Finally! External LCD Monitor Solution < $200 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old May 21st, 2008, 09:18 AM   #16
Regular Crew

I'm torn between trying one of these out with the HD200...or realizing that the almost $200 might be better put toward a "real" monitor, even though considerably more expensive.

One person mentioned "creatively mounting" this to a tripod, but no one else has commented -- how in the world can you mount this thing to anything?

The (understandable) lack of a standard tripod screw mount on this device might be enough for me not to want to even hassle with trying it out, no matter how good the price/performance ratio is. Or maybe I'm overlooking some incredibly simple, stable, and not too jurry-rigged-looking solution that doesn't involve having to custom craft a mount out of aluminum sheeting, solder, and duct tape.
Brent Kolitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 01:17 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Thanks for the recommendation. Focusing with a 35mm adapter has been a chore. HD camcorder manufacturers could help out by allowing more than a 2x zoom (Z1, FX1, EX1) for focusing by allowing up to 8x and adding focus zones. The zone could be seen in expanded view and moved around with the joystick. Sony, look to the Nikon D3/D300 live view modes.

Also, what is the battery configuration? The specs read:
"Remote Control, Batteries for Remote, Owners Manual, AV Cable, Rechargeable Battery Pack, AC Adaptor, Car Battery Charger "
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 01:19 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Kolitz View Post
One person mentioned "creatively mounting" this to a tripod, but no one else has commented -- how in the world can you mount this thing to anything?
I think Bogen/Manfrotto still has that accessory tray that clamps to a tripod leg that was typically used for smaller crt monitors back in the day.

Btw, for $180 I'd expect at least component inputs :D
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 01:28 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby View Post
I think Bogen/Manfrotto still has that accessory tray that clamps to a tripod leg that was typically used for smaller crt monitors back in the day.

Btw, for $180 I'd expect at least component inputs :D
Thanks for that -- I did a quick search and only came up with some sort of "accessory tray" for holding film, etc. I didn't pay attention to its dimensions, but it's basically just a flat tray -- nothing that's going to hold the monitor securely and allow you to move the tripod around, although I supposed you could zip-tie it to the tray, running the ties over the top-loading DVD tray.

If anyone has any ideas and can point to a specific mounting device, that would be appreciated. Not sure what those of you who are now using this monitor are doing to hold it. Ideally, I'd like to be able to keep the screen folded back on itself and mount it on a Noga arm -- the question is, how?

(And yes, component inputs would certainly be nice ;-)
Old May 21st, 2008, 01:33 PM   #20
Major Player

Yea I was curious if they had what I had remembered & couldn't find it. It was a one piece deal, with a clamp, arm & platform. Looks like that's still possible by piecing together the items needed though.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 02:40 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I just got this device yesterday, so how it is going to be attached (or accompany me) while I'm out shooting has yet to be addressed. For right now (and what I do) using it in the carry bag I purchased with it is totally adequate.

In my mind's eye, I'm envisioning using a bracket like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=285116&is=REG

...and then seeing if I can mount a tilting music stand head on it. Then, put velcro on the music stand platform and the back of the monitor to hold it in place. If that bracket attaches to the legs of my tripod then I think I will have a nice setup with good "swiveling" options. Maybe I'm dreaming too much, but right now it seems feasible... I'm still researching parts to try and [cheaply] make it all come together (and hopefully no duct tape).
Andrew Kufahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 03:20 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I just bought one of these today as well; hopefully the picture is good enough for focusing until I can spring for a Panny monitor.

If it is, I was thinking of possibly using a vacuum-suction mount like this one http://www.filmtools.com/6succupw14sp.html to attach the unit to an Ultra Light Systems or Zacuto Arm. These vacuum suction cups can hold on practically forever on the right surfaces.
Leo Versola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 03:36 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby View Post
Yea I was curious if they had what I had remembered & couldn't find it. It was a one piece deal, with a clamp, arm & platform. Looks like that's still possible by piecing together the items needed though.
As per this thread, I followed the links Hart Boyd posted. The platform he mentions has been discontinued, but the other items are still available, and after a little digging I found everything in a B&H Kit:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...or_Holder.html

I'm not sure if those straps will get in the way of the screen, but it seems worth looking in to, for someone with the cash.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:45 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Martens View Post
As per this thread, I followed the links Hart Boyd posted. The platform he mentions has been discontinued, but the other items are still available, and after a little digging I found everything in a B&H Kit:

I'm not sure if those straps will get in the way of the screen, but it seems worth looking in to, for someone with the cash.
Thanks for that info. One concern is obviously how/if those straps will work out. The other concern is what I mentioned initially -- next thing you know you've spent as much on the mount as on the thing itself, plus it's probably gonna be a pretty kludgy affair just to get around the basic fact that this device doesn't have a simple screw mount for universal attachment... The mounting issues, in addition to the whole composite-only (plus needing adapters because of the weird jack), starts making it a bit of a headache. I'll be interested to see whether the image quality for the price is worth the fuss of hooking this whole rig up and using it...
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:43 PM   #25
Major Player

Hi All,

Not sure where you folks are wanting to mount your Monitors, but for real cheap, easy to make, and safe - here's a couple I've made and used over the past few years.

Harold
Attached Thumbnails
Finally! External LCD Monitor Solution < 0-pictures-019.jpg   Finally! External LCD Monitor Solution < 0-019.jpg  

Finally! External LCD Monitor Solution < 0-pictures-016.jpg  
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:11 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kufahl View Post

4) The supplied [rechargeable] battery claims 6 hours of run-time. I haven't had it long enough to test that.
I wouldn't want to rely on that oft quoted figure.

I bit as well, picking one up this afternoon. According to the owner's manual it will hit 6 hours run time IF:
1. You turn the LCD backlight down to the absolute minimum.
2. You use headphones, not the standard built in speakers.

I have no problem with #2, but if you actually do #1 the picture is way to dark.
On the other hand, if you're using it as a monitor rather than a DVD player,
that should be a positive as the drive motor(s)+laser electronics are doing nothing.

Regardless, it's a huge upgrade from my current camcorders utterly pitiful LCD screen.

The final icing on the cake for me was having $100 worth of BestBuy gift certificates from Christmas time.
So my actual out-of-pocket cost was under $90 USD.
I'm certainly happy.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:01 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Martens View Post
...after a little digging I found everything in a B&H Kit:

I bought these to initially be used as preview monitors for my live switcher. I used industrial strength 2" velcro to secure them to the box lid I constructed with the mixer and such. Works great.

I could see that kit you showed from B&H but instead of using the straps on that plate, I'd just grind off those edges of the plate and remove the straps and use the velcro. That stuff will hold a tank together.

I don't have time right now, but when I do, I'll put together something to mount this with the goals of 1- relatively low cost 2-not look like a home hack job 3- it works.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:05 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Cloninger View Post
I don't have time right now, but when I do, I'll put together something to mount this with the goals of 1- relatively low cost 2-not look like a home hack job 3- it works.
Good idea about the velcro. Thanks for looking into this -- I might wait and see what you come up with, before I drive myself crazy and order too many pieces...
Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:07 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Kolitz View Post
The mounting issues, in addition to the whole composite-only (plus needing adapters because of the weird jack), starts making it a bit of a headache. I'll be interested to see whether the image quality for the price is worth the fuss of hooking this whole rig up and using it...
Composite only is not bad! Its not a weird jack. Its a 1/8" male mono plug and you could get a BNC to the 1/8" jack all in one cable without use of adapters. Mounting can be done easilly (although I haven't went through this yet, but it folds flat and looks like a regular monitor and NOT like a portable DVD player.) Its not a headache.

You've already heard people say how good the image quality is. Go see for yourself.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:58 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Cloninger View Post
You've already heard people say how good the image quality is. Go see for yourself.
Thanks, Jerome. I know it sounds like I'm complaining, but I actually ordered it yesterday ;-) I just have so many projects going on already that I'm loathe to have to spend too much time making a square peg fit into a round hole -- but it sounds like some of you have good ideas about the mounting...
Brent Kolitz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software