Transflective screens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old February 9th, 2009, 07:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Transflective screens

Hi,

I'm searching for a field monitor for my 35mm adapter pack. I had one I just sold to a friend because it was impossible to read at sunlight, even with a sunshade on.

I've been surfing around and saw the sub200$ monitor thread but no one did mention how it works at sunlight (or I just missed that part), but digging a bit I came across with a new monitor technology: Transflective screens!

Did anyone already worked with one of these?

I'm wondering if it really works or if it's just a way to spend more money unwisely!

Thanks
Nelson Alexandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 04:09 AM   #2
Regular Crew

No one? :(
Old February 11th, 2009, 05:08 AM   #3
Major Player

Well. Transflective screens are not "new" technology, but because they are a compromise between reflective (outdoor ONLY) and transmissive (regular lcd) then developers seem to avoid them.

The cheapest transflective monitor is probably the modified lilliput from mp3car.com. For $100 less you can buy the xenarc 702 which is 1000 nits, and probably brighter in ambient but not direct sun.

These monitors, while the same rez as high end screens, have pretty mediocre scalers built in and only composite source. So, honestly, just like the 800x480 dvd players, they just aren't useful for focus. You need to move up to a higher rez monitor and/or one with a much nicer scaler to use the pixels for focusing.

I was excited that the nebtek monitor is "daylight coated", which might be transflective, or it might be just a glare coating, but of course its 5-10x the cost of a lilliput. Its also 800x480 but lots of reports are that its scaler is so awesome that hd focus is achievable with it.

According to the manhattanlcd guy, his monitors have the aftermarket 3m transflective inserts, but from the people that own them, it sounds like they are still really weak in sunlight.

I'm with you. I really wish smallhd or manhattanlcd would make sunlight viewing a priority, but for now, there just doesn't seem to be a great option.

Not what you wanted to hear, i'm sure... sorry.
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 03:59 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Regarding focus, many mates seem to be quite happy with the 800x480 resolution from the little Sony DVD player! But I understand when you mention Nebtek.

Unfortunately, you are raising the bar too high for my budget right now. Besides the monitor I have to save some money to buy a mattebox and I'm in the need of an Anton Bauer battery, so I have a 400 bucks max to invest on a monitor.

I will go to take a look on the Xenarc you'd mentioned though. If it's transflective and it is 100 buck cheaper than Liliput it cam be a good solution. Who knows...

It's a matter of choice. For now I think that definition and sunlight workable go on par. A great hd monitor that can't be used in direct sunlight is unusable for me, and since I don't have the money to spend on a Marshal or on a Steadicam monitor, it has to be one of those you've mentioned.
Old February 11th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #5
Major Player

I am extremely happy with my nebtek..... well worth dumping something you don't really need to have a "proper" field monitor that can be calibrated and viewable in daylight.
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 07:47 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Christopher,

Are you saying that your Nebtek is a transflective one? Can you share your monitor's ref and how much did it cost?

Thanks
Old February 21st, 2009, 08:45 PM   #7
Major Player

Algumas pessoas gostam o pequinoHD monitors. Mas são não transflective.

estão aqui: SmallHD.com - Showcase
Terry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 09:09 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Lee View Post
Algumas pessoas gostam o pequinoHD monitors. Mas são não transflective.

estão aqui: SmallHD.com - Showcase
Hi Terry,

Talking Portuguese?! Not common :) Parents across the Atlantic?

Yes, I've seen those... But I really need a sunlight readable screen I'm afraid.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 09:59 PM   #9
Major Player

Daylight monitors are out there. But they aren't cheap.

The only other thing to check out is the cowan a3. Some people have reported that it is daylight viewable. (what that means varies person to person though). Its actually a little pmp, but with a 800x480 screen about the size of a business card. It has a composite input (through a miniplug) that allows you to input and even record SD video.

I toyed with one and the screen was amazing for the size and price, and it did seem brighter than a dvd player, but until i see one in sunlight (with a sunshade, because reflections are a real issue outside too) then i couldn't say for sure.

I'd tell ya to keep looking, but frankly, i've been digging for a year now and my conclusion has been that i either need to drop huge dollars, settle for a big sun cone over the monitor, or give up until something else comes along.

Although, the a3 would be sexy to have while not shooting. Sucks all the new cowan pmps ditched the video input. oh well.
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #10
Wrangler

I agree that it's a disappointment there aren't transreflective solutions out there. The Sony Z1 and FX1 have flip-open transreflective screens which are really quite good - a fact that many people are unaware of. A few years ago when we were doing the DVinfo "Texas Shootout" I showed this to some of the other participants (all of whom had considerable experience with different cameras) and they were quite surprised at how good the little Z1 screen looked in full sunlight with no backlight.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 04:21 AM   #11
Major Player

Why don't you just a sunshade and be done with this problem? Eliminate reflections too. I have a Petrol bag that I use to carry my Panasonic LH80W field monitor - and it comes with hood that is effective in bright sunlight.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 08:07 AM   #12
Major Player

I concur regarding using a hood.... I use one with my nebtek and it works great in daylight, although the fact the the nebtek is 600nits really helps as well.
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #13
Major Player

[QUOTE=Nelson Alexandre;1017305]
Talking Portuguese?! Not common :) Parents across the Atlantic?
QUOTE]

Nope lol. I just took Portuguese in College :)
Terry Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 08:53 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Wow Terry! I've thought that no one really cared about our language anymore :) Good to know that.

About monitors. I've decided to buy the LinITX 7" Transflective. After some issues about it (which I'll explain at the right moment), I'm really happy with it and I'm preparing a full review to post some day soon.
Old June 10th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Alexandre View Post

Yes, I've seen those... But I really need a sunlight readable screen I'm afraid.
Dude, smallHD is more than fine in sunlight, and their sun hood works great, attaches easily and is super-portable.

Really, a good monitor like the DP1 is well worth it. I would never encourage anyone to purchase a cheap or less-than-HD display.
Trevor Meeks is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software