B&W vs. Color Monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old August 21st, 2003, 01:41 PM   #1
Major Player

B&W vs. Color Monitor

I am planning on buying a battery powered 5" TV with AV-in to use as a portable monitor when shooting with my XL1. I have an option for color or black and white....

Questions:

1. Should I go B&W or color? I feel the conventional wisdom is for B&W, but I don't know exactly why. (the price differential is $30 vs. $150, not a big issue for me)

2. Will a 5" monitor help me enough to make it worth it's while? I am mostly interested in focus, framing, and being able to mark it with 16x9 bars.

3. I have kinda ruled out the little 7" LCD monitors because I don't think they have the resolution to really help me on focus... am I wrong?

Thanks in advance....
Barry Gribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2003, 06:20 PM   #2
Wrangler

The 5" monitor will help in focus operations only if it is B&W. The resolution of a 5" color monitor is not good.

I think 5" color is too small for most operations (I have one).

My 8" hi-res Sony portable is much better. I can focus, check color and frame with ease. It also has underscan and blue-gun only which helps a lot. It cost about $350 used. It is also much larger and heavier.

You are right about the LCD. Few LCD's have more than about 240 pixels vertical resolution. Not enough for focus. OK for framing. NOT good enough for color checks.

If you get something in the 8-9" range, it can also be used as your NTSC monitor for your editing setup.
Old August 23rd, 2003, 09:07 AM   #3
Major Player

Mike,

Thanks for the info.... the only thing about the 5" that I liked is that it is battery powered, so I can take it anywhere with the camera....

Are there 8" battery operated monitors out there?
Barry Gribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2003, 09:34 AM   #4
Wrangler

Yes, that is what mine is. It takes external 12VDC and will work for 3 hours from an NRG battery belt, takes and charges NP1B batteries in internal slots or will work from 120 VAC.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software