quick advice needed: battery for Manhattan monitor - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old October 9th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #31
Trustee

Because anything but in-studio applications, anything larger than ManhattanLCD's 10.9" enclosure is just too bulky and heavy to log around, IMHO.

In fact I like using ManhattanLCD even in studio.

Granted, when I can afford a heavy/bulky setup, I use Dell 2405 with Component in. Very easy to focus, gives excellent idea of how the picture will look/feel on larger screens, and color representation is OK too for non-critical viewing. And, you can see it across the small room :)
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 03:09 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin View Post
Because anything but in-studio applications, anything larger than ManhattanLCD's 10.9" enclosure is just too bulky and heavy to log around, IMHO.

In fact I like using ManhattanLCD even in studio.

Granted, when I can afford a heavy/bulky setup, I use Dell 2405 with Component in. Very easy to focus, gives excellent idea of how the picture will look/feel on larger screens, and color representation is OK too for non-critical viewing. And, you can see it across the small room :)
Well, I'm sure it doesn't have it, but I'll ask anyway. Does the ManhattanLCD have underscan? To me, it's a critical feature to have on a production monitor.
Eugene Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Ok, I'll bite (and keep in mind I see myself as reasonable knowledgeable so this is intriguing to me) - I was under the impression that underscan was absolutely necessary on CRT monitors to show us what is happening outside the bezel (represented by action safe markers) and/or viewable scan lines but as long as we had a 1:1 pixel ratio on an LCD (meaning we can see ALL the active pixels on a one to one basis), the monitor was ESSENTIALLY doing the same thing as underscan (without the "wasted" black space around the smaller underscanned image) in that we are able to see all the pixels. Have I just learned something new? Do LCDs still do a crop that I wasn't aware of?

Thanks for asking the question Eugene.
Old October 10th, 2008, 08:18 AM   #34
Trustee

ManhattanLCD does not show the entire image, unfortunately.

I'm not aware if there's a special mode to force it to do so.

I'm referring to 10.9" one - thanks to M. Paul for the correction. I use its Component input.

Last edited by Alex Raskin; October 11th, 2008 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Added clarification on monitor model.
Old October 10th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Which one? The two controllers, MST & Pixelworks are different.
My 7.2" w/pixelworks shows the whole image if set to do so.
I'll run some screen shots later.
GearNinja.com DIY > Manhattan LCD
Quote:
ManhattanLCD does not show the entire image, unfortunately.

I'm not aware if there's a special mode to force it to do so.
Attached Thumbnails
quick advice needed: battery for Manhattan monitor-mlcd7_2.jpg  
M. Paul El-Darwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 07:38 AM   #36
Trustee

10.9" one, which is the only one they supply with enclosure. I use its Component input.
Old October 24th, 2008, 02:35 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Just got the Manhattan HD monitor and must say there is no hue shift towards blue - the picture is great even with the standard settings.

I also bought the Tekkeon 3450 battery - very nice and well done device.

I only have one problem: when I velcroed the battery to the monitor's back, the Component input picture disappeared! I was horrified, cause I thought the monitor just broke down - but removing the battery cured it. Lack of electro-magnetic shielding, or what?

Do you guys have your Manhattan monitors working with a battery attached?

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; October 24th, 2008 at 03:11 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 12:49 AM   #38
Inner Circle

Alex at al,

Do your monitors react in the same way when a battery is attached to them?

I asked John of ManhattanLCD, but he didn't answer directly - saying something about the correct battery voltage and adapter/plug...
Old October 25th, 2008, 06:59 AM   #39
Trustee

Piotr, no - I have the battery velcroed to the back of the monitor, and no issues.

John can be spotty replying to inquiries, yes... but he did provide great service to me when I needed the monitor badly, and he officially did not ship it yet at that time.
Old October 25th, 2008, 08:00 AM   #40
Inner Circle

Thanks Alex - no good news for me :(

BTW, are you using 9V or 12V setting with your Tekkeon battery?
Old October 25th, 2008, 08:13 AM   #41
Trustee

9V, as it apparently does not affect picture but prolongs battery life w this monitor setup by lowering power consumption...
Old October 25th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #42
Inner Circle

Quote:
9V, as it apparently does not affect picture but prolongs battery life w this monitor setup by lowering power consumption...
Mine is also at 9V; I tried 12V but no difference - still switches the display off... Interestingly, it doesn't happen when I put the battery close to the monitor edge, rather than centrally (in the vertical position). When the display vanishes, there is the 480p green indicator in the top right corner of a couple of seconds; then everything goes black. After removing the battery, the same indicator reads (properly) 1080i.

The nice people at ManhattanLCD must have forgotten to put some shielding inside; I don't even want to think about the hassle of sending it back...The obvious solution would be to fix the battery to the tripod somewhere (instead of the monitor back), but with such configuration the cable (quite short) gets twisted around the whole thing when I pan with the camera.

Arghhh!!!
Old October 25th, 2008, 09:07 AM   #43
Trustee

my battery is positioned horizontally along the monitor's long side, smack in the middle of the rear panel.
Old October 25th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #44
Inner Circle

Quote:
my battery is positioned horizontally along the monitor's long side, smack in the middle of the rear panel.
I tried this position, and it works - but only with the battery cable output near the monitor edge; when I twist it 180 deg (i.e. the battery cable socket near the monitor vertical axis), the picture is gone again.

So it looks like the only position where it works is with the battery I/O panel as far away from the monitor center as possible; not the most convenient placing. But it would confirm that the monitor (or at least my unit) lacks some sort of electromagnetic shielding.

Alex, could you try and place the battery vertically, with the cable downward, to check it for me whether it's just my unit?
Old October 25th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #45
Trustee

Piotr, seems like your monitor has a problem.

I just re-checked on your request, and mine does not exhibit any issues like you described, no matter where do I put the battery.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software