quick advice needed: battery for Manhattan monitor - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old October 3rd, 2008, 02:37 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Yes, Alex.
Isn't that kinda wiggly? The Manhattanlcd monitor is 2.5lbs, but since it's larger than the previous monitors, there is more torque to counteract. I used a Delvcam shoe-mount device, but even that is kinda wiggly. Recently, I bought a handle bracket with mounting screw holes. That will move the monitor towards the shoulder. However, it's still quite wiggly. While I can buy a mount with a sturdier base, much of the wiggle seems to be at the monitor's single mount point.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 02:52 PM   #17
Trustee

Gints, I also think it's not the best idea to mount the monitor on the same tripod as camera.

When you do so, you won't be able to re-position the monitor without inducing some camera shake.

The way I do it is I just use an off lightstand to host the monitor completely separately from the cam/tripod.

If I'm strapped for space, or otherwise unable to use a separate stand, then I put the monitor on top of cam via the vfgadget adapter.

I still bought that articulated arm though, because I figured it'd be helpful to stabilize the cam when mounted on vehicles (and it is.)
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 03:53 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin View Post
Gints, I also think it's not the best idea to mount the monitor on the same tripod as camera.
I'm looking at using the monitor on a shoulder mount and/or GlideCam. I'm worried about the wiggle of the monitor, and how that would make the rig unwieldly and likely distracting.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 06:06 PM   #19
Trustee

Dont know about Stedicam etc., but shoulder mount will be very tricky.

Monitor is rather large and relatively heavy (especially with the battery mounted on it) at 10.9" screen size. It gives everything extra inertia and weight, which is not necessarily good with handheld/shoulder mount operations.

However, since shoulder-mounted cam's LCD is very close to your eyes, I don't think it's even necessary to have external monitor there. EX1's LCD monitor has fantastic quality and resolution.

When LCD is not so close to your eyes, then of course ManhattanLCD monitor shines and is most useful for both focus and framing.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 06:30 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:

Monitor is rather large and relatively heavy (especially with the battery mounted on it) at 10.9" screen size. It gives everything extra inertia and weight, which is not necessarily good with handheld/shoulder mount operations.

However, since shoulder-mounted cam's LCD is very close to your eyes, I don't think it's even necessary to have external monitor there. EX1's LCD monitor has fantastic quality and resolution.
I'm using the batteries as a counter weight on the backside of the shoulder mount. Perhaps the monitor won't work well in a mobile situation, but right now, the LCD is inadequate for judging focus, even with expanded mode, in my mobile situation. A slightly smaller monitor case with the 10.9" LCD and even slightly less resolution (1280x720 rather than 1366x768) would be that much more reasonable. I'm hoping to use the Sony EX1's LCD for peaking information to assist focus and the HD monitor for actual focus. The viewfinder just doesn't help.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 06:39 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
the LCD is inadequate for judging focus, even with expanded mode, in my mobile situation.
Could you elaborate please?
Old October 3rd, 2008, 08:54 PM   #22
Regular Crew

1- check your battery at full charge with an acurate multimeter.
2- I would not trust a power supply over 12V, as I've read reports of folks frying some boards/screens.
I routinely run mine from a Tekkeon 3450 set at 9.V No problem. I get about 4 hrs like that.
Here's a recent page...
http://www.hv20.com/showpost.php?p=137771&postcount=866

Quote:
I have the Manhattan LCD monitor on order; the manufacturer says it's good for 9-13V; my PAG battery is rated 13.2V - will it be save to power the monitor from it?
M. Paul El-Darwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Could you elaborate please?
I meant to write thatthe on-camera LCD is inadequate for evaluating focus even at a distance of one foot, which is why we are all interested in the Manhattan HD. I hope I didn't cause you to panic.
Old October 4th, 2008, 02:43 AM   #24
Trustee

No panic here, just trying to see why your results differ from my own experience, which has been positive with manual focus using LCD screen of shoulder-mounted EX1.

My video subjects are people, mostly 4 to 7ft away from lens, and I use the range from wide to tele (ECU of mouths/teeth for dentistry industrials) with very good focus just by using cam's LCD + peaking. (No, I don't have a perfect vision, unfortunately :)

Sure it'd be nice to have a bigger monitor, like maybe 5", but I know I would not be able to use 10.9" one in this situation - too much weight/size. I found ManhattanLCD perfect for mounting on a stand, though, in situations when cam is Not handheld (tripod, car mount) and monitor can be properly/safely mounted.

Have you considered magnifying EX1's LCD monitor with a lens?
Old October 4th, 2008, 03:19 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Paul El-Darwish View Post
1- check your battery at full charge with an acurate multimeter.
2- I would not trust a power supply over 12V, as I've read reports of folks frying some boards/screens.
I routinely run mine from a Tekkeon 3450 set at 9.V No problem. I get about 4 hrs like that.
Here's a recent page...
Canon HV20 / HV30 User Forum - View Single Post - DIY Samsung HD Monitor thread
Thanks M. Paul; because I wouldn't trust my 13.2V battery as well, I have already gone with the 3450.

Quote:

I completely agree with Alex; when shooting hand-held (or with my PAG Orbitor shoulder mount), I am not even considering using the 10.9" monitor.

My intended main use is when my camera (possibly with Letus adapter) is on the tripod, as always happens when I shoot classical music performances. I sometimes have an assistant with those gigs, and having the large screen that both of us can use will be great (I hope).

When it proves that it's not stable enough when mounted to the same tripod as the camera+Letus, than a separate stand will resolve the problem.
Old October 4th, 2008, 04:09 AM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
When it proves that it's not stable enough when mounted to the same tripod as the camera+Letus, than a separate stand will resolve the problem.
It will be stable enough mounted on tripod+articulated arm, but you won't be able to turn it around as needed when the camera is rolling, without introducing shake to the tripod and, inevitably, to the camera, while doing so.
Old October 7th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Sure it'd be nice to have a bigger monitor, like maybe 5", but I know I would not be able to use 10.9" one in this situation - too much weight/size. I found ManhattanLCD perfect for mounting on a stand, though, in situations when cam is Not handheld (tripod, car mount) and monitor can be properly/safely mounted.
If you're mounting on a stand, have you considered some of the smaller 720P LCD TVs ? Some of the 15" Samsungs I saw offer both component and HDMI inputs. If you don't need a battery powered monitor and ultra portability, these LCD TVs are a better buy.
Old October 7th, 2008, 12:56 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
It will be stable enough mounted on tripod+articulated arm, but you won't be able to turn it around as needed when the camera is rolling, without introducing shake to the tripod and, inevitably, to the camera, while doing so.
You're right, this thing will shake. I'm gathering the hardware to mount it to the shoulder mount as the camera hot shoe is only a solution for non-mobile work.
Old October 7th, 2008, 01:13 PM   #29
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
have you considered some of the smaller 720P LCD TVs ?
Yes, I used Visio with great success, excellent picture over HDMI. In fact I'm now selling it cheap, will put it on eBay on Wed.

(Can't keep it since EX1 does not have HDMI out. I used my Visio with V1U before I sold that cam and bought EX1.)
Old October 9th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Quote:
Yes, I used Visio with great success, excellent picture over HDMI. In fact I'm now selling it cheap, will put it on eBay on Wed.

(Can't keep it since EX1 does not have HDMI out. I used my Visio with V1U before I sold that cam and bought EX1.)
I'm curious. Why then are you interested in buying one of these HD monitors? For the same money, you can get a 15" solution (Samsung 15") with all input types. Personally, I bought the Manhattan LCD with hopes of using it on a shoulder mount.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software