DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Advice needed: Closing the gap between monitor and tv? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/135424-advice-needed-closing-gap-between-monitor-tv.html)

Claudia Eklof October 7th, 2008 11:40 PM

Advice needed: Closing the gap between monitor and tv?

I've been reading the posts speaking to the issue of how best to judge color as one edits video, hoping to get a handle on what combination of screening equipment I'll need for post production editing.

So far I've gleened that (a) computer (monitor) displays are darker than TV, and (b) therefore, a calibrated studio monitor can be used to adjust brightness and color.

But, wait. Now I'm seeing adds for an "HDTV monitor w/ built-in digital TV tuner" (for example, Newegg.com - SAMSUNG ToC T240HD Rose-Black 24" 5ms HDMI Widescreen HDTV Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 10000:1 Built in DTV Tuner & Dolby Digital Surround Speakers - LCD Monitors).

Apparently, it's a monitor...AND a TV—can apparently switch aspects from 16:9 to 16:10; has both a built-in TV-tuner and DVI input.

So I'm wondering...Does this product resolve any of the challenges that have required editors to have a separate TV (or studio monitor) to give a true representation of color and brightness while editing?

I'd appreciate feedback, opinions and detailed analysis.

Thank you in advance.

M. Paul El-Darwish October 8th, 2008 07:38 PM

Actually, unless I have my facts wrong, you can color grade on a Computer display.
Matrox's MX02 allows for color calibration of a Apple Cinema Display, for example.
In addition, I've been building HD monitors from kits that are fully calibrate-able and indeed, a couple have TV tuners built into them. No big trick there.
Here's one project, note the TV input (it will also pull a signal from several other types of connectors, including HDMI.
Imago Metrics:Toshiba 10.9" DIY Enclosure
There's also a 15.4 that would make a NICE broadcast monitor for editing & color grading.
Manhattan LCD

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claudia Eklof (Post 948182)
I've been reading the posts speaking to the issue of how best to judge color as one edits video, hoping to get a handle on what combination of screening equipment I'll need for post production editing.

So far I've gleened that (a) computer (monitor) displays are darker than TV, and (b) therefore, a calibrated studio monitor can be used to adjust brightness and color.

But, wait. Now I'm seeing adds for an "HDTV monitor w/ built-in digital TV tuner" (for example, Newegg.com - SAMSUNG ToC T240HD Rose-Black 24" 5ms HDMI Widescreen HDTV Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 10000:1 Built in DTV Tuner & Dolby Digital Surround Speakers - LCD Monitors).

Apparently, it's a monitor...AND a TV—can apparently switch aspects from 16:9 to 16:10; has both a built-in TV-tuner and DVI input.

So I'm wondering...Does this product resolve any of the challenges that have required editors to have a separate TV (or studio monitor) to give a true representation of color and brightness while editing?

I'd appreciate feedback, opinions and detailed analysis.

Thank you in advance.

Claudia Eklof October 9th, 2008 06:43 PM

Does this product resolve any of the challenges ...?

Hi M. Paul,
I'll admit that I was hoping for a direct answer to the question, "Does this product resolve any of the challenges that have required editors to have a separate TV (or studio monitor) to give a true representation of color and brightness while editing?" The product being the (non-DIY) line of LCD screens that are TV and PC monitor in one.

Nevertheless, I looked into the links you kindly provided and learned a few things.
I see that the kits facilitate calibration of the LCD screens, while I doubt that the retail TV/PC monitor combo allows for calibration at all.

I was hoping for a discussion of what these new combiniation screens DO bring to the table (and what they don't). For instance, these monitors are widescreen and in my home office application it would be a plus if one component could do double-duty. I could do without the cost and space usage of, say, a dual (PC) monitor plus studio-monitor set-up.

But to clarify: I'm invested (and this is something I didn't think to include in my original post) in the PC platform and the Thompson/GrassValley Edius NX editing system in particular. I have yet to purchase any screens. Although I've researched and am putting together my NLE editing machine component by component, I feel that I've used up all the time I have away from my actual business, which is editing. So, DIY kits for LCD screens is pushing it for me. :-)

Is my reasoning is sound when I assert the following?:
a) In as much as cameramen in the field are utilizing portable DVD players to preview their work (and presumably check that the colors/brightness being recorded are reasonable),

b) and the client will be using a television (presumably with factory settings unaltered) to view the home movies that I've edited,

c) and that I would wish to avoid color correction on a typical LCD computer monitor because it would show darker than the typical client's television

that it would better if my primary screen were a LCD TV/computer monitor combination.

Thanks for listening.