DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Finally! External LCD Monitor Solution < $200 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/121801-finally-external-lcd-monitor-solution-200-a.html)

Gints Klimanis June 1st, 2008 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome Cloninger (Post 886759)
It would be great to see if the naysayers could in deed confirm if they saw the 810 or 820.

Jerome, I'm thankful that you started this thread. I think there is a better portable DVD player out there. I'll agree that the Sony FX820 player you suggested immensely improves focusing when comparing the excellent VGA 3.5" LCD on my Sony EX1 in normal (not "Expanded Focus") mode. The Sony EX1 doesn't send Expanded Focus mode to the Composite Video out, so both monitors are about the same in expanded mode. Yes, there is more flickering in the Sony FX820, and I suspect that it's circuitry adds this "noise" more than the composite output. It appears that the FX820 doesn't do deinterlacing, and its update rate is quite slow. This is what I see when I move my finger across the lens and watch the artifacts in the FX820.

Do you have a freaky-good FX820 that shows sharp text in DVD mode? The FX820 is quite fuzzy in DVD mode, but the Line In text appears sharp in LineIn mode. Isn't your much fuzzier than the text you see in Line In mode?

So, we're left looking for a better DVD player. I see some that are listed with Progressive modes, so perhaps this is the main improvement. The Memorex 10" device gets rave reviews, but it's listed as a film-like device which compresses highlights to deal with game console input. Do we want that? I think not. Some of the higher end portable DVD players have component inputs for XBox input.

Brent Kolitz June 1st, 2008 04:27 PM

I absolutely definitely have the 820 (it's sitting here in front of me)...and I remain unimpressed with the screen.

Not saying it might not be a help in focusing, but it's certainly not fun to look at...

Maybe I'm just too picky, or maybe they use different panels in different samples (just like Dell does with their monitors) -- though I can't imagine they'd have some units that look "great" and others that look poor.

Chris Barcellos June 1st, 2008 06:15 PM

Hi all:

I have been shooting my HV20 Letus Combo with a Polaroid DVD player I bought at Walmart about a year ago (PDM 0742). Has 4:3 and 16:9 modes, flips, and I was pretty satisfied with it, and could pull focus okay, I thought. You always have a "gap" range where you are guessing if you hit focus right on.

But then I shot a Panny HVX with a Netek 7 inch monitor on an 8 day shoot, and man, was that nice. I now am having issues in with my rig. I am wondering if this Sony is any better. They are both SD....

Matt Buys June 1st, 2008 06:45 PM

Just bought an 8 inch sony Fx811 at Sam's for 159. Screen looks great.

Gints Klimanis June 1st, 2008 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent Kolitz (Post 886782)
Maybe I'm just too picky, or maybe they use different panels in different samples (just like Dell does with their monitors) -- though I can't imagine they'd have some units that look "great" and others that look poor.

Could be different panels. I see interlace artifacts on a flickering screen. All of the FX820's at the Sony Store looked this way. I'll check some more players out at Target tonight. (Added) The Target in my area doesn't provide power supplies for any of the DVD players. They have a dozen portable DVD players, including a couple of 10" LCD models, in one aisle with a fake plastic scene in the LCD. The salesperson refused to deal with their lack of power. What a taunting crock. Well, I'll take my purchase

I'm guessing that the players labeled Progressive Scan are what we want. An LCD isn't interlaced by nature. Why would it flicker even if only alternate lines are updated every 1/30 second. Also, I'm not sure how my Sony EX1 will work with those larger DVD players with a 10" screen and component inputs.

Dustin Sims June 1st, 2008 11:20 PM

Mount

Does anybody have an easy mounting solution yet? I'd like to put it on my rig with something like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Ball_Head.html

Dustin Sims June 1st, 2008 11:25 PM

Mount

I coincidentally stumbled upon this monitor at Circuit City and bought it the same day this thread started up. I'd been looking at LGs but got this because of the brightness and controls all on the front below the LCD panel.

Does anybody have an easy mounting solution yet? I'd like to mount it to my rig with something like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Ball_Head.html

I just don't know how to mount the monitor to that, other than just JB welding a bolt to it. Any suggestions?

Sorry for the double post. Anybody know how to delete that last one?

Bill Busby June 1st, 2008 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustin Sims (Post 886920)
Sorry for the double post. Anybody know how to delete that last one?

For at least an hour or two, something posted by an individual will be able to edit a original post. Just click the "edit" button instead of adding another post.

Dustin Sims June 1st, 2008 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Busby (Post 886922)
For at least an hour or two, something posted by an individual will be able to edit a original post. Just click the "edit" button instead of adding another post.

Yeah, I didn't realize it had posted. I hit enter to skip a line and my page did something weird like it reloaded (and obviously posted), but left me on the same message screen I was working on. Anyway, know of a way to delete it? The edit button says edit/delete on mouseover, but I don't see the option anywhere.

Bill Busby June 1st, 2008 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis (Post 886780)
I see some that are listed with Progressive modes, so perhaps this is the main improvement.

Speaking of specs/info, I'd only try to check manufacturers sites. These stores, CCity, BestBuy, etc etc., hardly ever have correct specs or info. Ex: On Circuit City's site, it lists specs for the other colors available (other than black) for the FX820 don't have speakers & to hear audio you have to use headphones or hook up to an audio system. Also, I noticed at least one listed as having component out & no composite out and also at least one as being progressive.

Dweebs :)

Gints Klimanis June 2nd, 2008 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik (Post 886640)
I ended up buying an LG model that was on clearance. It stood out from all the rest and had the clearest picture. The text was clearly legible and it just seemed "hi-res" in comparison. It turns out (from online research) that this one model of LG is listed on their site as being a VGA screen. Every other model is not listed this way and it is obvious as they look very low quality.

Marty, which model are you talking about? On the BestBuy site, I see two LG models:

The LG DP889 8" is listed with a WVGA (800x480) screen but no video inputs. Its Zoom selector feature looks interesting. What do you think?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....#productdetail

The LG DP885 is listed with a WQVGA (480x234) screen and includes a video input. You probably don't have this one judging by the resolution.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1200702389704

Gints Klimanis June 2nd, 2008 01:01 PM

Other low cost options are smaller LCD TVs, although they aren't as portable and have no battery power. Has anyone seen a smaller unit? The Sony store has a thin but very expensive OLED TV.

InsigniaŽ - 15" 720p Widescreen Flat-Panel LCD

Here is another avenue to explore: battery powered LCd TVs, although this particular unit has neither the resolution not the component video inputs we're looking for:

http://www.lcddigital.tv/6-tv.html

Chris Barcellos June 2nd, 2008 04:22 PM

I've shot with this unit before:

http://www.lcd4video.com/lcd4video_s...d_monitor.html

The director for my last shoot had one of the $200.00 combo pack. I does have a 12 volt battery brick in a bag you can shoulder carry during hand held, and I would have used it, except that we had someone let us use his Nebtek monitor at last moment.

Gints Klimanis June 3rd, 2008 02:18 AM

I checked out the Best Buy selection of DVD player models, looking for these:
The LG DP889 8" (WVGA , 800x480 but no video inputs?)
The LG DP885 (WQVGA 480x234 + a video input

The Best Buy setup was great in that they had demo disks, although you have to open all of the units to find the same ones. Although the prices didn't vary that much, there was a huge difference in quality. The Sony FX820 wasn't there, but the FX810 looked about the same. The Toshiba 9" looked fuzzy, pretty much every unit looked fuzzy with obvious jaggies and "interlace" line artifacts. The only decent one in clarity and contrast was the Insignia 10.2" although its color depth was low in that banding was easily seen in browns. It is obviously better than the Sony FX820 in hand. Of the bunch, I'd go for that one. Next test is to bring in my Sony EX1 for a test drive in the store.

The major trouble with buying a 10.2" portable DVD is that the 15" 720p and 1600x1050 LCD TVs with component inputs were in the next aisle selling for the same price. I know, I know, they're not portable as they require AC power. Hmmm. Perhaps one of the smaller Uninterruptible Power Supplies for $75 would do.

Jerome Cloninger June 4th, 2008 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome Cloninger (Post 885391)
Bill, I finally found the source! I used these guys a long time ago for something else...

http://www.pacificcable.com/Picture_...ataName=BNC35C

They're relatively cheap and you can choose your length. I just ordered 2 and requested for right angle plugs. Hope they come through with it.

I got the 2 cables in today. They put a stereo 3.5mm plug on the ends vs the mono as stated on site, BUT it works. I plugged into LCD and works fine. They also didn't do the right angle plugs, but for ~$8 what can I expect?