DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Firm mounting for LCD monitors (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/144054-firm-mounting-lcd-monitors.html)

Kip McDowell February 18th, 2009 09:41 AM

Firm mounting for LCD monitors

Mounting my new Ikan V8000HDe monitor to the top of my Sony PD150 videocamera results in too much wobble. My cold shoe is just a little loose and the included cold shoe to 1/4-20 mounting post puts the monitor up too high. With the battery and cable attached, it is a very top heavy scenario that I am afraid will snap off at the least provocation. I shoot soccer, so a stray ball would easily break it, and quick pans following the action would also cause trouble. I have investigated the "hanging" types of mounts, but fear the same type of trouble, its just not secure.

What I am looking for, and have been unable to find, is a sturdy mounting solution that places the monitor behind the camera, between my eyes and the camera. Preferably it would sit lower than the camera, between the pan arms. This will get it closer to me, as well as provide some protection from a possible stray ball (although a shot to the camera might not be the best "protection"). I have a bracket used for a wireless pack from a company called Bracket1 which has the perfect setup, but the mounting part is 90 degrees off, not meant for a monitor. I tried finding this company to see if they had any other solutions, but they appear to have gone out of business.

I am considering, and in fact have already purchased, a 2-in narrow 1/8-in thick steel plate for making my own mount. It would sandwich on one end between the camera and the quick release, and would stick out towards the back of the camera, with a 1/4-in hole at the end to attach the monitor. I am thinking about bending the plate twice so that the mounting hole is about 2 inches lower than the plate, to lower the monitor closer to the pan arms. I can post pics when its done.

So question for you all: Does anyone already make something like this?

John Stakes February 18th, 2009 09:53 AM

Im in a bit of a hurry and did not read your entire post. But I did see you want a sturdy mounting solution. Did you check Zacuto? I think they pop up as one of our sponsors...a little pricy, but if you have the $$, I think their solution will work for you (depending on your setup).

JS

Battle Vaughan February 18th, 2009 11:15 AM

One of our team has a Rube-Goldberg device using a Bogen Clamp and Magic Arm to hold a Varizoom monitor to his sticks, works fine...they make a bunch of different parts and pieces from which you can assemble your own erector set....however, he uses it for studio interviews, I don't know if this is too cumbersome for field use....B&H lists a lot of this stuff, Bogen is Manfrotto, so Manfrotto's site (which I didn't check) may hold a clue....//Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team

PS Bracket1 prouducts are made by Visual Union in San Diego, try bracket1.com. Phone is 800-507-7790

Kip McDowell February 18th, 2009 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battle Vaughan (Post 1014008)
Bracket1 products are made by Visual Union in San Diego, try bracket1.com.

Thank you, I had tried that website earlier today, and it was not working. I just visited, and no trouble this time.

Kip McDowell February 18th, 2009 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Stakes (Post 1013967)
Did you check Zacuto? ...a little pricy, but if you have the $$, I think their solution will work for you.

Very nice equipment! Very $$ though. Their rails to the rear of the camera seems like the direction I am looking for.

Kip McDowell February 18th, 2009 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battle Vaughan (Post 1014008)
Bracket1 prouducts are made by Visual Union in San Diego

I would love one of these if the plate was positioned at the back of the camera, sticking straight out. A flat surface on which to attach a monitor.

John Peterson March 23rd, 2009 05:55 AM

I made a mounting bracket for a monitor by modifying a Deck Joist Tie.

DJT14Z, Deck Joist Tie.

You can get them at any hardware store, building supply, Lowes, or Home Depot for a few dollars.

By enlarging one of the holes I was able to remove the center post of my tripod and slide it through the bracket before reassembling the tripod. I just leave it on when I pack my tripod.

John