Finally! External LCD Monitor Solution < $200 - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old June 4th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #91
Trustee

FYI. The LG unit that I bought was a discontinued model. It was the DP781. It was the display model. It is going back. Why? Not because it is bad. But because I verified that I viewed the Sony 810 in Best Buy which looked bad and swayed me away from Sony. They have the 820 in stock, and although I cannot see the screen in the box, I trust that it is every bit as good as the LG.

To add to this, the LG being a sample model didn't have the remote, battery unit or car charger either. It was discounted, but by the time I rig up stuff for all those extras I can just buy the Sony straight up.

Thanks all.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 03:38 PM   #92
Major Player

Jerome, funny you mentioned this. I got mine today as well... opened it up, saw the stereo plug... and went "Dayumm idgits"! But... as you said, it still works :D
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #93
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik View Post
FYI. The LG unit that I bought was a discontinued model. It was the DP781. It was the display model. It is going back. Why? Not because it is bad. But because I verified that I viewed the Sony 810 in Best Buy which looked bad and swayed me away from Sony. They have the 820 in stock, and although I cannot see the screen in the box, I trust that it is every bit as good as the LG.
The Sony 820 looks about the same as the 810. I wish I could have compared the LG, but it appeared to be broken and wouldn't read any of the DVDs. However, the default screen just didn't look that much better than the 810 on display. The Insignia 10.2" looks better than 80 or 820. For testing, I would bring along a few copies of the same DVD with a decent menu so you can compare same image.

While I like the convenience of a small portable DVD player, the image quality just isn't there. Yes, it is easier to focus in full view mode with these 8" displays than using the camcorder LCD. However, the Expanded view mode on the camcorder LCD beats the display on the DVD player. my particular camcorder (Sony EX1) doesn't output the Expanded view over composite, so I'm left longing for a monitor that accepts component inputs. The next investigation IS the smaller 15-20" LCD TVs in the $300-500 price range.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 12:20 PM   #94
Regular Crew

I donīt understand why anyone would chose this one over the lilliput lcd? Itīs the same price but you can use both component and shoe adapter and it has a better screen as far as I know.

http://www.lilliputweb.net/ts619.html

Or am I missing something here? :)
Old June 5th, 2008, 02:43 PM   #95
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Mark View Post
I don´t understand why anyone would chose this one over the lilliput lcd? It´s the same price but you can use both component and shoe adapter and it has a better screen as far as I know.

This looks good. I only see RCA input in the specs, and the pictures of the cables are for composite video. The primary advantage of the portable DVD players is that they are battery operated and can run several hours. If you're running on A/C, you might as well get a 15" LCD TV with component input and as close to 1080p as as you can get.

Last edited by Gints Klimanis; June 5th, 2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old June 5th, 2008, 04:57 PM   #96
Inner Circle

I did a side-by-side comparison of various portable DVD players at Fry's Electronics with three copies of the same DVD, leaving the disk in a motion menu. I wish the Memorex 10" and LG 8" were there. The battery life for the 10" units is often listed at 2 hours some of the 8" (Sony FX820) run for six hours, probably with DVD.

Best looking:
Philips PET1030 10" $279 sharpest of them all. Metal edge was hot.

Runner ups:
Sony DVP-FX820 8.5" $179 sharpest of 8" group, but not as good as Philips
Coby 10" DVD1020 $199 soft (may not allow 4:3 mode?)
AudioVox 10" D201 $399, very soft, most shadow noise

Resolution appears to be much less than 800x480. Are these 800x234 ? The vertical resolution was the limiting factor.
Sony DVP-FX810 $149 horrible
Panasonic DVD-LS82 $179 horrible
Panasonic DVD-LS86 $199 Horrible
Toshiba 9" (missed model#) horrible
Old June 5th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #97
Major Player

Quote:
I don´t understand why anyone would chose this one over the lilliput lcd? It´s the same price but you can use both component and shoe adapter and it has a better screen as far as I know.

A component to VGA converter is needed such as the Mayflash unit, but you would have to rig up some kind of battery supply for it to be portable instead of using the AC adapter. Since 6V is all it needs, 4 AA's could be wired in series. Just need a battery holder for the AA's.

This combo would probably look really noticeably nicer though considering the Mayflash upscales through the VGA out. Lilliput should make a black unit (Silver does noting for me :) ... with a red stripe around the sides... match a Canon lens :D
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 06:34 AM   #98
Trustee

I got the Sony 820 and returned the LG 781 which was a floor model anyway. I haven't had a serious chance to test it with camera but I did watch a DVD on it and I can say without a doubt that it is far superior to the Sony 810. However, it may not be quite as good as the LG was. It seems a tiny bit more washed out and oddly the viewing angles are weird.

I find the image to look its best when you tilt the screen slightly forward. In other words, when looking at it straight on with the screen at a 90 degree angle to your eyes it looks a tad dark. Tipping it forward ever so slightly brightens the image and it really pops! I can continue to tip it and the image does not get worse like you typically see with an LCD viewed off angle. However if I tip it backward from the 90 degree angle it quickly disintegrates into a reverse image and it is hard to make out anything. I do not remember the LG having this issue at all.

Regardless, the Sony is my choice as I got it at Circuit City in a package with a case, headphones and a 15% OFF COUPON that brought it to around $160 with tax. I had paid $129 for the LG with nothing but the unit and a power cord. With the Sony I get the 5-6 hour battery, a remote, cables including a card adapter and the other bonuses. Heck, the carrying case from CC even includes a car mounting kit. When not in use for video production I may occassionally use this for my daughter to watch movies on long trips in the car!

Peace all!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 07:01 AM   #99
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby View Post
A component to VGA converter is needed such as the Mayflash unit, but you would have to rig up some kind of battery supply for it to be portable instead of using the AC adapter. Since 6V is all it needs, 4 AA's could be wired in series. Just need a battery holder for the AA's.

This combo would probably look really noticeably nicer though considering the Mayflash upscales through the VGA out. Lilliput should make a black unit (Silver does noting for me :) ... with a red stripe around the sides... match a Canon lens :D
Yes you need the MayFlash but thatīs just an extra 50$. Then get one Tekkeon battery and you are good to go. :) I know a lot of people using this setup. Belive me this a way better solution.

The monitor is actually black but comes in silver also.

You can buy it here : http://cgi.ebay.com/LILLIPUT-7-619GL...QQcmdZViewItem

"Color of housing: BLACK COLOR ONLY."
Old June 6th, 2008, 12:13 PM   #100
Inner Circle

Quote:
Yes you need the MayFlash but thatīs just an extra 50$. Then get one Tekkeon battery and you are good to go. :) I know a lot of people using this setup. Belive me this a way better solution.
I'd believe it. The video sharpness of the portable DVD players seems limited mostly by video processing. The single color video overlays on the Sony FX820 are crisp, but the video (LineIn or DVD) is not.

I like the Mayflash box. Is there an affordable component->DVI box?

Also, is it possible to adjust this monitor to greyscale? I like that option on the portable DVD players, which is possible by reducing the color parameter.

Last edited by Gints Klimanis; June 6th, 2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old June 20th, 2008, 11:43 PM   #101
Major Player

hey guys would you suggest me buying the Sony 820 and turning it over, or buying a microX so i can continue on using the built in monitor? Im on a Canon A1 with a redrock thanks =D
Old June 22nd, 2008, 12:29 AM   #102
New Boot

All of the 7" pro monitors I have seen have the same 800x480 resolution.
The only difference is HD input capability but since this is only SD resolution it shouldn't make much difference.
It is a question of scaling in the camera or monitor. For PAL it will be both.
Component input would be a bit better but at this price compared to a pro monitor who is complaining.
I have often looked at portable and car players and wondered how they would work. Some even have a detachable second monitor.
Thanks for the tip.
Malcolm
Malcolm Dyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 06:43 PM   #103
Major Player

Anyone want to share their mounting solutions? The sony FX811 works great for me btw.
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 07:54 PM   #104
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Dyer View Post
All of the 7" pro monitors I have seen have the same 800x480 resolution.
The only difference is HD input capability but since this is only SD resolution it shouldn't make much difference.
It is a question of scaling in the camera or monitor. For PAL it will be both.
Component input would be a bit better but at this price compared to a pro monitor who is complaining.
There is something going on with video deinterlacing. The LCD displays shows the green overlay text (say, "Line In") with perfect sharpness, but DVD played from the internal DVD player look mushy.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 10:43 PM   #105
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
There is something going on with video deinterlacing. The LCD displays shows the green overlay text (say, "Line In") with perfect sharpness, but DVD played from the internal DVD player look mushy.
I don't get that at all on mine. I've yet to see a DVD that wasn't sharp... video or text.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software