HP LP2475w 24" 1900x1200 monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old April 17th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #1
Major Player

HP LP2475w 24" 1900x1200 monitor

HP LP2475w 24-inch Widescreen LCD Monitor specifications - HP Small & Medium Business products

what are you thoughts regarding this monitor? i'm looking for a decent monitor that will make my Sony EX1 1080P footage look its best. my friend as a 30" Apple Cinema Display and the footage looks great on it, but i don't have $1800-$2000(USA) to spend. $600 on this HP fits my budget much better. what monitors do you like for 1080P footage?

thanks,
Mike
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #2
Major Player

This is what I have--there may be a newer model: Samsung | SyncMaster 245T 24" Widescreen LCD | 245T | B&H

I use on location for monitoring through component from EX1, and on the computer through DVI. It also has HDMI. I've been very pleased.
Rob Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #3
Major Player

Will you be using it for editing, or just viewing your footage?
This is the one I have in my editing suite. I did lots of research prior buying this great monitor.
JVC | DTV24L1DU 24" Multi Format LCD Monitor | DTV24L1DU
Brian Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #4
Major Player

i'm sure the JVC monitor is great, but $3200 is a little pricey for my budget.
initially i'm gonna use the monitor for viewing footage and then eventually for editing.
Old May 6th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #5
Regular Crew

i'm very happy with my apple 23" lcd
does 1080 nicely
Old May 6th, 2009, 10:40 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hollister View Post
i'm very happy with my apple 23" lcd
does 1080 nicely
Apple displays are nice. but a new 24" goes for around $900 USA. there's gotta be something in the $400-$600 price range that's just as good. right???
Old May 6th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I don't know your quality target but I would not skimp on your editing monitor.

Having a proper broadcast editing monitor as opposed to a computer monitor that can double as a t.v. is the best for color and gamma.

The computer monitors are just not the same as a television.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #8
Major Player

If you want a budget TV/monitor that has a full 1920x1080 panel with the ability to show 1:1 pixel mapping, has HDMI inputs as well as component and DVI, then the LG M227 MW is a good bet.

At around 220 euro's it's a no brainer - granted it isn't broadcast, nor does it have HDSDI input - but it's cheap and looks better than many far more expensive models. Oh the downside is, its only 22inch - well big enough for an edit desk output monitor - and you can watch telly when you get bored with your edit.

PS, doesn't show 4x3 over HDMI - what a surprise!

Paul
Old May 7th, 2009, 11:10 AM   #9
Major Player

I have two HP LP2475s. They are decent monitors but the calibration is tricky. I really need to get a calibration tool for mine but still haven't got round to it.

It seems to do strange things with the reds, which can be misleading. This probably isn't an issue once it is calibrated. There is a really good review somewhere on the web if you google it, I may have the link somewhere and will post it if I find it.

I use mine with an MXO2
Old May 7th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #10
Major Player

Try this Dell SX 2210

Dell SX2210 Full HD 21.5 inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor Details

I wanted a production monitor that I could use with my EX-1's SDI output, and was looking at the Blackmagic HDLink. They just discontinued the HDLink (well not exactly, but the new HDLink is the old Pro one). The Pro has more features but it was bigger, I really wanted something small that could be velcroed to the back of a monitor. So I found a HDLink on ebay (they have them on B+H still, I think, but it is special order). Anyways then I saw this monitor, which was so cheap it seemed like it would be crap, but was worth trying, since I could always return it. The stuff shipped on Friday, and I had a shoot this weekend. The HDLink has an LUT utility so I could calibrate the monitor better (pre-calibration it was super-bright, much brighter than the picture I was recording). But it is full 1920x1080 and is very sharp. I got the monitor calibrated to be pretty darn close, and the picture looks great now. I go SDI out of the EX-1 into the HDLink and then DVI to the monitor. Nice little system for a BIG monitor for about 700 clams. Not too shabby.

Highly recommend, but get a box like the HDLink that has a LUT utility, not just a SDI-DVI (or HDMI) converter.

Benjamin
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #11
Major Player

If you want a monitor that is similar to the apple cinema displays, go with the high end dell monitors. They are basically the same thing and at least a year or so ago were internally the same (thinking its still true). When I was AOL and a large agency previously, they only bought Dell monitors as opposed to ACDs for that reason as well.

I'm running a couple Acer 24 inchers at home that have been fairly accurate at a lower price.
Jeremy Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #12
Trustee

Are there any monitors that have a Blue setting for calibration?
Old May 8th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #13
Major Player

Thanks to all. Jeremy and Benjamin, I'm going to look into a Dell. judging by your comments, is it fair to say that the high-end Dells(SX2210) are an affordable option for field and post monitoring?
Old May 8th, 2009, 05:38 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Before you buy, check this out!!!!

I have one and do all my work on it. When then play my blue ray on my 50 inch pany the images look awesome. the price is down right awesome, and this is canadian dollars which is about 20% cheaper for americans at the moment. they ship to the states readily as far as i know!!

I-Inc iF-281DPB 28" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 3ms, WUXGA 1920x1200, HDMI, D-sub, Built-In Speakers in Canada at TigerDirect.ca
Old May 23rd, 2009, 04:50 PM   #15
Major Player

ok. here are my options so far.

LCD Monitor comparison chart of the Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP, Dell SP2309W, Samsung 2343Bwx, HP LP2475w - LCD display - TFT - 24" and Samsung SyncMaster 245T - LCD display - TFT - 24" - CNET Reviews

1. Dell 2408WFP
2. Dell SP2309W
3. Samsung 2343BWX
4. HP LP2475W : 102% NTSC Color Gamut
5. Samsung 245T : 97% NTSC Color Gamut

i don't know what the Color Gamut specs are on the Dells and the other Samsung. they don't seem to be printed anywhere that i've looked. is that spec important? i would assume it is. the Dynamic Contrast Ratios range from 1000:1 to 80,000:1. is Native/Typical Contrast Ratio the only ratio to be concerned about? The Samsungs seem to have a lot of options in terms of adjusting image quality, ie: gamma, sharpness, contrast, etc.. the Dells are rated extremely high on Cnet.com and the HP has a decent review. My dilemma is that none of these monitors are sold at the same store. or at least the ones i've been to so far. here in LA i've tried Fry's and Best Buy. does anyone know of a store that might have all or some of these on displays?

to be continued....
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software