Glare Filter For Monitor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old December 29th, 2003, 06:59 PM   #1
Tourist

Glare Filter For Monitor?

Hi, I was reading a health book at Barnes & Noble, and it mentioned getting a glare filter for your monitor to cut down on radiation. I spend a lot of time in front of my montitor, so I am considering getting one. Anyway, would getting a filter hurt the quality of the screen for editing purposes? Websites say the filters "enhances contrast" and have "truer color." I'm a novice at this, but that sounds like a good thing, is it? Does anyone else have a one? What kind should I get?

Thank you,

Mark
Mark Schraeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2003, 07:12 PM   #2
Wrangler

You might want to research this a little further. I know there have been some health concerns over radiation from CRT monitors in the past, but I was under the impression that the newer ones already have to conform to more rigid standards.

Regardless, you are talking apples and oranges... You mention a "glare filter"; that's something completely different. A glare filter is intended to cut down on screen reflections from things li overhead flourescent lights in offices.

If you're truly concerned about CRT radiation then you might consider ditching your old screen completely and getting an LCD panel... that's probably the only way to be sure you aren't getting bombarded by electrons.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2003, 12:17 AM   #3
Tourist

Thanks Boyd,

Yes I did say "glare filter," but the ones I was looking at are also anti-radiation. Maybe I'll check the documents from my monitor to see if it says anything about this. I just got it a couple of weeks ago, I'd hate to ditch it now.

Mark
Mark Schraeger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software