DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   2 low cost HD field monitors (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/129762-2-low-cost-hd-field-monitors.html)

Andrew Dean September 10th, 2008 10:46 AM

2 low cost HD field monitors

I suppose low cost is relative...

In my hunt for a jib monitor I found these two.
Both of these use the MST controller board. Composite, svideo, component (SD and HD), D DB15 (vga) and hdmc compatible hdmi!
Neither monitor comes with a battery option, but can run for 3 or so hours with a tekkeon 3450.
Both monitors are 250 nits, so not very bright outside, but the smallHD comes with a sunshade.
Both monitors are able to display a 720p signal at true 1:1 full rez.

Manhattan LCD
ABS case. 4 mount points. 1366x768 native resolution.
$559

SmallHD.com
Aluminum case. 6+ mount points. (new model rumored to have more). 1280x768 native resolution.
$450.

The manhattanlcd is a 10.9" screen, the smallHD is 12.1". However, the smalhd monitor is actually physically smaller due to a more compact case.

The manhattanlcd monitor can also be purchased as a kit with all the guts for $325 for those of you handy with building custom fabricated monitor enclosures.

Anyways. Thought you guys might wanna know. I plan on ordering the smallHD monitor when it is upgraded on the 15th. I'll post a review as soon as it comes.

cheers!

Gints Klimanis September 10th, 2008 04:38 PM

Excellent find on smallhd.com . It's odd that both of these companies have initial ship dates of 09/15 .

I'm confused by the multitudes of 12V batteries available. Which do you plan to use? I'd like one that is easy to recharge, runs for at least two hours and is not bigger than 6"x2"x4" .

Andrew Dean September 10th, 2008 05:50 PM

Yeah, i noticed that date thing too. I dont *think* there is any connection though.

The power issue remains to be seen. The manhattanlcd monitor can take from 8 to 12x.5 volts. In theory running it at 9v from the tekkeon should yield well over 2.5 hours. we'll see.

The tekkeon 3450 is what I'd like to use. They are "smart" batteries with charging curcuitry built in and a remaining power readout. They also have a usb port for powering usb devices and can be switched to multiple voltages so they could be used for other devices easily. At $120 I consider it well worth the cost for such versatility. I'll report back if i'm wrong. With the price of anton bauer batts and chargers, the tekkeon seems like the indy budget dream battery. we'll see.

As to size, the tekkeon is 6.85x.9x3.32. Its longer than you want, but smaller in the other two dimensions. Also, you can buy a second battery that hitches on to the 3450 for around $80 and effectively doubles its duration... still within that 2" thickness.

Its not the full 1080p HD 7.1" that samsung promised a few years ago, but its still an exciting time for low budget HD shooting. At 1/4 the siprice, these thins out-rez even the carrion by siniarch. And all the talk about what scaler is superior is kinda moot if the monitor shows full rez. . (at least at 720p)

I found some posts by the smallhd guys that the back mount was specifically designed to hold the tekkeon batteries. If they easily hook on , that would be a big plus for portability.

Cant wait until the 15th.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis (Post 932131)
Excellent find on smallhd.com . It's odd that both of these companies have initial ship dates of 09/15 .

I'm confused by the multitudes of 12V batteries available. Which do you plan to use? I'd like one that is easy to recharge, runs for at least two hours and is not bigger than 6"x2"x4" .

Gints Klimanis September 10th, 2008 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Dean (Post 932153)
As to size, the tekkeon is 6.85x.9x3.32. Its longer than you want, but smaller in the other two dimensions. Also, you can buy a second battery that hitches on to the 3450 for around $80 and effectively doubles its duration... still within that 2" thickness.

Thank you, Andrew. The battery you mention is a good size, and I was approximating what would fit in the back mounting area/counterweight of the Vortex Media VSB-1 shoulder mount. If it doesn't fit, I'll just mount it on the outside.

M. Paul El-Darwish September 10th, 2008 10:53 PM

I've built the MLCD 10.9 and posted a documentation of that here...
Imago Metrics:Toshiba 10.9" DIY Enclosure
It's great and make an ideal Director's monitor.
I'm also in process of doing the same sort of enclosure for the 7.2" Kit from Manhattan LCD. The 7.2" I got uses a pixelworks controller board that allows for much better image control that the MCT board does. Both run just fine off of 9.V setting on the Tekkeon 3450.
SHAMLESS PLUG.
*I market a great custom battery holder for the Tekkeons. We just went into production and so I'll post a message in the marketplace later

Gints Klimanis September 11th, 2008 12:07 AM

Yes, please post info about the battery holder.

Adam Woodworth September 13th, 2008 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Dean (Post 931972)
SmallHD.com
Aluminum case. 6+ mount points. (new model rumored to have more). 1280x768 native resolution.
$450.

Where did you see the $450 price for the SmallHD monitor? I don't see it on the website, although the order section is down right now (or maybe until the 15th).

Also does anyone know what the deal is with the 1280x768 resolutions of these LCDs? I would assume the extra pixels (768 is taller than 720) would just be unused, but the action photos seem to show the LCDs with the enitre screen filled. Does the image get stretched vertically?

Andrew Dean September 14th, 2008 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Woodworth (Post 934250)
Where did you see the $450 price for the SmallHD monitor? I don't see it on the website, although the order section is down right now (or maybe until the 15th).

Also does anyone know what the deal is with the 1280x768 resolutions of these LCDs? I would assume the extra pixels (768 is taller than 720) would just be unused, but the action photos seem to show the LCDs with the enitre screen filled. Does the image get stretched vertically?

The $450 i saw in a forum discussion on another site and i confirmed it with an email to Dale. As to how it displays 720p, i dont know. I also wonder on the 480/576 modes if you can view it at 1:1 without scaling.

For the price its worth it to me so i'll find out when it ships.

cheers!

M. Paul El-Darwish September 14th, 2008 05:44 PM

Here's the link.>> http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/932899-post1.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis (Post 932288)
Yes, please post info about the battery holder.

Gints Klimanis September 15th, 2008 03:02 AM

How about mounting hardware? Perhaps there was a tolerance for $100-300 parts, but now that the monitors are $500 and less, what options do we have ?

Marshall V-LCD-MT-01 Camera Hot Shoe Mount (supports up to 5.6" LCD monitors)
Marshall | V-LCD-MT-01 Camera Hot Shoe Mount | V-LCD-MT-01 | B&H
$19.95
Comment: is this strong enough ?

Tote Vision
MB-1 ABS Desk Stand for Smaller Tote Vision LCD Monitors, includes 1/4-20 Mounting Screw
Tote Vision | MB-1 ABS Desk Stand | MB-1 | B&H Photo Video
$24.95
Comment: for desk, not on camera?

Tote Vision
HS-1 Hot Shoe Mount for Tote Vision LCD Monitors
Tote Vision | HS-1 Hot Shoe Mount | HS-1 | B&H Photo Video
$26.95

Delvcam
DELV-SM Swivel Mount Adapter for Delvcam 5.6-Inch LCD Monitors
Delvcam | DELV-SM Swivel Mount Adapter | DELV-SM | B&H Photo
$29.95
Comments: Weight is 1 lb

Delvcam
LCD MONITOR MONOPOD-BOOM-POLE MOUNT
Delvcam | LCD MONITOR MONOPOD-BOOM-POLE MOUNT | TT1047 | B&H
$32.95

Datavideo
BH-05 Ball Head Mounting Device, Shoe (Male) to 1/4-20 (Male), for LCD Monitor Mounting on Shoe Equipped Camcorder
Datavideo | BH-05 Ball Head Mounting Device | BH-5 | B&H Photo
$34.00

Andrew Dean September 15th, 2008 01:50 PM

i was leaning towards this, as its pretty heavy duty and can be used on shoe or tripod:

Bogen / Manfrotto | 482LCD Micro Ball Head | 482LCD | B&H Photo

Gints Klimanis September 15th, 2008 05:44 PM

While I appreciate the sturdiness else-where, the 3.8 lbs is balking for use on a shoulder mount and very risk for use on a hot shoe.

Are there any sub-$100 on-camera handle clamps with mounting holes?

GlideCam sells a good handle bracket with four mounting screw holes, but that includes other parts.
Glidecam Low Mode FX
$250
Comment: very sturdy

Delvcam DELVG10801 Handle Bracket for Sony HDV Cameras
Delvcam | DELVG10801 Handle Bracket for Sony HDV | DELV-G1080-1
$80
Comment: Is the fit too specific to Sony Z1/FX1 ?

Ben Ruffell September 15th, 2008 10:26 PM

I am sure that I have seen a mount that screws into the spare pan bar rosetta on a fluid head... but cannot find it now. Any ideas?

Andrew Dean September 16th, 2008 01:34 PM

well, thats disappointing. The smallhd monitor has been delayed (and changed around)

They have 2 or 3 of the 12" design like on their website available if someone wants to order now. They have shifted their efforts to an 8.9" with a "much better screen". I imagine that to mean brighter, buti suppose they could be talking about resolution.

Anyways, until they come out with something tangible and a ship date, this thread should really be titled "1 low cost HD monitor", since the manhattanlcd unit is shipping.

cheers,
-a

Jon Sands September 16th, 2008 01:53 PM

hahaha, did anyone else watch the product video for the smallhd? That has to be the funniest thing I've seen in a while