door:

Sony DVPFX820 Portable DVD Player - DVPFX820/W - Buy.com

I assume these (or something similar) are more or less a necessity for using a Depth of Field adapter?

And can I assume that, when open, they fold flat?
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #178
Inner Circle

Just noticed that B&H seems to have a newer, larger version for only a little more:

Sony | DVP-FX930 Portable DVD Player (Black) | DVPFX930 | B&H
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2009, 01:18 PM   #179
Wrangler

I found a factory refurb with Sony warranty on eBay for $114. I've also ordered this, which seems like a potentially simple (and cheap) mounting solution:

UltraClamp Aluminum Support | B&H Photo Video
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 05:19 AM   #180
Major Player

After using the FX820 for awhile with my Sony PMW-EX1 I noticed that the image isn't that great using the composite out on the camera so I switched to the Green connector on the component output from the camera and it is much sharper even though the image is black and white. Much better for focusing which is all the monitor is good for anyway.

Also, check the Sony Store if there is one near you. The one in Woodbury Commons in New York near me is where I bought mine new. They had them on clearance a few months ago for a little over $100.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software