7" lcd tv at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old February 17th, 2009, 11:12 AM   #1
Major Player

7" lcd tv

I'm currently working for someone who uses portable b/w crt televisions strapped onto the top of camcorders with a bungee cord and homemade platform for following horses while panning and zooming.

Then I was reading the links here about portable monitors. His low tech solution works, so I was considering this

Amazon.com: Haier HLT71 7-Inch Portable LCD TV: Electronics for an improved low tech solution to use with my XH-A1.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Larry Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 11:18 AM   #2
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Vaughn View Post
I'm currently working for someone who uses portable b/w crt televisions strapped onto the top of camcorders with a bungee cord and homemade platform
That setup begs for pictures.

I just bought an Ikan 8-inch monitor, but others in hear also talk about Marshall. These are more pricey than the one you highlight, mine ran aounrd $750. Without knowing your video signal input, I would be hard pressed to recommend anything specific. There are a number of good threads in this forum that have more info on the different brands and price points.
Kip McDowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #3
Major Player

photos

I'll get some photos. He's been doing this for 20+ years, so something must be working.

In this situation, it's prefocus on manual before shooting, so I don't need to top quality monitor.

The prices for the various small lcd monitors seem way out of proportion to what I think they should cost.
Old February 17th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #4
Major Player

dvd player

I bought a Sony 8" dvd player from Sears, which price matched one available at Sams.

About 800 x 480 dots, which they claim is high res.
Old February 17th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Larry,

I'm in the market for a 7 or 8" monitor as well but apart resolution (which I think 800x460 is fine), I REALLY need a direct sunlight viewable monitor.

Please share your thoughts about the Sony DVD player about this issue because I really didn't saw anybody reviewing it seriously on that matter.

Cheers
Nelson Alexandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #6
Major Player

dvd player lcd monitor

I used the dvd player for a monitor today, for about 6 hours straight. It is not as bright as the crt, and I used it in a small "hut" with a roof and no light coming from the back onto the monitor. I turned the brightness up all the way.

It's acceptable to me, considering the price (about $175.00), that fact that it is a dvd player, and much higher resolution than the standard XH-A1 fold out screen.

I went to Circuit City and found a Case Logic case for it at $10.00.

No way I would call it bright however and bright sunlight wouldn't be nice to the viewable image. In the movie biz I always see some type of hood around monitors, so with that I can be usable.

The dvd player feature works fine, I watched 3 last night.

If I didn't need $1000 I might buy something better.
Old March 15th, 2009, 11:58 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Vaughn View Post
I'm currently working for someone who uses portable b/w crt televisions strapped onto the top of camcorders with a bungee cord and homemade platform for following horses while panning and zooming.

Then I was reading the links here about portable monitors. His low tech solution works, so I was considering this

Amazon.com: Haier HLT71 7-Inch Portable LCD TV: Electronics for an improved low tech solution to use with my XH-A1.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I got the Haier HLT71 based on some discussions on dvinfo and elsewhere. It was pretty inexpensive on Amazon, around $100 or so. It's a very neat package with rechargable battery. The first unit I got was defective, it just lit up solid. The 2nd unit worked ok. With the composite in, the picture is well... just ok. The ATSC tuner brings in better pictures than is achievable with the composite in, but still the LCD resolution isn't very good. I wouldn't be able to use it for focusing. I don't think the resolution is even full SD.

The only reason I would keep it is that it is fairly compact, has a built-in rechargeable battery, and looks ok. It even has a threaded screw mount, but unfortunately it's a metric size #6, not the standard 1/4"-20 thread that we all have. I spent a little time making an adapter from 1/4" to #6 so I could mount it with some standard accessories.

However, I'm thinking I may return it as it's just not a very clear picture with the line in. I'm ordering a Sony 820 portable DVD player which I've heard has a great SD picture, perhaps good enough to focus with, but much bulkier.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 08:17 AM   #8
Major Player

Hi Larry,

I've been doing Horse Show Vids for many years too. You, and the fellow you work for, have been dong things the HARD way for far too long.

I've used a 13" CRT, 15" LCD unit - and now the Sony DVD Player mentioned here. Depends on the venue as to which unit I use. For all of them I made, and use, Hoods.

I've modified the Tri-Pod so I have extendable control handles (2' to 4') and a Cam to Head mount that can move (the Cam can tilt forward and backward independent of the Tri-Pod's mount) so the Cam and Handles can be adjusted in relation to each other. I also made, and use, the IR Remote by fiberoptic Cable to Cam mod. Add big batteries and/or my Honda 2000 Gen, and I can be in the field for 12hrs +, running one or two Cams, Monitors and up to 4 recorders. With the Gen Unit I can run as much equipment as I want.

Once the system is set up and the Cam adjusted, I set back and watch the Monitor, guide the Cam with the extended control handle, and do the zooming with the IR Remote in either hand. With the hoods, it's easy to see the monitors, so minimum stress and strain, easy for hours on end.

You kids been doing it the hard way.

This site doesn't allow for multi-posting the same Pics, so check my posts for pics and explanations - or I can send you pics if you want.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #9
Major Player

OK, I just got the Sony FX820 portable DVD player, plugged in my Sony EX1 and it's actually not bad. Not HD for sure but the image is a lot better than the Haier, I can actually focus with it. I'm going to do more tests on it today, take it in the field, and see how it holds up, I'll report back.
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:26 PM   #10
Major Player

sony dvd player

Do you have any problem with a headphone jack connection? I have some Sennheiser 280's and the plug has to be positioned just right to work with the player.
Old March 18th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #11
Trustee

I just saw this in a catalog, no idea how good, but the price is extraordinary. 16:9, audio and video inputs, headphone output, battery operated, remote control 7" TFT-LCD: $79 on sale....

Parts Express:Pyle PLHR76 7" TFT-LCD 16:9 Monitor with Headrest Shroud

Caveat: I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for." But......./Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 08:17 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Battle,

what is the resolution on this, and what kind of video input sockets are they?

The price is grand.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 01:30 PM   #13
Trustee

I think they are rca sockets, but follow the link I gave to the catalogue page and you know everything I know....:)/B Vaughan
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 02:17 PM   #14
Major Player

So I got the Sony DVD Player, the Sony DVP-FX820, it's not bad, around $145. I also got the Philips PET1030 10.2-Inch DVD player, around $210. The Phillips has a larger screen, but not appreciably better resolution than the Sony, and more expensive. However if you need a larger screen because you'll be viewing it at a distance, maybe the Phillips has something going for it. Both only have composite standard definition inputs. It's a shame because an S-Video input would result in a lot better picture from your camcorder, even if it were still in SD resolution. There is ghosting and artifacts present in all the composite in monitors, unfortunately, it's just not optimal.

The Sony is a nice, well made unit, especially for the price, it's just within the reach of being able to focus it, probably good for crane and other uses where your LCD just isn't that viewable. It's also got a rechargeable battery and so you don't need to worry about powering it in the field, and does also work on a 12v supply. It's a little heavy, so mounting on a camcorder isn't going to easily work.

I'm hopeful that a company will come out with a portable Monitor with Component video inputs and decent resolution for less than $400, it seems like the technology is there right now to do this.
Old June 14th, 2009, 05:08 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moreau View Post
So I got the Sony DVD Player, the Sony DVP-FX820, it's not bad, around $145.
Question about the battery life - have you noticed a longer then 6 hr battery life when using this as a field monitor (not playing DVD's).

Did I understand you that the battery is replacable and not built in ? Thats a great benefit to know and might be the tipping point to buying this.

For the record I was really close to buying a Hiere 7" LCD but couldn't get past the reviews seem at least 1 in 4 ppl had a defective unit within two weeks; how could one survive the field ? To many other dissatisfied customers for various reasons crossed this one of my list.
Tim Kay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software