HP's Dream Color vrs MXO/2 setup at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old July 31st, 2008, 03:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HP's Dream Color vrs MXO/2 setup

Hi I'm looking into a system for accurate color correction (mainly), what are the opinions between these two options, (http://www.studiodaily.com/studiomon...ssue/9633.html) a
monitor with high color precision vrs. the mxo/2 in-out box with compatible dvi/hdtv monitor. The mxo2 with hdtv sounds like an appealing option but hasn't been out yet and isn't tested like the mxo...it has more input options as well...the DreamColor monitor was invented for Dreamworks (quality), so the first units will be scarce but I can wait a month or two. Any thoughts between those two options?
Jeremiah Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 03:15 AM   #2
Major Player

The HP DreamColor looks like a fantastic option. Its claims of "CRT-class black" and "Rec. 601, Rec. 709, and DCI-P3 emulation factory calibration" are very impressive. And its "optional HP DreamColor Advanced Profiling Solution to create your own color space and define primaries, gamma, white point, and luminance" makes it sound like a well-thought-out solution at the low end for monitoring Digital Cinema projects.

I noted that the writer hadn't seen it tested on live-action video yet (only animation). Also of note is the comment, "You’ll also need a graphics card, graphics card driver and software that are 30-bit compatible." I'm wondering how compatible this is with the Mac platform (Mac Pro and/or iMac).

I guess we'll have to see reports from the early adopters (as I think the DreamColor is now shipping).

The Matrox MXO solution is currently a worry. It can't be calibrated on a current system (FCP 6.0.4 and QuickTime 7.5). So, if you buy one, you'd probably have to downgrade your system just to get it to work. I was looking at buying one (MXO) next week, but it's been two months and Matrox still haven't fixed it. If they're not going to keep it current, how on earth do they expect to attract new customers?

Maybe you'll have more luck with MXO2 as it's a new product and Matrox will have more attention on keeping it current.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 03:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I didn't know the mxo (original) was lagging in updates, I'm glad I have a month or two before having to make a decision. I have a Radeon X1900 so maybe I'd need a new graphics card for the DreamColor. Thanks for he great info!
Jeremiah Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 04:34 PM   #4
Major Player

From the ATI Radeon site (for the X1900):
"16 bit per channel floating point HDR and 10 bit per channel DVI output.
Programmable piecewise linear gamma correction, color correction, and color space conversion (10 bits per color)"
http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonX1900/specs.html

In the Studio Daily article, he said, "We’re talking about a 30-bit display (10 bits per primary color) ...". So perhaps it might be okay with your X1900 (?).

I was also checking the ATI Radeon site for the graphics card on my iMac (ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro) and it said, "Full 30-bit display processing" and "Each supports 18-, 24-, and 30-bit digital displays at all resolutions up to 1920x1200 (single-link DVI) ...".

And the DreamColor is "1920 x 1200 pixels (native)", so that all seems like good news for me!

I'm not sure about the bit where he (Studio Daily) also says, "30-bit compatible graphics card driver".

As to whether FCP, Motion, Color and Shake are "30-bit compatible", I have no idea. A quick check of FCS specs on the Apple website wasn't very fruitful.

Perhaps someone with a genuine expertise in this area can weigh in?

The DreamColor is certainly an intriguing option for the Mac platform. If it is truly compatible.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #5
Major Player

No matter what monitor you go w/you'll still need a way to get a b'cast quality signal out of the computer (MXO/MXO2, AJA, Blackmagic, etc.,). Hooking up the DreamColor directly to your GFX card will get you a very nice portrayal of an inaccurate video signal.

-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software