DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Finally! External LCD Monitor Solution < $200 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/121801-finally-external-lcd-monitor-solution-200-a.html)

Shaun Roemich September 2nd, 2008 04:12 PM

Re: the LCD "manufacturer" Gints mentions.

Quick caution: do a Google search on the URL and follow the link to the HV20/HV30 forum for more info.

Gints Klimanis September 2nd, 2008 04:41 PM

Thanks. I found more positive words here :

Http://www.manhattanlcd.com/ - Lumenlab

I just received a reply from Manhattan LCD stating that they are in Orlando, FL.

Shaun Roemich September 2nd, 2008 06:19 PM

Good. I didn't REALLY doubt the seller but Caveat Emptor, right?

Gints Klimanis September 6th, 2008 01:37 AM

With this HD monitor on the way, I'm selling my Sony FX820 portable DVD player monitor. Send me an email and make an offer.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/private-c...vd-player.html

Kevin Sawicki November 13th, 2008 11:50 PM

LCD4VIDEO vs Sony

Which is better? They are both around the same price.

http://lcd4video.com/products.php?pr...2v-Battery-Kit

or

DVP-FX820 | Portable DVD Player - Black | Sony | SonyStyle USA

Gints Klimanis November 18th, 2008 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Sawicki (Post 963502)
Which is better? They are both around the same price.

I've owned the Sony FX820 and haven't seen the other LCD kit. The weird thing about the LCD kit is the 1440x234 resolution. Very odd combination of high horizontal rez and low vertical rez. Both appear to have low viewing angles. Though, the Sony's inputs are very soft anyway ev en though it advertizes 800x480. On-screen text overlays are sharp, but corners on DVD menu are soft. It's not just that the component input isn't great, but there is some issue with NTSC deinterlacing the produces an excessively soft image. The Sony FX820 is the best of the portable DVD player bunch under $300 as I tested a dozen. I would be wary about image softness due to the low vertical rez of the 4LCD kit, so let us know how well it works. It advertises a horizontal flip option, but you need a vertical flip if you use one of the 35mm adapters. I liked that the Sony FX820 allowed you to fold and invert its screen for the image flip.

Giroud Francois November 18th, 2008 05:20 PM

1440x234 is in fact 480x234, because sometime the horizontal pixel count is expressed in RGB mode. (you got 3 physical pixels to make one image dot).

Josh Chesarek November 18th, 2008 10:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This thread got me thinking as I wanted something to allow for easy viewing at sporting events. I have had a portable DVD Player for some time which has not gotten a whole lot of use. I think it will get more attention now :)

Matthew Petersen December 3rd, 2008 04:57 PM

I'm ordering a couple of the little Sony's today, so thanks for the tip guys.

In terms of mounting, I was hoping to do something self contained.

I came across this: Hot Shoe Mount to L Bracket at Markertek.com

and I'm wondering (not knowing the weight of the Sony) if the XLH1's shoe would be sturdy enough to support it?

Question 2, the XLH1 comes with a metal bracket that screws on the back, which I believe is a battery mounting option of the "V" type. I wonder if there is a mounting option there? Do only batteries mount with the "V" system, or could I for instance pick up the appropriate male "V" piece and attach that to the back of the Sony?

Matthew

Dana Salsbury December 16th, 2008 08:00 PM

I picked up the FX820 and need the right cord for my FX1. I have component out and s-video out. I read the earlier posts, but don't see how that would work. Ideas?

Matthew Petersen December 16th, 2008 08:33 PM

Dana, according to the manual, the FX1 has a composite video/audio output via a mini-jack.

I guess there are two options... purchase a male-male 3 RCA adapter piece and join the camera's mini-jack cable to the Player's RCA-Minijack cable, or, for a far more elegant solution, make a mini-jack to mini-jack cable and dispense with the adapters.

If you choose the latter, you'll have to do a bit of fooling about to see which bit of the mini-jack maps to what (I'm not sure if there is a standard).

If you only want vision, then all you need do is join the yellow output rca to the yellow input RCA with a single male-male adapter.

It's funny you should post this today as my two 870's just arrived this morning! All good so far, though I am searching for a good mounting solution for them. I really would love to attach them to the camera in some way.

Matthew

Kan Yeung December 17th, 2008 07:44 AM

Small HD field monitors

iKan has just introduce V8000HDe, a replacement for the V8000HD, same price, but allows multiple options of DV battery

Dana Salsbury December 17th, 2008 06:22 PM

It should be working but it isn't. I'm using yellow rca 1/8" males for the connection, and the only thing I see on the player is a black screen with 'Line In' on the upper left. The menus don't help. I could try S-video to RCA, but it seems like this should work. I tried both filming mode and VCR mode. Thoughts?

Another cam I want to use is an HC3 and has HDMI and Firewire out. Would either work?

Matthew Petersen December 17th, 2008 06:35 PM

Dana, if we can just go back one step: check to see that you are using the specific LINE IN video cable that comes with the player. It has three male RCA plugs on one end and two 3.5 minijack plugs on the other, one of them a yellow MONO plug, the other a black STEREO plug.

The reason I ask is that when I first hooked mine up I was using the triple-collar yellow minijack lead. This is the WRONG one.

HDMI and Firewire are both digital and the player will only take analogue signals, so you're out of luck there. But according the manual I just downloaded, the HC3 does have the combination audio/video composite out in the form of a minijack marked "A/V", just like the FX1.

Hope this helps.

matthew

Dana Salsbury December 17th, 2008 09:15 PM

Thank you Michael,

Yes, that is the adapter I'm using. I have it plugged into three couplers and a 3-RCA to an 1/8th mono plug. I guess my next step is to hook it to a dvd player to make sure it's not the Sony player.