DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Need HDMI Monitor -IKAN, Marshall or Manhattan (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/146263-need-hdmi-monitor-ikan-marshall-manhattan.html)

Matthew Roddy March 20th, 2009 01:44 PM

Need HDMI Monitor -IKAN, Marshall or Manhattan

Is there any clear choice between the above monitors?
Throwing into the mix the SmallHD monitor, I'm VERY confused!
Should I wait for the "daylight" Marshall ( Marshall Electronics -- V-LCD651ST-HDMI )
Of course the existing Marshall seems good: ( Marshall Electronics -- V-LCD70P-HDMI )
The IKAN has a good rep ( ikancorp.com: V8000HDMI 8" High Definition TFT LCD Monitor )
Everyone who has a Manhattan says, "I love my Manhattan." ( Manhattan LCD )
And the rumors of the SmallHD seem favourable ( SmallHD.com - 8.9" High Definition - the DP1 ) but there's no way of knowing when it will hit the streets.

So again, is there a clear choice here?

My priorities are: HDMI; good viewing angle; not a brick (heavy); and I'd it to be powered by my AB batteries (either directly or via cable)

Thanks for ANY and all advice!

Norman Bonney March 21st, 2009 08:46 AM

same problem here

I'm in the same quandry. I have a job with the 5D where I need a monitor but I think I'm going to rent and see what comes in the next few months. Hope some other readers can help with this!

Scott Hamilton November 27th, 2009 01:55 AM

I guess nothing was ever decided on this thread, but I'm in pretty much the same boat right now, if anyone has some insight.

I'm hoping to get the Manhattan HD071A or the HD089B (why are they the same price if different sizes? Everything else looks identical.) unless someone has a strong warning against it. I'm trying to figure out why Manhattan is so much cheaper than anything else out there. All I need is to be able to see the picture better than I can on the built in viewfinder, especially when it comes to pulling focus. Also, it seems to have all the necessary connections.

Scott

Harold Schreiber November 27th, 2009 10:28 AM

Hi Gentlemen.

You might consider the Craig CLC501, 15" LCD HD TV. It's sold at CVS for $99 to $130.

720P HD, throws a nice Pic, Power unit is on the power cord - so you can also do a battery set up - this also keeps the TV itself rather light.

Has all the connections you need - including HDMI and Component. Has NTSC & ATSC Tuners. And you can use it for a Computer monitor.

I use mine with my HV30.

Harold

Scott Hamilton November 27th, 2009 02:07 PM

That sounds like a great alternative. Seems a little big, which is strange because typically that is what you would want in a monitor. I'm just thinking in terms of bulk, is it inconvenient? Is there any way to mount it to the tripod? Or would I need an assistant camera operator to hold it (while moving around)?

One of the things I like about having a smaller one (6-9 inches) is what looks like the ability to mount it on top of my HV30 via hot shoe. Is this realistic?

Harold Schreiber November 27th, 2009 05:58 PM

Hi Scott,

It is simple to mount on a T-Pod, but I'd not mount any sized Monitor directly to the HV30.

I have always mounted a monitor - be it a 5" or larger - to the T-Pod, on a table in the T-Pod's middle, some adjustible arm I made up, or on a seperate T-Pod. I've got a 5", The Sony DVD unit, A 10" DVD unit, a 26" TV unit, and now the Craig unit.

The Graig's got the best Pic of the lot, and is about the lightest, and almost the easiest to mount. Industrial Velcro does wounders.

Just make a Sun Shade for out-door use - as I have for all my units for the last 25 yrs or so.

Harold

Robert Turchick December 2nd, 2009 11:37 PM

Can't speak for the others but just got the SmallHD and it rules. Exceptional build quality and accessories. Battery powered or AC. The menus for adjustments run deeper than I will probably ever need to go and the most important...stunning image! Instills confidence using the manual focus which with my camera (HMC-150) is a problem due to the crappy viewfinder/LCD. Not a cheap solution but not the most expensive either. One cool feature is the ability to do PIP or POP. Could be useful on a two camera shoot!