Wireless video transmitter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old May 11th, 2009, 12:53 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Wireless video transmitter

Is there gear that will transmit video without cables from my FX1000 to a laptop for projecting live video at a wedding reception. Is there such a thing?
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 03:30 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Jeff.........

Yep and yep. Depends on what sort of video, how far and how much you're prepared to pay.

Ask and it will be disclosed.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:05 AM   #3
Major Player

Heck, i'll jump in...

How about... less than $1,000 for trans and receiver combined, , small enough transmitter to camera mount and battery powered... and for me, pal compatible?

Anything?

What about... Same criteria but HD?

And either of those criteria but closer to $500?

I have ASKED! You must DISCLOSE! hehe.

(weird. why did Logan's Run just pop into my head?)

:,>
-andrew
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Well, since this will occur at a wedding reception, it would be 200 feet or less. B&H has a device on their website that I found this morning, by Transvideo. It has two recievers & one transmitter and costs $4K. If I can find something effective for under $1.5 K I'd consider it, but much more than that and it is out of my budget for this item.

I'll contact some AV houses and check into renting units and see what is out there also.
Old May 11th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #5
Inner Circle

From the camera to a video projector (video signal) , you will find easily.
From the camera to a laptop, it does not exist. except if you convert the signal one one side.

Converting on the camera side is probably too bulky for your purpose (converting the video or firewire to a digital format that can be sent to wifi device).

You can send video to a video receiver and convert then to a digital signal (usb/firewire) but I do not really get the point, since you can bypass this step by connecting the receiver directly to the video projector.

Each conversion will add some delay (1/2 sec.) so it could make the sending useless for speeches.

A 50$ 2.4Ghz transmitter will allows SD video. For HD, it exists but most of device have HDMI input, so for the kind of camera you have , a converter is still needed.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Thanks Chris, but I didn't notice any of the many links you kindly provided to be for wireless transmitters for a shoulder/handheld camera, unless I missed it. They seemed to be aimed at industrial/stationary users and home users.

At any rate it was kind of you to Google it for me.

I'll call b & h as I'm sure they will have more than I found on their website.

Giroud, a transmitter to a projector would be fine! SD is fine! Name the product please! Sounds like just what I'm looking for!
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:38 PM   #8
Trustee

rangevideo

try this - works a treat but it gets hot so mount it carefully

900MHz 500mW transmitter/receiver/power pack [TX-RX-900-500-combo] : RangeVideo!, Wireless video solutions.
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:43 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Looks very promising, thank you Paul!
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #10
Major Player

Jeff,

I have something and really the only thing that works. It's works on 12v on is quite awesome. $300 price tag but worth every penny. Don't buy the cheap 900mhz or 2.4ghz transmitters you can buy on eBay or generic websites.

If you're interested, let me know and you can stop by and check it out.
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #11
Major Player

Ps

the guy at range video is a theif. Bought something from him, it didn't work and he said send it back. I did and he took the return, no refund and no return of a working product!
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Thanks for the heads up Jon. There was no brand listed for the transmitter, etc. and the item was covered in bubble wrap, not visible as it should have been. I will give you a call and stop by....
Old May 12th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #13
Wrangler

Also check out products at Supercircuits.com, plenty of transmitters of different types, some quite inexpensive (and tiny). Please take note, some require licenses to operate legally.
Old May 12th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #14
Inner Circle

The best i have found is the videowave from WEVI.

It used to cost a lot (over $1000) , but since they go to HD (with an even more expensive model) you could find some for less than $500. (I paid $300 for mine).

There are 2 models, the professional camera mounted device and the consumer model. Both are same in functionality, while the second is probably half the price of the first one.

I tested on a stabilizer and worked fine even with lot of movement from the camera and the receiver. All can be powered by 12V , so no problem to go on battery.

The only problem is the small delay (about half a second) that could be problematic for speech if the mic is going directly to the amplifier. The signal is steady and rock solid.

Another way is to use cheap 2.4Ghz (or better 900Mhz) transmitter and put the transmitter on a 8' light stand, linked with a short wire to the camera, so you can keep some freedom and get steady transmission.

Aanother solution (around $350) is to add a diversity receiver to allow the best signal to win. Tthe cheap ebay transmitters are ok if you treat these tools like they should (radio stuff). So proper positioning of antenna, correct choice of antenna type, good cabling and so on...
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Omiatek View Post
Ps

the guy at range video is a theif.
Well - mine turned up okay - works fine and I've got no complaints, still it pays to be careful - supercircuits might be the go

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software