Video Monitors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old August 8th, 2008, 04:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Video Monitors

Hi all

I am currently looking to build up my equipment so that I can do video-editing more effectively. I have a Mac Pro with Final Cut Pro. At the moment I have a normal Samsung monitor.

After doing some research I've discovered that I need to get a video monitor (either CRT/LCD) so that it gives a truer representation of the picture quality etc. I'm a newbie at this, so I'm looking to see if I could get advise on a make/model. A lot of the terms are 'double dutch' to me at present, so any help/advice you can give will be much appreciated!

What models etc would you recommend? Regarding to budget, trying to keep it under £500. Working with SD at the moment, but HD may be an option in the future.

(I'm based in the UK.)

Many thanks.
James Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 08:17 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi James,

Monitoring your edits is a very important part of creating high quality products, and as such isn't really a place to go for the cheapest solution - especially if you're looking at HD in the future.

Firstly you'll need a video card capable of outputting the footage you're working with, your cheapest option here that will cover you for lower-end HD production (HDV, XDCAM, DVCPRO HD) would be the Blackmagic Intensity pro which will give you HDMI output. This isn't the highest quality HD signal (Or card - BM are notorious for low-cost production and components) but will give a good representation of your footage. This card would then be coupled with a HDMI monitor such as the Sony LMD2030W. This solution will come in at around £1440 inc vat (£1228 ex) You could look at a low-end HDTV with HDMI, but the quality of these is very low and not classed anywhere near grading quality.

Obviously a SD solution will be alot cheaper, but this will lead you to investing in a new monitor and video card when you come to move on the a HD workflow....
Jamie Allan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software