S-video to TV problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old October 16th, 2008, 10:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

S-video to TV problem

Hey everyone,

I just bought a new PCI graphic card with dual monitor VGA outputs, I can now use two monitors and I love it. I also have an S-Video ouput on the card wich I would like to plug my big TV screen on, so I bought an S-video to RCA adapter at my local electronic store and pluged everything in... but it dosent seem to work.

Do I have to configure my pc for that option?
Donald Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 01:42 AM   #2
Major Player

there isnt a composite signal per se within svideo. svideo only uses 4 pins. Many laptops and graphics cards use an additional 1 or 2 pins to also feed a composite signal through the same port. The "adapters" just isolate those pins out to a dedicated rca cable.

Unfortunately, not all svideo connectors have the composite signal embedded. If its not there, it takes more than a cable to "convert" from svideo to composite. Much like converting component or vga to composite.

That said, its entirely possible your card has composite in the svideo plug and you have the correct adapter, but your drivers arent set up to send a signal out of that port.

Probably wasnt very helpful, but maybe it'll help you stumble onto the solution.

cheers
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Well I finally got it working,

At first I tought the S-video plug was just a physical/hardware output that would show anything happening on the PC monitor, but you really have to configure it as a second monitor, actually plug everything in and reboot then configure it.

So what I wanna know now is : can i have two pc monitors and add the TV as a third monitor? in other words have them all working at the same time.
Donald Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 03:52 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Donald it really depends on your graphics card.

If you take out one of the monitors and then run 1monitor and 1TV
im sure it'll work.

give that a try and let me know what happened.
Samuel Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 11:06 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Samuel, I plugged the two monitors and the TV in my graphic card, and I configured them all, When I choose the option "two monitors" it works great, mostly for video editing. When I choose 1 monitor & 1 TV I can watch a movie while I'm working on the PC. So everything's working great.

One thing I noticed tho, I used to have an onboard 128mb graphic card, now I have a PCI 256mb dual VGA graphic card, I'm not a gamer at all, I only work on my PC, the performance when I'm video editing seems equal to before the change, but the performance in AutoCAD (house plans) is not very good, my cursor is very "Jerky" not fluid at all like before. That's really too bad because I don't want to change anymore, once you've tried dual monitors... you don't go back.
Donald Blake is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software