HDTV: How many here own one or an HD monitor - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old April 22nd, 2004, 06:32 PM   #31
Trustee

I took a survey today at my office of the 43 people that work there. Ages ranged from 25 to 64 with 39 being the median age. None are in the video business. Salaries range from $30k to $100K per year with the median being $41k. None indicated that they owned a htdv plasma monitor. Also, all but one indicated that they would not purchase one unless prices dropped to below $1,000. One more question I asked was are you satisfied with the image quality on your home tv. 40 replied yes.

I hate to see all the hype on hdtv plasma products and how we are being pushed into accepting them when in fact in my small survey no one at my place of work is willing to lay out the kind of cash the market now commands. Over 90% indicated they are happy with what they currently have.

Regards,

Mark
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2004, 06:50 AM   #32
Inner Circle

I recently purchased at 42" Mitsubishi RP. Looks great in my small living room. Watching live sports at 1080i on Comcast is amazing.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2004, 07:25 AM   #33
MPS Digital Studios

Mark,

Very interesting and revealing. doesn't bode well for VOOM and the HD ilk.

heath
Old April 23rd, 2004, 08:31 AM   #34
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Williams :

I hate to see all the hype on hdtv plasma products and how we are being pushed into accepting them when in fact in my small survey no one at my place of work is willing to lay out the kind of cash the market now commands. Over 90% indicated they are happy with what they currently have.

Regards,

Mark -->>>

I doubt the accuracy of this informal survey when applied to the population as a whole. I have no facts to back it up, but I believe in "following the money." If corporations are putting money into something, they probably have done the studies to justify the investments to their shareholders. There is a big push into HDTV. Look at the Good Guy's mailers. They devote pages to selling HDTV monitors. GG, BB, CC are not in the business of losing money. They know there is money in HDTV -- I believe them.
Thomas Ferlauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2004, 01:06 PM   #35
Trustee

Thomas,

You are probably right. My crude survey only represents a very small if not insignificant part of the whole. However, it says what it says for my sample group. No one in the group is really interested in HDTV at the current prices. Get it below $1,000 and everything may change.

Regards,

Mark
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2004, 01:35 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Plasma is generally crap, especially the low end stuff from Gateway. My friends are way too excited about saving space for $4000-10000. For that money, you can build a new room.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2004, 01:52 PM   #37
Major Player

I really think the current new crop of HD projectors are a MUCH better deal than any HD plasma or LCD or CRT. Where else can you get a gorgeous 12ft diameter HD image on your wall for under $2,000. Check out the Sanyo PLV-Z2, I got one a couple of months ago and still can't believe the picture.

Paul
Old April 24th, 2004, 08:04 PM   #38
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Williams : Thomas,

You are probably right. My crude survey only represents a very small if not insignificant part of the whole. However, it says what it says for my sample group. No one in the group is really interested in HDTV at the current prices. Get it below $1,000 and everything may change.

Regards,

Mark -->>>

If I asked everyone at my old station, they'd say, GO HD! You have to ask the general population, because the mindsets of people at work are often times the same. (I read something about that.)

heath
Old April 25th, 2004, 12:17 PM   #39
Regular Crew

As as a no/low budget user, I use my PC monitor(s). A second 19' monitor works very well for 130$ and is also useful in almost all my applications.
Old April 30th, 2004, 03:25 PM   #40
Tourist

I've had a Toshiba 34" CRT for the last couple of years and am very happy with it. May switch from directv to voom this month since the monthly fee is nearly the same and I'm a confirmed HDTV junkie.

Just purchased a GR-HD1 off ebay for $1800 and the output is gorgeous.

About half the people in my office have HDTV rear projection sets. The sony LCD RP's are the local favorite, very sharp picture, shallow depth and unintrusive save for the fact that it's a 60" screen.

VIVA LA HDTV!!!!
Michael Sessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2004, 01:41 AM   #41
Major Player

Funny that!

Quote:
55" widescreen Mitsubishi 55805 (year 2000 model)...
Same here! I have my PC hooked up to mine....

Troy
Troy Lamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2004, 09:19 AM   #42
Wrangler

I'm on my 8th HDTV since leaving analog back in 1998. Currently I'm running a 50" Sony Grand Wega (3rd generation).

Its nice to see you can get a Panasonic 60" LCD with PC input for less than $2500 now! Lets hope the prices keep going down.

Plasma?

Not for me. We have four 42" plasmas at work (2 Pioneer/2 Sony) and both have sever burn-in issues and are just one year old!!!
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2004, 09:31 AM   #43
Wrangler

All I have is my little 17" Sony LCD, but one of these days....

I think I have seen the tip of the wave though, just noticed that WalMart had two different brands of 30" CRT type 16:9 HDTV monitor/receivers in the store. Both were selling for a bit over $700.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2004, 01:17 PM   #44
Trustee

57" Toshiba.

Would not buy a plasma. IIRC, the gamut is smaller. Also, extended, long-term hot video (especially white) turns them yellow. That makes me nervous to own one. Think I will do LCD on the next upgrade if it is affordable by then.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2004, 01:40 PM   #45
MPS Digital Studios

I bought a 30 inch 16x9 (the shape of the TV) Samsung HDTV. It can be annoying watching shows stretched out or in "reverse" vertical letter boxing, but HDNet and Discovery HD (and anamorphic DVDs) ROCK! Well worth it!

Plus, I chose this over Sony, because it can switch between 1080i and 720p easily.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software