2 low cost HD field monitors - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old December 2nd, 2008, 07:21 PM   #91
Regular Crew

This is understandable, there are definitely people such as yourself where this is super important to them..

However in the 100s of people i've spoken with, it's an issue that rarely comes up as a concern, because most people color correct in post now, so if perfect color balanced isn't achieved in the field between cameras, its something that is easily remedied in-house.

Thank you for your kind words, though. We will be catering to these and many other needs as we progress... first things first!

Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Donnenfield View Post
Dale et al,
I don't mean to ignite a controversy regarding your priorities around providing a field monitor that makes focusing HD easy. There's no doubt that a crisp HD image is critical. But, I have yet to find maintaining focus using our HVX200 much of a problem. Maybe it's more of a problem with the larger chip cameras.

But evaluating other aspects of the image is much trickier: color, contrast and ratios, etc., you know, the details that set a superior image apart from an adequate one, take precise controls and feedback with true fidelity. That is why the "blue gun" is so essential, or at least some means of ensuring image calibration.

I get what you're trying to do in SmallHD's infancy, and it's laudable, but I may not be able to wait for the next gen to meet my needs.
Dale Backus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 08:30 AM   #92
New Boot

New features

Dale,
Really appreciate your informative responses. The next logical question then is, will you be able to add features to previously-purchased monitors. In my case, if I buy one of your new LCD monitors arriving in January and later you add blue-gun capability, would I have to buy an entirely new monitor to get that feature? Or, will this first gen unit be sufficiently modular to permit updates as substantial as blue-gun?
thanks,
David Donnenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 07:40 AM   #93
Sponsor: MicroSearch, iKan

Small field HD Monitor

iKan have two new version of 8" field monitor, V8000HDMI for only $ 995 and V8000HD2 which is the same monitor spec without the HDMI input for $ 795.
Kan Yeung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 12:50 PM   #94
Tourist

Partial solution to lack of blue-gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Donnenfield View Post
There may be other technical issues with these two particular, appealing-looking, monitors (SmallHD and Manahttan), but one matter that concerns me greatly is that they don't have blue gun capability. How is one going to calibrate the monitor without seeing "blue bars" on the screen from the camera? Is there another method that these two monitors provide that is rock-solid and can be relied upon in a multi-cam situation?
David
I share your concern about the lack of blue gun capability on the SmallHD and Manhattan LCD. However, following a tip I found in The Filmaker's Handbook by Ascher and Pincus, you can still adjust a monitor that doesn't have blue-gun capability by using a Lee 363 blue gel (Appendix A, p. 767). It's not ideal, but it's better than nothing. Also, Appendix A in The Filmaker's Handbook provides a nice step-by-step tutorial for adjusting a monitor. This might be especially useful to those with limited experience, like myself.
Will Kalkhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 11:52 PM   #95
New Boot

Small HD monitor

Small HD monitor

Any feedback on this monitor yet?

Is this monitor already shipping?

What's the price? I don't see a price on their website...

Thank you,
Rafael
Rafael Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #96
Major Player

Rafael, in respect for Dale here I am not going to go into specifics but the projected release date is close, barrelling down on us like a freight train in fact! Price is TBA soon as well. Best thing to do is get on their mailing list via their website and hang tight! It's worth the wait!
Trevor Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #97
New Boot

Thank alot of the info Trevor.

I'll keep waiting.

I have a music video coming up in a few weeks, I totally needed this monitor :)

I have the JVC HD100 and the M2 mini35mm adapter and focusing on the small LCD screen is nearly impossible... But, I guess I'll keep on waiting.
Rafael Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 11:52 PM   #98
Major Player

See if you can rent something. Give the miniHD about a month or so. We should hear something before then! If I talk to dale soon I'll see if he wouldn't mind sharing some info here when he gets a chance :-) These monitors will totally be worth the wait though!
Old January 27th, 2009, 02:33 AM   #99
Regular Crew

Problems focusing

This is interesting, yes I too long for a small, affordable, true HD monitor that is also true to the camera's 16x9 output. However, this problem with shots being pin sharp. I personally don't find it difficult to follow focus (I hope), but one of the loudest complaints about 1/3-chip cameras is the huge depth of field they offer! Everyone is chasing shallow depth of field. I guess it's when you are using a 35 mm adapter or JVC's 16mm Arri converter that a monitor for focus becomes vital?
Stuart Nimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 05:22 AM   #100
Major Player

Exactly. As a redrock M2 user, I find the XH-A1's screen completely unusable. Bare camera, sure, who cares? Let the thing focus itself. I prefer the 35mm adapter look though, the bokeh is just downright gorgeous! Looking forward to the new smallHD monitors, I'm going to buy one the moment they become available.
Old January 30th, 2009, 05:06 PM   #101
Major Player

Hi all,

I'm just now chiming in on this thread and am also interested in the smallHD monitor everyone is talking about. I am looking for a monitor that I can use for focusing shots from a 12' crane. However, my script also has a shot of an actor riding a bicycle that will continue for maybe 3/4 of a mile where I will be following the actor and filming from the back of a truck. Therefore, I will need something batery powered unless anyone here thinks an AC adapter hooked to the cigerette lighter might not be a bad idea...

Regards,
Terry
Terry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 06:04 PM   #102
Regular Crew

It depends on your camera, I'm guessing it's 12V(+). I personally like to power my monitors using the same battery system (interchangeable and I just need one charger), or using an AC/ DC 12v converter - but we've dealt with that elsewhere. Car power? Well, better to rig a system that you can use without having to have a car with you I guess. I do run my 12v Dedo Lights in-car but that’s another matter. Monitors can eat power and don't usually have a low voltage cut-off, so beware draining batteries to the point of potential cell reversal.
Stuart Nimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 10:13 PM   #103
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Lee View Post
Hi all,

I'm just now chiming in on this thread and am also interested in the smallHD monitor everyone is talking about. I am looking for a monitor that I can use for focusing shots from a 12' crane. However, my script also has a shot of an actor riding a bicycle that will continue for maybe 3/4 of a mile where I will be following the actor and filming from the back of a truck. Therefore, I will need something batery powered unless anyone here thinks an AC adapter hooked to the cigerette lighter might not be a bad idea...

Regards,
Terry
Hey Terry,

You can power the smallHD monitors with the Tekkeon MP3450 found here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000S9JWJI...F2SY2ZQ66NT6S&

It's the battery that they recommend, and the one a lot of people are using on other field monitors. You can also add the MP3450-10 found here https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017DS0SS...6VQET0F90TDF2& for additional battery life, although the 3450 by itself is said to be able to power the monitor for 3-4 hours on its own... adding the -10 could almost double the run time!
Old February 2nd, 2009, 04:29 PM   #104
Major Player

Thanks Trevor, that certainly makes the SmallHD monitor the choice for me.

The price is $450 correct?

Any idea when it will be coming out?

One question about the battery supply; So bassically with this device I can simply plug it into the monitor and the camera powering both?

Terry.
Terry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 04:35 PM   #105
Major Player

Sign me up for wanting to know when this puppy comes out. It seems there's not been a peep from them lately. I'm really going to need a monitor in the next couple of weeks and this would solve all my woes.

SmallHD? Are you out there? :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software