Small HD Finally is here at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old April 23rd, 2009, 02:13 PM   #1
Major Player

Small HD Finally is here

Today I received an email from Small HD regarding their 9" monitor that they have been teasing us with for a long time.

SmallHD.com - 8.9" High Definition - the DP1

I was thinking that the price would be less than $800.

I am anxious to see what others here think....

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 02:31 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Yeahhhhhhhh I got it :)
799 USD preorder price is 749 (just on 5th of MAY)

Do anybody know more info about accessories price? (battery)

Would be nice more info about menu..etc

PS: Could somebody convert this: "Eastern Standard Time" to UTC..
Miklos Konczol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 03:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

me to

Ya I just emailed dale hopefully not to high I was also trying to find out
if the 12v was only for the battery or was there a mini plug we will see
soon.

shawn
Shawn Kessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 04:26 PM   #4
Major Player

Miklos, the batteries are probably priced around $60-65 a piece, being as the email says you can buy two for the price of the tekkeon (assuming it's the MP3450)

Really happy about the DP1 - I'm shooting to be one of the first on the pre-order list :)
Trevor Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 05:58 PM   #5
Major Player

Has anybody seen the image the monitor produces?
How does it compare to Ikan or even the Marshall? Prices are all similar enough to be considered (give or take a few hundred dollars), so if one produces a better image and is only a few bucks more, I'd go with that. But if SmallHD has a superior image (they claim a better viewing angel), that would be my first choice.
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:07 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Roddy View Post
Has anybody seen the image the monitor produces?
How does it compare to Ikan or even the Marshall? Prices are all similar enough to be considered (give or take a few hundred dollars), so if one produces a better image and is only a few bucks more, I'd go with that. But if SmallHD has a superior image (they claim a better viewing angel), that would be my first choice.
Well, being as the announcement was made today and it won't be shipping until next month, no one but Dale and the guys at SmallHD have seen the image that it produces.

I'd put $800 on it that this thing will produce a FAR superior image to iKan and Marshall, which are both hilariously low resolution monitors - SmallHD is literally the first smaller sized monitor to offer true HD resolution.

Enjoy!
Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:44 PM   #7
Major Player

I got the mail too, sadly it doesn't look like the DP1 has any of the features of the Marshall that work well with the 5dmkII like false colour and peaking. Also these guys need to put a unit or two out in the blogosphere for people to test, I'd be interested to see if this monitor takes time to switch resolutions when you hit record on a 5dmkII, most other monitors seem to take an age to do this.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:10 PM   #8
Major Player

Is anyone else having a hard time getting the email subscription on their site to work? Seems like a bad omen...
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 01:13 AM   #9
Major Player

I was emailed this info as well. The price is considerably more than originally targeted many months ago ($500-ish), but I suppose that's expected.

Unless I'm missing something, I find it peculiar where the menu buttons are located. Anyone else wonder about this? Also, there's no info I could find what menu setup options are included.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 07:05 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Am I the only one that doesn't see the need for the VGA connector? I think more people would consider this as a viable choice if it had hd sdi input & bnc connectors rather than RCA.
Mark Bolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 06:46 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Bolding View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't see the need for the VGA connector? I think more people would consider this as a viable choice if it had hd sdi input & bnc connectors rather than RCA.
These products are custom packages around commodity LCDs and mother boards with video and LCD driver chips. The features you list are wanted, but such support requires a custom design of circuit boards and often the chips that are used to populate them. The VGA connector could be removed, but it's already on the circuit board.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 04:28 AM   #12
Inner Circle

No HD-SDI input?
Old April 26th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #13
New Boot

$800

I was also surprised with the new price because this product was announce earlier for $450
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sdtv-hdtv...-monitors.html

Also, the monitor does not come with a battery or charger, so thats an extra $200 dollars or so, thats a total of $1000 for the complete unit.

I'd rather wait and see reviews on it before I make my decision.

Also, I'd like to see comparisons between SmallHD, Ikan, and Marshall's monitor.

I'd rather buy the Manhattan monitor for $499
Manhattan LCD
Rafael Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 10:08 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Diaz View Post
I was also surprised with the new price because this product was announce earlier for $450
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sdtv-hdtv...-monitors.html

Also, the monitor does not come with a battery or charger, so thats an extra $200 dollars or so, thats a total of $1000 for the complete unit.

I'd rather wait and see reviews on it before I make my decision.

Also, I'd like to see comparisons between SmallHD, Ikan, and Marshall's monitor.

I'd rather buy the Manhattan monitor for $499
Manhattan LCD
Um no, the SmallHD XII was announced with the prospect of being $450 - the DP1 is a COMPLETELY different monitor and it's ridiculous to gripe about something that's so drastically different.

It's already been stated that the batteries are about 1/2 the cost of a Tekkeon, meaning they're about $60 each, and I can't imagine a charger being much more. That being said, I do highly recommend the tekkeon packs since they're inexpensive, include chargers, and they last FOREVER. Keep these things in mind before blowing the whole story out of proportion next time...
Old April 26th, 2009, 11:30 PM   #15
Major Player

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/961166-post61.html was the post by Dale himself saying they HOPED (keyword) to have the price in the $500 range.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software