quick advice needed: battery for Manhattan monitor - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old October 26th, 2008, 01:44 AM   #46
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Only have one problem: when I velcroed the battery to the monitor's back, the Component input picture disappeared! I was horrified, cause I thought the monitor just broke down - but removing the battery cured it. Lack of electro-magnetic shielding, or what?

Do you guys have your Manhattan monitors working with a battery attached?
Yes, I have the Tekkeon 3450 and the 3450-10 "myPower ALL Plus" power extender working together with Manhattan LCD. I'll try placing the battery closer the next time I use it.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #47
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
Yes, I have the Tekkeon 3450 and the 3450-10 "myPower ALL Plus" power extender working together with Manhattan LCD. I'll try placing the battery closer the next time I use it.
Please do, Gints - and let me know. TIA.

Also, many thanks to Alex.
Old October 26th, 2008, 03:38 PM   #48
Inner Circle

Quote:
Please do, Gints - and let me know. TIA.

Also, many thanks to Alex.
Hi Piotr,

I tried my Tekkeon pack with the Manhattan HD monitor. I held the battery pack to the back of the monitor in vertical and horizontal orientations and even flipped the battery to match the opposite surface. No troubles here.

Sorry I didn't get back to you about using the Manhattan LCD outside in bright sunlight. I just never had an opportunity to do it until this morning. Like you've reported, it's difficult to see anything in bright light. I'll try a monitor hood, but I have my doubts if anything but a full monitor enclosure will help.
Old October 26th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #49
Regular Crew

Full hood enclosures benefit all external monitors outdoors. I make DIY hoods that rock...
Canon HV20 / HV30 User Forum - View Single Post - DIY Samsung HD Monitor thread
Quote:
Hi Piotr,

I tried my Tekkeon pack with the Manhattan HD monitor. I held the battery pack to the back of the monitor in vertical and horizontal orientations and even flipped the battery to match the opposite surface. No troubles here.

Sorry I didn't get back to you about using the Manhattan LCD outside in bright sunlight. I just never had an opportunity to do it until this morning. Like you've reported, it's difficult to see anything in bright light. I'll try a monitor hood, but I have my doubts if anything but a full monitor enclosure will help.
M. Paul El-Darwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 05:39 PM   #50
Trustee

That page doesn't say much about the hood - how should it be made/attached to monitor?
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 12:29 AM   #51
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Paul El-Darwish View Post
Full hood enclosures benefit all external monitors outdoors. I make DIY hoods that rock...
No doubt, you are creative with the accessories. What material do you use for the hood? I'm thinking of cutting up a larger hood that I used to use for a CRT.
Old October 29th, 2008, 07:37 AM   #52
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsolt Gordos View Post
Piotr,

you always find cool gadgets :) I better watch your moves.

Could you please post a photo of this Manhattan LCD once arrives, mounted with your rig - so i can assess how big it is? I might consider buying one if not too large - its price is definitely tempting. Please post your experience with its picture quality, too.

Thanks a bunch in advance,

Zsolt
Here you go, Zsolt :)

As to my opinion on the depicted rig, I'd say that the Redrock Micro stuff is indeed of an exceptional quality, with equally great support from Brian Valente (and others on the RR forum). The Manhattan monitor is also very, very good (as is the Tekkeon battery powering it), and the support from ManhattanLCD's John Reed outstanding.

Unfortunately, I cannot say I'm equally satisfied with the Letus Extreme performance or build quality -a real bummer! Aaron, if you read this, please do something to improve the level of Extreme users satisfaction, instead of just charging more for the Ultimate version (which merely offers improvements the Extreme should have as a standard, in the first place)...

So now the only missing thing I'm still waiting for is the NanoFlash - Mike, I'm counting on you!
Attached Thumbnails
quick advice needed: battery for Manhattan monitor-dsc00532.jpg   quick advice needed: battery for Manhattan monitor-dsc00541.jpg  

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; October 30th, 2008 at 04:31 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 12:39 PM   #53
Inner Circle

I had major issues with edge softness with the RedRock M2 on a Sony EX1 and either the Nikon 85mm f/1.4 or 50mm f/1.4 set to f/2 .
Old October 29th, 2008, 11:13 PM   #54
Trustee

Quote:
Aaron, if you read this, please do something to improve the level of ( Letus )Extreme users satisfaction, instead of just charging more for the Ultimate version (which merely offers improvements the Extreme should have as a standard, in the first place)...
Piotr, I assume you are referring to the backfocus adjustments, which are badly engineered on LEX - in which case I agree with you!
Old October 30th, 2008, 02:05 AM   #55
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin View Post
Piotr, I assume you are referring to the backfocus adjustments, which are badly engineered on LEX - in which case I agree with you!
Alex,

As I wrote several times already in other threads, the image quality I'm getting with the improved Letus achromat for EX1, and my Canon lenses, is marvellous. If I'm not totally satisfied is that a precise opto-mechanical device like this, sitting between your high-quality lens and an even higher-quality camera, should absolutely be built better than the Extreme version is.

The back focus adjustment is a real pain; even if you succeed in getting it to focus at infinity, the GG can change the amplitude and frequency of vibration, making such noise that shooting with an onboard mic is simply impossible. Also, the way adjustment is done will never ensure that you will leave the GG planar with the camera imagers (i.e. normal to the lens axis). This causes picture softness in one corner or even the whole (left or right, upper or lower) extremity of the frame. But above all, the adjustment won't keep - the three GG stands will sooner rather than later change their position in the rubber bushes, and you will lose back focus again, or the noise will increase, or the critical focus will not cover the whole frame - or all of the above... This happens to me constantly; heck - this thing should have a precise, repeatable and permanent adjustment!

Finally, the way Letus Extreme is attached to the thread ring on the camera lens is just pathetic - unstable, flimsy, and above all, unrepeatable. The only contact is the shallow flange, and those pathetic three little screws to keep the 2 heavy and expensive pieces together (camera + adapter) - even on rails, this simply cannot be stiff and precise enough a connection! What I'd expect here is a much longer (or should I say, deeper) contact, and a connection secured by a solid, threaded muff.

Most of the above have been fixed with the Ultimate version, for more than twice the price...

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; October 30th, 2008 at 04:13 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 04:04 AM   #56
Trustee

To my knowledge, LEX is $1.1K and Ultimate is $4.5K, so there's over 4x price difference actually?
Old October 30th, 2008, 04:10 AM   #57
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin View Post
To my knowledge, LEX is $1.1K and Ultimate is $4.5K, so there's over 4x price difference actually?
Yep. My mistake originated from the fact, that - without a second thought - I compared what I actually paid for importing LEX (+ FedEX shipment + duty + VAT), with the net list price of the Ultimate.

So it's even worse, actually.
Old November 1st, 2008, 10:28 AM   #58
Regular Crew

I'll talk to MLCD about the lack of shielding. Is should be easy to add with a perforated shield plate inside the backside. I don't mount my 3450 that way anyway ( too much stress on the monitor to support connection)
Quote:
Just got the Manhattan HD monitor and must say there is no hue shift towards blue - the picture is great even with the standard settings.

I also bought the Tekkeon 3450 battery - very nice and well done device.

I only have one problem: when I velcroed the battery to the monitor's back, the Component input picture disappeared! I was horrified, cause I thought the monitor just broke down - but removing the battery cured it. Lack of electro-magnetic shielding, or what?

Do you guys have your Manhattan monitors working with a battery attached?
Old November 1st, 2008, 10:36 AM   #59
Regular Crew

Uh Oh! Looks like a DIY monitor hood tutorial is being requested. As if I have time. I do owe this forum, where I'm a newbie , at least one freebie before the year is over so look for a tutorial here in about 3 weeks.
Imago Metrics:Toshiba 10.9" DIY Enclosure
Basically
Materials:
------------
90% opaque thin stretchy black fabric
Corrugated PLASTIC board- any color (this is the structure)
3M Super 77 (General adhesion and Velcro hook to monitor)
2" wide non-self adhesive Velcro
4 minute epoxy (Velcro loop to the inside backs of the hood)
Scissors
------------
The handy amongst you will know what to do from that, all else will get theirs when I get some bandwidth!

Quote:
No doubt, you are creative with the accessories. What material do you use for the hood? I'm thinking of cutting up a larger hood that I used to use for a CRT.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 04:47 PM   #60
Inner Circle

Yes, this is definitely necessary outside. My Sony EX1 LCD does a better job in early morning light while the Manhattan LCD is rendered useless by glare. I'll look into getting a hood for the Manhattan and that Hood sock for the LCD. The EX1 viewfinder is now too fuzzy compared to the other LCDs around it.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software