Need HDMI Monitor -IKAN, Marshall or Manhattan at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old March 20th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #1
Major Player

Need HDMI Monitor -IKAN, Marshall or Manhattan

Is there any clear choice between the above monitors?
Throwing into the mix the SmallHD monitor, I'm VERY confused!
Should I wait for the "daylight" Marshall ( Marshall Electronics -- V-LCD651ST-HDMI )
Of course the existing Marshall seems good: ( Marshall Electronics -- V-LCD70P-HDMI )
The IKAN has a good rep ( ikancorp.com: V8000HDMI 8" High Definition TFT LCD Monitor )
Everyone who has a Manhattan says, "I love my Manhattan." ( Manhattan LCD )
And the rumors of the SmallHD seem favourable ( SmallHD.com - 8.9" High Definition - the DP1 ) but there's no way of knowing when it will hit the streets.

So again, is there a clear choice here?

My priorities are: HDMI; good viewing angle; not a brick (heavy); and I'd it to be powered by my AB batteries (either directly or via cable)

Thanks for ANY and all advice!
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 08:46 AM   #2
New Boot

same problem here

I'm in the same quandry. I have a job with the 5D where I need a monitor but I think I'm going to rent and see what comes in the next few months. Hope some other readers can help with this!
Norman Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 01:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I guess nothing was ever decided on this thread, but I'm in pretty much the same boat right now, if anyone has some insight.

I'm hoping to get the Manhattan HD071A or the HD089B (why are they the same price if different sizes? Everything else looks identical.) unless someone has a strong warning against it. I'm trying to figure out why Manhattan is so much cheaper than anything else out there. All I need is to be able to see the picture better than I can on the built in viewfinder, especially when it comes to pulling focus. Also, it seems to have all the necessary connections.

Scott
Scott Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 10:28 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Gentlemen.

You might consider the Craig CLC501, 15" LCD HD TV. It's sold at CVS for $99 to $130.

720P HD, throws a nice Pic, Power unit is on the power cord - so you can also do a battery set up - this also keeps the TV itself rather light.

Has all the connections you need - including HDMI and Component. Has NTSC & ATSC Tuners. And you can use it for a Computer monitor.

I use mine with my HV30.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 02:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

That sounds like a great alternative. Seems a little big, which is strange because typically that is what you would want in a monitor. I'm just thinking in terms of bulk, is it inconvenient? Is there any way to mount it to the tripod? Or would I need an assistant camera operator to hold it (while moving around)?

One of the things I like about having a smaller one (6-9 inches) is what looks like the ability to mount it on top of my HV30 via hot shoe. Is this realistic?
Scott Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi Scott,

It is simple to mount on a T-Pod, but I'd not mount any sized Monitor directly to the HV30.

I have always mounted a monitor - be it a 5" or larger - to the T-Pod, on a table in the T-Pod's middle, some adjustible arm I made up, or on a seperate T-Pod. I've got a 5", The Sony DVD unit, A 10" DVD unit, a 26" TV unit, and now the Craig unit.

The Graig's got the best Pic of the lot, and is about the lightest, and almost the easiest to mount. Industrial Velcro does wounders.

Just make a Sun Shade for out-door use - as I have for all my units for the last 25 yrs or so.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:37 PM   #7
Trustee

Can't speak for the others but just got the SmallHD and it rules. Exceptional build quality and accessories. Battery powered or AC. The menus for adjustments run deeper than I will probably ever need to go and the most important...stunning image! Instills confidence using the manual focus which with my camera (HMC-150) is a problem due to the crappy viewfinder/LCD. Not a cheap solution but not the most expensive either. One cool feature is the ability to do PIP or POP. Could be useful on a two camera shoot!
Robert Turchick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software