DIY Monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old August 11th, 2008, 10:49 AM   #1
New Boot

DIY Monitor

I have managed to get my hands on a 12" macbook pro that doesn't work anymore. I am wondering if it would be possible to use the monitor as a field monitor for my camera. If anyone has any experience or tips with something like this please let me know.
Mark Doherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 01:41 PM   #2
Major Player

First of all, there never was a 12" MacBook Pro. There was a 12" PowerBook G4. Are you talking about fixing it and using software on it, or do you want to just use the LCD as a monitor? The latter is kinda tough to do because you need special hardware bits for decoding the composite signal and driving the LCD.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 12:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

There's quite a brisk trade in good condition laptop monitor screens that are being used in DIY monitor projects (mostly Sharp, Toshiba & Samsung). Just sell your laptop for parts and put that money towards a real DIY kit.You'll be building a TRUE HD field monitor for about 1/7th the cost of a commercial product. Unless you're a wiz at creating driver circuits this is the way to go.Forget all thoughts of running the signal into the laptop etc. In fact, I'm building a 7.2" kit now.

I show how here.

Imago Metrics:Toshiba 10.9" DIY Enclosure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Doherty View Post
I have managed to get my hands on a 12" macbook pro that doesn't work anymore. I am wondering if it would be possible to use the monitor as a field monitor for my camera. If anyone has any experience or tips with something like this please let me know.
M. Paul El-Darwish is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software