Panasonic Plasma for computer / editing use? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old June 10th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Panasonic Plasma for computer / editing use?

If someone having experience with plasma tevevision could advise, that would be awesome.

I'm looking at either a Toshiba 42" LCD (which is clearly PC friendly according to the user manual) OR a Panasonic 42" Plasma TV (model TH-42PZ80U) which is a 1080P model. The problem: is it PC friendly? It has HDMI connectivity, but from what someone said, it will support video only. If I connect my PC to the TV it may not work for using as a monitor since it doesn't support RGB, or so I'm told. I'm getting confused.

Is there a way to get this to work as a PC monitor? I do see that some Panasonic models mention PC connectivity. Any help would be appeciated!

Thanks . . .

Ian
Ian Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I've plugged my MacBookPro DVI output into the HDMI input of my Sony Bravia 52" 1920x1080 with a DVI->HDMI converter cable. It was difficult to get the MacBookPro to fill the screen unless I put it in dual screen mode.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

LCD may be better as a PC Monitor. If you have the monitor on a desk and sitting close to the screen, say 2 ft away, LCD will look better & sharper. The Pixels on Plasma are bigger and meant to be seen from a distance. Which is why most plasmas are not PC friendly.

Just go to your store and stand 2 ft away from a Plasma and LCD screen and you'll see the difference!
James R. Leong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software