Datacolour Spyder3 Pro or TV ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old March 19th, 2009, 01:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Datacolour Spyder3 Pro or TV ?

I'm just wondering which product to purchase as I cannot afford to buy much at the moment, so it's one or the other for the time being.
I thought if I bought the Spyder3 TV, that I could still calibrate my computer monitors as well ?

I do HD editing, and the videos are for TV as well as the internet so I need some kind of calibration happening as I'm just guessing at the moment.

Cheers for any help !
Rob O'Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 08:05 AM   #2
Trustee

Why not just run bars into your production monitor and do a proper setup?
That will save you the expense of buying something you don't need.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 08:13 AM   #3
Inner Circle

David,

putting bars on the screen is easy, but what would be the procedure for setting from them?
Old March 21st, 2009, 03:23 PM   #4
Trustee

Here is a link... - Color Bars
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 03:59 PM   #5
Regular Crew

It's the brightness/contrast I have problems with, looks fine on my PC monitor but very bright on the TV.
Rob O'Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 05:11 PM   #6
Tourist

That's right

It's going to look different on a computer monitor and a television. Especially a CRT to a flat screen. The way these devices handle color and brightness is different. Most people use a reference monitor alongside their computer monitor and adjust color and brightness according to that. You can calibrate your computer monitor but you're not going to have accurate color still because it does not display the same as a CRT. You can use an LCD reference monitor, but they cost quite a lot. If you don't have a monitor, use a vectorscope and a waveform monitor to help you.
Jonathan Heppner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #7
Tourist

spyder 3 pro

If you have a spyder 3 pro you can buy software to use it on your tv. It is the same device, it just has different software between the tv, pro and elite.

Last edited by Jonathan Heppner; March 18th, 2010 at 06:06 PM. Reason: I looked into it
Jonathan Heppner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software