Need your Input!! monitor gamma at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old December 8th, 2003, 03:31 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Need your Input!! check this out...

hey guys. i'm having some major problems with my monitor and desperately need your inputs.

Everything on my monitor seems to be a few shades darker than it should be and i just wanted to see whether this is only happening on my monitor or also everyone else’s. please reply i'm desperate!!! :(

Ok...can you guys see ANY details on the chair? or is it ALL BLACK like it is on my monitor? are the chair and the side table SO DARK that they both PERFECTLY BLEND into each other? or can you see a definite color difference between the two? are the floor, the blanket by the chair, the chair itself, and the side table pretty much all different intensities of black (like on my monitor)? or are they are distinctly different in color/intensity?

thanks so much. really really appreciate it! :)

copy and paste this link:
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sno...e1.jpg&.src=ph
Alex Adhami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 03:47 AM   #2
Wrangler

Alex,

I can see pretty much everything in the picture correctly.

The wodden tableis brownish, Is the chair made from swade? All carpets are different colours. The blanket beside the chair is a bluey-black colour, the mat where the shoes are is grey, and the carpet is a light grey.

Maybe your monitor has died???

The picture seems OK to me.

Cheers,

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 03:51 AM   #3
Regular Crew

PS...

if it's only my monitor (which is what i'm suspecting) do you guys have any ideas on how to fix it? BOTH the contrast AND the brightness on the monitor are at its max. AND the extra brightness/contrast settings on my video card’s software effects EVERYTHING displayed on the monitor EXCEPT for videos and movies. ???

thanks again..
Old December 8th, 2003, 03:53 AM   #4
Regular Crew

thanks ed. yeah, i was suspecting that it's my monitor. now i don't know if i should go out and buy a new one or try and see whats wrong with this one. ???
Old December 8th, 2003, 04:04 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I can't see any detail in the chair.. Just black..

BUT that's because my monitor's gamma settings are screwed up. If you go through the monitor's menu options (as in the one you get by pressing a button on the monitor) then you may have a color control option. This allows the gamma settings to be changed. Mine are maxed out and I'm still having problems.

If anyone knows of a solution I'd be happy to hear it too..

By the way what make/model is your monitor?

Kieran
Kieran Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 04:07 AM   #6
Regular Crew

If you want your video sorted out you need to change the "overlay" settings if you have them, in your graphics card's menu. This activates only when you play video (for instance as soon as I start a clip playing in Avid Free DV the gamma levels are boosted, but when paused it goes dark again. Still, it's better than nothing I guess..

Kieran
Old December 8th, 2003, 04:13 AM   #7
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Kieran Clayton : I can't see any detail in the chair.. Just black..

BUT that's because my monitor's gamma settings are screwed up. If you go through the monitor's menu options (as in the one you get by pressing a button on the monitor) then you may have a color control option. This allows the gamma settings to be changed. Mine are maxed out and I'm still having problems.

If anyone knows of a solution I'd be happy to hear it too..

By the way what make/model is your monitor?

Kieran -->>>

hey kieran,

I have the NEC MultiSync FE700

i did a search on yahoo and no problems of this sort showed up any where. i guess its just me. :(
Old December 8th, 2003, 04:15 AM   #8
Regular Crew

How about this?

can you guys see any details in Bush's suit? on my monitor its all SOLID BLACK with absolutely NO DETAILS.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/031207/480/re11212070200
Old December 8th, 2003, 04:17 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Re: How about this?

<<<-- Originally posted by Alex Adhami : can you guys see any details in Bush's suit? on my monitor its all SOLID BLACK with absolutely NO DETAILS.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/031207/480/re11212070200 -->>>

this is the link you should copy and paste:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/031207/480/re11212070200
Old December 8th, 2003, 04:21 AM   #10
Regular Crew

ah, mine's a Packard Bell monitor, who are, I believe, related to/a subsidiary of NEC computers.

I think I'm going to get a new monitor.

Kieran
Old December 8th, 2003, 05:09 AM   #11
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Kieran Clayton : ah, mine's a Packard Bell monitor, who are, I believe, related to/a subsidiary of NEC computers.

I think I'm going to get a new monitor.

Kieran -->>>

thank god i found out about this right now...i only have another month left on my three year extended warranty! :)

ps. how does the Bush picture look on your monitor?
Old December 8th, 2003, 05:15 AM   #12
Regular Crew

It's not solid black, but it's still pretty bad.

Have you tried changing the color settings on your monitor's on screen menu? You should be able to max out values for red green and blue, which will improve things a little.

Kieran
Old December 8th, 2003, 05:44 AM   #13
Wrangler

Seems OK on my monitor.

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 08:28 AM   #14
Regular Crew

"BOTH the contrast AND the brightness on the monitor are at its max." - Alex Adhami

No wonder you won't see any shades in the dark areas of the picture: your contrast setting is at max! That leaves you with about 2 halftones on the display: black and white.
On a good monitor, contrast should be around center setting to display a proper dynamic range.
Old December 8th, 2003, 09:12 AM   #15
Wrangler

On my monitors, I can make out the lapel of Bush's jacket but can't distinguish any features in the chair.

I keep my dual ViewSonic monitors at full contrast and and 60% brightness, except when using them to view DVDs, at which point I turn them up to 100% brightness.

DV usually appears dark on computer monitors. Web video should be brightened prior to distribution.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software