Camcorder As A Cheap External Monitor Interface... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old June 21st, 2008, 12:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Camcorder As A Cheap External Monitor Interface...

i've been using a borrowed Sony DSR-11 to view my FCP material on an external monitor, but i have to return the deck to its owner. so i'm looking for a cheap way to go FCP>external monitor. will any cheapo miniDV camcorder allow me to do this? (i've also used a Sony PDX10 as interface to an external monitor...but i didn't know if a cheapo miniDV camcorder would also do the trick). thanks!
Jon Downs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2008, 05:14 PM   #2
Wrangler

If you just want to go from firewire to an external monitor, there are cheaper solutions than a camera. For example: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...rectional.html That box will provide you with composite, s-video and component output .

If you want to be able to record to tape as well as connect a monitor, then a cheap camcorder would probably be a better solution. Not very familiar with cheap camcorders, but guessing that many of them only offer composite video output instead of s-video or component.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 07:18 AM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks boyd. i think i do want a cheap camera instead of the link you provided, because it would be nice to use the device to import tapes as well. but good suggestion, thanks.

i know any cheap miniDV cam would output video through the firewire into the computer, but i'm still wondering if any old camera will accept video from the computer via firewire, and then output through the component/s-video...like i said, i remember using a PDX10 in this manner, but i had to turn on a feature in the menu called "DV IN" or something like that...so it makes me wonder if all cameras have that capability.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 07:47 AM   #4
Wrangler

You shouldn't have needed to turn anything on to show video on a monitor with the PDX-10 - that should be enabled by default. You need to access that menu if you want to capture analog video on a PDX-10 or other Sony camera.

I don't think there's really any answer to your question "if any old camera" will do what you want. Cameras are different. You will need to look closely at the specs of the models you're considering to determine the answer, or ask other members about their experience with a specific make and model camera.

I seriously doubt if any "cheap" camera will give you component video output. That's a feature on more expensive (generally HD) camcorders. Cheap cameras will probably only offer composite video output, possibly s-video. That was one reason I suggested the ADS box, because it offers component video at a low price. Of course, your monitor needs to accept component video for that to be a useful feature.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 07:48 AM   #5
Inner Circle

no, cheap video camera usually do not have DV in turned on (at least in europe, where duty tax are more expensive for device with video input).
additionally not all device with DVin will forward the signal to video out (mostly composite video or at best Y/C).
for sure, a cheap cam is a good investment, since it can act as a tape drive, video converter, B cam, portable VCR, monitor at $300 for the cheapest, while a conversion box would cost you half that price for much less functions.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 09:10 PM   #6
Regular Crew

well, i found an open box Sony DCR-HC28 for $100...so i picked it up. it works well as an interface to an external monitor, and i'll probably use it as a playback device for inputting footage from my PDX10 and Z1U (SD). one thing that concerns me, the DCR-HC28 doesn't shoot 16:9, so is it a bad idea to use it to import 16:9 video from my other two cameras?
Old June 24th, 2008, 04:13 AM   #7
Wrangler

Jon, whether the camera shoots 16:9 is irrelevant, unless you plan to film with it. All DV is the same (720x480) regardless of whether it was shot in 16:9. The only difference is a flag which is set in the video stream to tell monitors and software that the source video is anamorphic. But that shouldn't be an issue. When you capture in FCP, just be sure to use the NTSC-DV Anamorphic easy setup. Even if you forget to do this, it won't be a problem. In the clip browser, scroll all the way towards the righthand side and click the Anamorphic column so that a check appears.

Giroud: I think the lack of DV in is a quirk of European camcorders. In my experience that isn't an issue here in the US, but of course it's best to check the specifications on any camera before buying.
Old June 24th, 2008, 06:42 AM   #8
Major Player

4:3 dv and 16:9 dv anamorphic are the exact same image size and aspect ratio from a capturing standpoint. If your NLE can flag the footage from the cheapy camcorder as anamorphic, then there shouldnt be any issue capturing the 16:9 from the 4:3 deck.

And just to be snarky, not all dv is 720x480. Here in the other 60% of the planet, its 720x576. You need the extra resolution because the women are that much more beautiful and the children are exactly 96 lines smarter.
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 08:08 AM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Dean View Post
And just to be snarky, not all dv is 720x480. Here in the other 60% of the planet, its 720x576. You need the extra resolution because the women are that much more beautiful and the children are exactly 96 lines smarter.
Haha... Actually I thought about mentioning PAL, but since the OP was clearly in the US I decided not to. Sounds like I need to visit your part of the world... and I can bring my Z1 set for 50i mode so as not to miss anything ;-)
Old June 24th, 2008, 09:22 AM   #10
Regular Crew

thanks for all your help, guys.
Jon Downs is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software