DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Need Advice: another screen for preview? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/135134-need-advice-another-screen-preview.html)

Nick Stone October 2nd, 2008 10:20 PM

Need Advice: another screen for preview?

I'm looking at getting another screen to output my time line to. I'm using our main tv for this at the moment, my wife wants her TV back.
What are people using or thinking of getting. It's been a while since I bought anything.
I'm outputting from either Vegas or PPCS3.
Time line is HDV from a Z1.

Nick

Chris Soucy October 2nd, 2008 11:12 PM

Hi Nick.................

Er, why not another TV?

CS

Nick Stone October 3rd, 2008 12:48 AM

Cost. Another computer screen would be cheaper to watch my time line on.

Chris Soucy October 3rd, 2008 12:54 AM

Er..............

So, what is it you actually want?

Name the size, screen res and budget and we'll go for it.

Can't do much without.

CS

Nick Stone October 3rd, 2008 01:38 AM

Yes sorry,
I posted that without much thought.

22" - 30"
fastest time in ms sec's
High contrast ratio.

This would be a straight out monitor just to look at my time line playback through HDMI out of computer, PC.
I currently use a Samsung 22" 226BW, 3000:1 @ 2ms.
I find the image from this monitor looks very soft and the color space is not reliable to CC on.

I have started to do some research and thought someone here might have bought a monitor for the same application as myself.

Nick

Chris Soucy October 3rd, 2008 01:50 AM

Well.....................

Depending on budget, you might want to look at the Dell 24" monitor, tho' there are a couple of proviso's:

Not all DVI capable monitors will work with HDMI O/P computers ( yeah, bummer, heh!), the other way ditto.

Again, depending on budget, most computer monitors don't need or offer a huge colour gamut, so are pretty lousy at the CC thing.

Funnily enough, you're bettter off with a bog standard HD telly than an HD (PC) monitor from that respect.

Not knowing your budget I can't really recomend anything, tho' you will definately find more takers if you post this over in the "Video Screen" section of DVifo (well, I should know what it's called, just having a senior moment, OK?).

CS

Nick Stone October 3rd, 2008 01:58 AM

Thanks Chris,

I have been looking at the 24" Dell but contrast ratios are very low, 1000:1 up to 3000:1 and response time are 5 ms (typical)
You know what I'll price and research a HDTV.

Nick

Gints Klimanis October 7th, 2008 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Stone (Post 946293)
Yes sorry,
I posted that without much thought.

22" - 30"
fastest time in ms sec's
High contrast ratio.

This would be a straight out monitor just to look at my time line playback through HDMI out of computer, PC.
I currently use a Samsung 22" 226BW, 3000:1 @ 2ms.
I find the image from this monitor looks very soft and the color space is not reliable to CC on.

Unless something has changed recently, S-IPS panels offered the best color accuracy but average response times. The LCDs with a fast response time have more of a color shift from different viewing angles (I notice a red shift on my cheaper LCD monitors) and fail to calibrate well. The 2 mSec response time is a near lie. Lack of sharpness may be due to the scaling (resizing) of the video signal to the Samsung's 1680x1050. If you're using it for 720P monitoring, does the monitor have a mode that doesn't resize the signal ?