DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   8/9" lcd monitor for EX3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/146388-8-9-lcd-monitor-ex3.html)

Steve Benjamin March 23rd, 2009 05:37 AM

8/9" lcd monitor for EX3

I am thinking of purchasing an 8 or 9" lcd monitor to use with my Ex3 does anyone have any recommendations, would prefer something good in the mid price range really and would be great if it had focus peaking. Would the built in EX3 focus peaking work with any monitor?

Piotr Wozniacki March 23rd, 2009 06:03 AM

Unfortunately, external monitoring doesn't convey peaking, zebras, histogram, or the DOF bar - therefore, in order for a monitor to really be usable, it needs to be as big and high res as possible.

My Manhattan 10.9" is bulky and not so nice to handle, but at 1366x763 resolution at least the focus is spot on each time.

Mitchell Lewis March 23rd, 2009 07:42 AM

This is the one I've been looking at: ($999 list)

Marshall Electronics -- V-LCD70P-HDA

Can't decide whether to spend the extra money to get HD-SDI input. But I like all the features it has (watch the video). Peaking, exposure help, etc...

Brian Barkley March 23rd, 2009 07:53 AM

This one is expensive, but very nice ...
Nebtek | NEB70HDS 7" HD-SDI Onboard Camera | NEB70HDS | B&H

Justin Benn March 23rd, 2009 10:05 AM

I have one of these which I like.

I've got a TV Logic monitor which I like a lot - [LVM 071W - (click on links on left)] - but it wasn't cheap though. Has a few tricks up it's sleeve.

Jus.

Gints Klimanis March 24th, 2009 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 1031921)
Unfortunately, external monitoring doesn't convey peaking, zebras, histogram, or the DOF bar - therefore, in order for a monitor to really be usable, it needs to be as big and high res as possible.

Yes, this is a major bummer. For future models, I'd like to have a Black&White LCD mode with blue peaking. Also, I'd like to have the Expanded Mode sent to the monitor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 1031921)
My Manhattan 10.9" is bulky and not so nice to handle, but at 1366x763 resolution at least the focus is spot on each time.

I like the Manhattan LCD, but my take on HD monitors is that often it is difficult to distinguish most SD from HD on a monitor that is 11" when viewed from a working distance of only two feet. SD would be totally adequate at 8-11" and 720p monitors would be sufficient. Consider one of those 720p TVs at 15".

James Huenergardt March 25th, 2009 07:58 AM

[Can't decide whether to spend the extra money to get HD-SDI input.]

Spend the extra $$$ for HD-SDI input.

Not having to deal with the flimsy component connection under the handle is worth it in my opinion.

I have a TV Logic 7" HD-SDI monitor and it is so nice just to hook in one cable and run with it.

Mitchell Lewis March 25th, 2009 08:07 AM

Thanks James.

Paul Zwicker March 25th, 2009 10:15 AM

Spend what you can

I bought the Marshall V-R84DP-HD last year.
Nice monitor, but pricey back then. It has Blue-only and is rack mountable.
I wanted every input I might need for different cameras. HD/SDI is great-one cable and you are set with great detail.
I love the pixel-pixel feature-great for checking focus.

Panasonic also is making nice-though bulkier 8-9" HD monitors. My old company bought one recently but it is fat and needs to sit on a flat surface.

My Marshall came with a 1/4" screw mount plate. I added 2 more on the sides, bent a piece of 1" wide flat aluminum (shaped like goal posts), put some thumb-screws on the sides, added a quick-release mount from a consumer-grade video tripod.
I now have a secure mount, monitor that tilts and can easily be raised by the tripod for clients, director etc.

Ron Stanford April 12th, 2009 12:04 PM

What tricks?

This looks very nice. What are the special tricks?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Benn (Post 1032011)
I've got a TV Logic monitor which I like a lot - [LVM 071W - (click on links on left)] - but it wasn't cheap though. Has a few tricks up it's sleeve.

Jus.

Christopher Witz April 13th, 2009 07:17 AM

I really like the nebtek.... EX batts go on the back.... I can't shoot without it.

Tim Polster April 18th, 2009 08:19 AM

What would it take or cost to make a 9" monitor with pixels as densly packed as the EX LCD?

This is what is needed to view the monitor so closely and still resolve the detail for focus.

I see a lot of lower resolution monitors being sold and this just won't cut it outside of a studio situation for critical, shallow dof focussing.

Uli Mors October 29th, 2009 10:52 AM

TVLOGIC 071w & 091w

the manual says "waveform monitor" for SDI input.
Will the waveform be show thru the analog inputs too?

When I compare it to the new Sony LMD940, the manual seems also to limit the WFM for SDI inputs, but it works with analog signals too (very nice for loop thru).

Any owners here?

ULi