quick advice needed: battery for Manhattan monitor - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old November 3rd, 2008, 05:18 AM   #61
Trustee

M. Paul, do you have a photo of the assembled monitor hood?

Can it be folded flat for transportation, to protect monitor's glass and take little space in transit?

Thanks
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 09:31 PM   #62
Regular Crew

Holly cow! I'm so late replying to this. How the heck to I set an alarm to notify me of threads I need to respond to?
I have a photo....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...d/DSCN1609.jpg
Looks way better in real life and do mind my Gaffer's tape trim ok ?;)
Also note my mistake- different angle cuts on the leading corners. I make this one in 20 minutes flat and just failed to match the two sides ( how unprofessional) I'll redo it right for my DIY Tutorial in December.
Yes it folds flat and the way I finish the hood, the back side that goes up against the front of the monitor has concealed indents in it to accomodate the pushbutton array.
I promised to shoot a DIY tutorial but will not be able to deliver on that promise till Mid December at the soonest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin View Post
M. Paul, do you have a photo of the assembled monitor hood?

Can it be folded flat for transportation, to protect monitor's glass and take little space in transit?

Thanks
M. Paul El-Darwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 07:03 AM   #63
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Just got the Manhattan HD monitor and must say there is no hue shift towards blue - the picture is great even with the standard settings.

I also bought the Tekkeon 3450 battery - very nice and well done device.

I only have one problem: when I velcroed the battery to the monitor's back, the Component input picture disappeared! I was horrified, cause I thought the monitor just broke down - but removing the battery cured it. Lack of electro-magnetic shielding, or what?

Do you guys have your Manhattan monitors working with a battery attached?
As you may remember, Velcro-ing the Tekkeon battery at the back of the monitor doesn't work for me, as - for some reason - the battery interferes with the Component input signal, and the picture is gone. Therefore, I need to place the battery away from the monitor; I have plenty of roo on my tripod setup with rails to mount the battery there. However, the original Tekkeon DC power cable between the battery and the monitor is too short sometimes, so I'd like to make my own lead - what is the type of the plug at battery end of it? Is it proprietary, or can I buy it somewhere (preferrably in EU)?

Another question: sometimes, when I'm using a light, I need to mount another big battery on my tripod rig anyway (I'm using PAG bricks); they have two power outs and it'd be ideal if I could use one of them to power up my HD monitor, rather than be tied to the Tekkeon battery... Unfortunately, my PAG's output is 14.8V - too high for the Manhattan HD monitor to feed it directly. Now, I'm completely lame as far as electricity goes; can you tell me how to decrease the voltage to some 10-12V by preparing a special cable for this purpose (using some resistor or alike...)

Thanks for your help!
Old April 13th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #64
Major Player

Piotr, I just got the Manhattan HD089 display to use with my EX1 (component out) and and so far I'm having a hard time getting it even close to being as good as the built-in EX1 LCD.

Besides not being all that sharp (like maybe I can focus slightly better than on the built-in LCD), even with the sharpness turned all the way up, the dynamic range of the monitor seems about 1/2 of the EX1 LCD. I can't get a decently bright image and not have things that are showing up find on the EX1 LCD completely blown out on the Manhattan or in order to see these objects I have to turn the brightness down to nothing.

Do you have some of the settings to share with me on this monitor to get it to give me a good image?

Thanks.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #65
Inner Circle

Keith,

Sorry for late answer. As to the dynamic range, it happens that I can see sky partially blown out on my 10.9" Manhattan, while on the camera's LCD it's not yet visible. When I ingest such footage into my NLE, it turns out the Manhattan was telling me the truth.

For instance, situations like those discussed in this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...-clipping.html

- can be prevented using the Manhattan, but may not be noticed without it.
Old April 19th, 2009, 02:32 PM   #66
Major Player

Hi Piotr

Thanks for the reply. I worked a little with the Manhattan LCD folks, who are very attentive to tech support questions and have provided me with excellent customer service. One hint they gave me to get better dynamic range out of the monitor and match it up with what the EX1 is sending out is as follows:
  • On the EX1, output color bars
  • On the Manhattan IR Remote:
  • hit source
  • on the remotes numeric keypad type "911"
  • This brings up a service menu
  • Scroll to the page of the menu that lists ADC reset and ADC auto Cal
  • on service menu choose to reset ADC
  • on the service menu ADC auto cal
The monitor will go through some obvious cycling. It seemed the picture was a bit better after doing this procedure.

There are also a number of other options in the service menu. One was to brighten the black level, which produced less crushed blacks and one that helped a bit with better gamma curve on the monitor.

I'm still evaluating the Manhattan monitor for sharpness and other factors. What model do you have and do you have further opinions on it?

Another question Piotr, are you saying that the EX1 LCD is not displaying clipped luma info, that somehow it's somehow displaying more dynamic range than is being recorded? Or is it that your NLE or other monitor isn't displaying a full dynamic range? For example if you do some color correction is there detail left if you bring down the whites or is it severely clipped on the whites?

Thanks again.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 03:26 PM   #67
Inner Circle

<deleted redundant question after posting>
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software