HDTV: How many here own one or an HD monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old January 23rd, 2004, 08:49 PM   #1
MPS Digital Studios

HDTV: How many here own one or an HD monitor

I personally own an HDTV LCD from Samsung (whoops, should've gone with a CRT...).

Anyone else?

heath
Old January 23rd, 2004, 09:23 PM   #2
Trustee

46" Sony RP here - it's cool. but, it's to big! anyone in the new england area that wants to buy it...i'll give a really good deal.

murph
Old January 23rd, 2004, 11:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

55" widescreen Mitsubishi 55805 (year 2000 model)...

Love this thing to death...makes my Xbox feel like war...LOL!!!
Carlos Salcedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2004, 01:52 PM   #4
Major Player

I have a Samsung 15 inch Wide screen LCD and I also have an Ikegami 20 inch Broadcast HD monitor($20K)

I'm looking for an HD set for the house. Hopefully a 65 inch. The bigger the better!

In this case, Size does count!

DBK
Old January 24th, 2004, 01:58 PM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

I don't know if it's CRT or projection, but I saw an 80 inch HDTV. Wow.

heath
Old January 24th, 2004, 02:19 PM   #6
Major Player

My TV is my computer these days. The HDV looks nice on my 20" LCD monitor, or for movie nights, I dim the lights and use a DLP projector on a 8 foot wide pull down screen. There are no true HD video signals anywhere in my system. I have no need for HD signaling, and no need for a 'TV set' any more.
-Les
Les Dit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2004, 02:35 PM   #7
Wrangler

I have a 17" Sony 16:9 LCD screen (1280x768). Have never watched any true HD content on it however. But it works great for editing native 16:9 from my PDX-10. I feed 1394 from Final Cut Pro to a Sony DVD recorder which sends a 480p component video signal to the screen. Looks great. Also works very well for watching anamorphic DVD's of commercial films.

This experience has convinced me to get a big LCD TV, but the prices are just too high right now. Several articles I've read in business magazines (most recently following CES) are predicting 42" LCD panels in the $1,000 to $2,000 range during the next couple years. Evidently new manufacturing techniques have been developed and new factories are coming online. More than one analyst has predicted that LCD's will overtake plasma screens as the low cost widescreen monitor of choice.

Should be fascinating to watch as the "revolution" slowly gains speed and people start replacing their 4:3 TV's. Not exactly holding my breath yet though...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2004, 02:43 PM   #8
MPS Digital Studios

I use my HDTV LCD (15 in.) as a computer screen, with, unfortunately, vertical "letterboxing." Ugh...

hwm
Old January 24th, 2004, 03:44 PM   #9
Wrangler

Heath, someone recently pointed out to me that this is called "pillarboxing" :-) What sort of computer are you using? My Mac recognized my 17" Sony right out of the box and works fine at 1280x768 resolution. For a PC you may need to install a driver or something. Of course you would need to pillarbox 4:3 video footage...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2004, 04:56 PM   #10
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Boyd Ostroff : Heath, someone recently pointed out to me that this is called "pillarboxing" :-) What sort of computer are you using? My Mac recognized my 17" Sony right out of the box and works fine at 1280x768 resolution. For a PC you may need to install a driver or something. Of course you would need to pillarbox 4:3 video footage... -->>>

Your mac is reading its monitor information through DDC, a technology originally developed by VESA as part of Microsoft's Plug & Play initiative for Windows 95. Microsoft is responsible for that, not Apple. I haven't loaded a driver for a monitor in many, many years.
Craig Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2004, 05:36 PM   #11
New Boot

I have an RCA F38310. It is a 38" CRT with built in HD OTA and DirectTV tuners. I scaled a mountain behind my house to erect an antenna tower and ran 600 ft of wire to get the signal back to my house. I guess you could say I'm an HDTV fanatic. I cannot watch SD anymore. I have no desire or motivation to edit in SD ever again... even if its just home movies. I can never use SD again. I've tasted the tainted fruit of HD and there is no going back.
Thomas Ferlauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2004, 08:38 AM   #12
Space Hipster

I have a Samsung 47" RP. i hope to shoot my own videos on an HD-10 and watch them at home.
Football looks damn good in high def.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2004, 02:17 PM   #13
Regular Crew

RCA 38" Widescreen CRT model from 2001. Beautiful picture. Built in HD tuner/de-coder. No DVI inputs, but componant ins look very good. Can't wait to get a consumer HD cam to see on it.
Kevin A. Sturges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2004, 08:51 PM   #14
Wrangler

We have a new RCA Scenium. DLP Projection so there's no burn-in; there is, however, an annoying high-pitched fan noise.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2004, 02:42 AM   #15
Regular Crew

HDTV Monitor

I have the Gateway 42" HD Plasma and the JVC HD Camera. I plan on getting a second plasma (50" - 60") when 1080P becomes available.

By the way, has anyone been able to successfully watch the Terminator 2 HD version on an HD set? Since it's in 1080P and not 1080i, I'm having trouble getting the TV to convert the signal from the output on the computer. The T2 HD DVD looks fantastic on the computer LCD screen.
Chris Gordon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software