Using A Macbook as an external monitor. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old May 28th, 2008, 08:51 AM   #1
Major Player

Using A Macbook as an external monitor.

Greetings.

I've searched these forums but couldn't quite get the answer I was looking for so here goes:

I have a Macbook (non intel) and I was wondering if that can be somehow connected to a Canon XH A1 as an external monitor.

A couple of things: I don't need or want to record to any hard drive, just the camera's tape. I would like to just use the laptop for those heavy breathing clients so that they can see what I see. If this can be done, can you also monitor as you record to tape? This question came to mind as I was reading through another thread that there is a Sony product, DVP-820, that some are using. I just thought, hey, I've got a $3000.00 laptop, why can't I use that?

In my search, I found a few people that are using something called Capture Magic HD. I checked this out and it does look really cool and for 90US dollars seems reasonable , but from the description, it sounds like it just records to a hard drive. I've also read a bit about Adobe's OnLocation.

And the last part of my question: If the only way to record is to the/a hard drive, does the video get compressed in any way, or is it still in it's unaltered HDV state. Does it record simultaniously to the camera's tape? If it is truely unaltered, then shooting to the hard drive could be great.

Sorry for the really long question.

Cheers.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #2
Major Player

There are a few recent threads about this, like:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=122011 and
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=119122

In short: Veescope and Scopebox will let you capture live from your HDV camera over firewire. They will display HDV coming over the firewire, which in it's "unaltered state" is compressed.

All applications that can show the output from the camera can usually record it, even if you don't need that.

There may be a delay of a couple of seconds between live and when it's displayed, also depending on your hardware.

Adobe OnLocation is PC only.

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:28 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi George.

I didn't see those threads. Thanks. And I didn't consider Imovie as a source for for monitoring video.

But the main question is will the camera still record to tape while monitoring in Imovie.

Tnaks.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #4
Major Player

Yes, the camera will still record to tape. There is an app called PreDView which will show any FireWire input source. And it's free.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kroonder View Post
Adobe OnLocation is PC only.
I'm going to try Apple BootCamp to run Windows on my MacBookPro. I tried OnLocations with VMWare Fusion, but the VMWare doesn't support Firewire. I wish camcorders would move to using USB instead of Firewire for digital video streaming as many camcorder already have USB2 ports on them.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2008, 08:05 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Adobe OnLocation CS4 for Mac!

Adobe - OnLocation CS4 Mac on Vimeo
Marc Jayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 03:52 AM   #7
Regular Crew

What the heck?!?

Hi, I just stumbled upon OL on my macs, as we all have CS4 installed...what the heck? Is adobe saying that the lcd screen portion of the program labeled "Monitor" is a true field monitor? How could that be? I'm really curious, cause I am currently trying to do some post work in the field with nothing more then my camera and an CRT TV hooked up to my XL1s. I am going to DVD, so I am color correcting in FCP before mastering the DVD. Is there anything that OL can help me with here? I think I see it's purpose in shooting, as it has scopes that u can look at and make camera adjustments, I just don't understand why they call the unput display a field monitor...is it really showing anything accurate in the PAL or NTSC color space??? How could that be possible on say the macbook pro? Thanks for any clues here...
Herojig Gaton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software