2 low cost HD field monitors - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old November 8th, 2008, 03:47 PM   #61
Regular Crew

Hey all -

This is Dale with SmallHD.com -

Stumbled across this thread today and i thought it would be helpful if i were to shed some light on a few of the questions/concerns that i passed over while reading..

Sorry for the continually delayed release date. We originally created the 12" earlier this year, fully intending on releasing it in full for about 800-900 dollars. When we built our first prototype of the 12, we were astonished by the video quality and were able to truly understand what a benefit these products would be. So there was the first prototype, and then we redesigned and came up with a second prototype - leveraging off what we learned and a need for improvement from the first model.. After this and much more research and communication with many different suppliers and manufacturers, we really wanted to see if we would be able to make it smaller, lighter, and even better - while dropping the price from our originally intended 900 to about half that.

We are very close.

I can't give incredible detail at this moment, as the primary reason we've kept pretty quiet is we don't want to instill false hope or have to take back something we've said, but the new model's PRELIMINARY specs are as follows:

8.9" diagonal
1280x768
Very high contrast ratio
Super-wide 178 degree viewing angle
LED backlit - High brightness
Low-power consumption
HDMI, VGA, Component, S-Vid, Composite
1" Thick
Extremely lightweight - yet extremely durable/rigid anodized aluminum construction (more on this later)
Multiple 1/4 20 mounts (exact number to be determined) Input welcome
Custom quick-mount sunhood

We sincerely hope to be shipping these around the New year, with a more complete spec sheet and photos/renderings around Thanksgiving.

This monitor (name yet to be determined, suggestions?) is one of many Small HD Monitors SmallHD will be releasing - just have to walk before we run. This is a very impressive monitor that we hope to release for around 500 dollars. Our aim for this model was to get pixels into the pockets of the very under served low-budget indy film community. As we progress we will introduce more advanced and more involved models - HDSDI, etc.

Thanks all for your patience, and thanks for the good words, especially from those who have had their hands on one of our primitive prototypes.

Feel free to ask questions here, and i'll do my best to answer. Suggestions are always welcome.
Dale Backus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #62
Inner Circle

Thanks Dale sounds great. I look forward to the HDSDI unit.
Old November 9th, 2008, 11:25 AM   #63
Trustee

That sounds great Dale,
Thanks for the update. I had been to your site on a number of occasions as i'm looking at purchasing a field monitor in the very near future. These new developements you speak of sound very interesting. I will be following the progress of the new monitor with a very close eye.

Bryce
Old November 10th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #64
New Boot

"This monitor (name yet to be determined, suggestions?)"

OK how about H DEMON (HDemon/HDeMon etc)?

Regards
Paul Miley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 10:22 PM   #65
Regular Crew

Excellent news Dale, looking forward to being able to purchase your offering(s)...

Still thinking up names but how about the Pixie series of HD monitors?

Pixie to imply it's small and magical qualities... Plus Pixie and Pixel are somewhat similar words...

Cheers,

//Leo
Leo Versola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 05:50 AM   #66
Major Player

Dale,

May I suggest in the interests of your sales and web traffic that you include some reference to the letters 5DmkII on your monitor! Just a thought.

How about SmallHDmkII-5D

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 01:37 PM   #67
Inner Circle

Le Voyeur or Voyeur Grande would crack me up. Adding French wording to a product would increase the perceived value immensely to an American.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #68
Regular Crew

how to mount the Manhattan LCD monitor

Gints and others,

I tried sending an email but it didn't seem to work.

I wanted to thank you for your reviews of the Manhattan LCD 10.9 HD monitor. They prompted me to ordee one, which arrived yesterday. So far so good. The screen is nice and detailed and a welcome relief from the tiny LCD on my Canon XH-A1.

My question now is how to mount the thing. It's too big to go on the camera. Is there a recommended mount for a lighting stand? Or to attach to a leg of my tripod? I know I saw a picture somewhere of an articulated arm...

Any recommendations?

Thanks again for introducing me to the Manhattan 10.9. I've never used a Marshall, but it would have to be a heckuva lot better than the Manhattan to justify the 3X cost.
Greg Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #69
Major Player

Manfrotto, Noga and Zacuto all make arms, as do others. I personally use the Red Rock Micro shoulder support system and a Stickypod ball head (but any decent ball head will do)

Dan
Old November 14th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #70
Regular Crew

Glad you like it. I'm helping construct the user manual for this so anyone that's already figured out the 'hidden' menus and functions, feel free to share.
I found the 10.9 a tad unwieldy for anchoring to the tripod- just cause it's rather wide and could easily get knocked over in the process of operating a camera. So I believe in light-stand mounting it. Even a superlightweight stand is fine.
Some links...
Imago Metrics:Toshiba 10.9" DIY Enclosure
http://imagometrics.com/images/10.9Images/GrpA.jpg
My big thing with these monitors is a quick-release between the monitor and the stand adapter or mount. Quick Release makes for safe and quick mounts and dismounts and take a lot of wear off of the 1/4-20 threads ;)
This is the cheapest...
Brandess Kalt/Aetna - Tripod Quick Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Joyce View Post
Gints and others,

I tried sending an email but it didn't seem to work.

I wanted to thank you for your reviews of the Manhattan LCD 10.9 HD monitor. They prompted me to order one, which arrived yesterday. So far so good. The screen is nice and detailed and a welcome relief from the tiny LCD on my Canon XH-A1.

My question now is how to mount the thing. It's too big to go on the camera. Is there a recommended mount for a lighting stand? Or to attach to a leg of my tripod? I know I saw a picture somewhere of an articulated arm...

Any recommendations?

Thanks again for introducing me to the Manhattan 10.9. I've never used a Marshall, but it would have to be a heckuva lot better than the Manhattan to justify the 3X cost.
M. Paul El-Darwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #71
Regular Crew

manhatan lcd arm; hole

Thanks, Paul.

I've been looking at this:

Bogen / Manfrotto | Magic Arm Kit | 143 | B&H Photo Video

BTW, can you tell me what the right-most hole is on the face of the enclosure? The other holes are for the power light and buttons. IU'm wondering if a button or light was misaligned or just missed.

Thanks.
Greg Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 08:29 PM   #72
Regular Crew

Magic arm is a classic and yes, it will securely anchor the 10.9" monitor to anything. I do find the classic versions quite heavy. Rightmost hole?? Usually that's the IR port for the wireless remote. Which picture are you referring to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Joyce View Post
Thanks, Paul.

I've been looking at this:

Bogen / Manfrotto | Magic Arm Kit | 143 | B&H Photo Video

BTW, can you tell me what the right-most hole is on the face of the enclosure? The other holes are for the power light and buttons. IU'm wondering if a button or light was misaligned or just missed.

Thanks.
M. Paul El-Darwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 07:07 AM   #73
Major Player

That arm will work. My latest rig is here http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/photo-hd-...tml#post964344

Would like to try a SmallHD monitor on it as well.

Dan
Old November 19th, 2008, 06:18 PM   #74
Major Player

I spoke with Dale today regarding the new 9" monitors and I am SUPER stoked! I can't believe I spent $650 on a glidecam L5-Pro monitor... it's kind of a worthless piece of junk. I unboxed it today, plugged it into the XH-A1, then stuck it back in the box with an RMA to B&H... I'm going to hold out for this new SmallHD monitor. If it actually ships in January/February I'll be SUPER stoked and Dale, you can count on a purchase from me! It sounds like what you guys are doing is really cutting-edge stuff, and I am looking forward to the results.
Trevor Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 09:37 PM   #75
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Paul El-Darwish View Post
Magic arm is a classic and yes, it will securely anchor the 10.9" monitor to anything. I do find the classic versions quite heavy. Rightmost hole?? Usually that's the IR port for the wireless remote. Which picture are you referring to?
M.Paul,

Sorry I missed your post until now. Yes, the Magic arm is quite heavy, but seems nice and solid. Re: the hole, 1/2" to the right of the Input button. It looks like perhaps there should be a light there. It's bigger than the power light hole. Look at the picture here, the one showing the face of the monitor. You can see it:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/photo-hd-...tml#post964344
Greg Joyce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software