HDTV for EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old March 24th, 2009, 04:15 AM   #1
Major Player

HDTV for EX1

Hi,

I want to buy an HDTV to replace my old analog TV. I would love to be able to view full 1920x1080, 25p footage on it directly from my EX1.

I dont understand how the SDI output on EX1 relates to the common abbreaviations used with HDTV's such as HDMI etc.? Also as a side note I would love to be able to view edited material from my Dell Precision M4400 laptop that has a Display Port output (as I understand you can use a simple Display Port to HDMI adapter if necessary).

Im looking for advice on what kind of specifications I need to look out for in an HDTV in order to achieve this?

Thank you!

Sami
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 04:34 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Sami,

Most consumer HDTV's have a couple of HDMI's and one component inputs (no SDI). So, out of the box, you could hook your EX1 using the component, or monitor from your computer using DVI->HDMI cable.

If you insist on using HD-SDI straight from the camera, wait for the NanoFlash - it has both HD-SDI and HDMI in/out (and can convert between them, too).
Old March 24th, 2009, 06:07 AM   #3
Major Player

I wanted to set-up a large HDTV to monitor my full 1080p footage and also to allow visitors to see my work at full 1080p. I wanted to keep the cost down and experimented a bit before settling on my current solution. I covered the key components in a short post on my web journal entitled Dual Monitor Set-Up and full HDTV Output 1080p.

However this nifty little device allows you to connect SDI to HDMI (Mini Converter).
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 06:57 AM   #4
Vortex Media

I have been extremely happy with this device.
AJA Video - Serial Digital Video Interface and Conversion

I use it watch the output of my EX1 and EX3 on a big Bravia monitor.
If you buy one, make sure to buy the optional power supply for another $35?? because it doesn't come with one.

I also have this one for going the other direction.
AJA Video - Serial Digital Video Interface and Conversion

It looks like prices have dropped at least $100 since I bought both of mine.
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 08:58 AM   #5
Tourist

Sony EX3 to Nikon Adaptor

Just bought the EX3 after selling my JVC GY 200. I wanted the 1/2 chip and
easier and more compatible system to work with other producers on my
projects as well as theirs. I also just received the Nikon adaptor for the
camera and love it! My question is, do you need rod support to mount an 80 to 400mm
lens to the camera? It seems the body mount on the EX is pretty hardy and the Nikon
lens isn't that much more weight than the standard EX lens.

Any Thoughts?

Thanks!!
Craig Incardone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thank Doug!You just saved me a 2nd trip to B&H. About to buy the AJA Hi5 without the power supply. Wished B&H specified that better.
Ed David is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software