DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Field Monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/26721-field-monitor.html)

Kent Dammand May 28th, 2004 10:22 PM

Feild Monitor

What is the least expensive but absolutly accurate Feild Monitor I can buy? Im using a DVX100 if that matters.

Ken Tanaka May 28th, 2004 10:46 PM

Welcome Kent,
I've no idea what the "least expensive" unit would be. But if you're going to go to the expense of buying a true field monitor and of shlepping it I suggest you get a true field monitor, not an old consumer television.

Shop around at B&H. They have quite a selection of monitors. I use a 9" Sony 8045Q. It has full image controls, is designed to be shlepped and is accurate enough (and young enough) to be used for color correction. JVC makes some very good, and generally less expensive, field monitors.

Kent Dammand May 28th, 2004 11:14 PM

Hi

What about using nice flat screen lcd monitors that will be on site? Are those too decivieng? Is that the whole point of the field monitor just if your concerned with ntsc?

Ken Tanaka May 28th, 2004 11:32 PM

LCD monitors are fine for framing. The highest quality, high-resolution units, such as the 7" Panasonic and many of the units sold by Nebtek can be used for focus and for some degree of color and contrast judgment. Certainly they're much lighter and easier to travel than crt's. I have a Panasonic and like it very much.

But if I really need to closely judge imaging while shooting nothing beats a good crt monitor. LCD's, even the best, are finicky with respect to viewing angle. Change the angle slightly and the contrast relationships appear completely different. You always have to make sure you're looking at the panel at exactly 90 deg or all bets are off. Also, only a high-res lcd will be good enough to give you any focus judgment that's better than what you have on-camera. You should also realize that since lcd's cannot be accurately color-calibrated you're generally in a bit of a crap-shoot on chroma, although the best units can be adjusted to a degree.

At the end of the analysis, the fact is that an lcd worth having is going to cost as much, if not far more, than a good, small, portable crt production monitor. The cheapo lcd "monitors" you'll see offered for $150-300 are just plain junk. You're better off saving your money and just sticking with the big lcd on the DVX.

Kent Dammand May 29th, 2004 11:57 AM

Thanks Ken

Actually I have an 19" S-Series AGNeoveo with S-video In. I am worndering if that woudl be deceptive. It dosnt seem to loose image off center veiw- but you I think were alos taking about contrast and so on.

But one of the things that make it so cool, the crystal optic filter over the lcd, could also create refleaction problems in production.

If anyone has tried this Id appreaciate input. I guess the safest would be to get the CRT- but budget might not allow.

Lorinda Norton May 29th, 2004 10:56 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka : I use a 9" Sony 8045Q. It has full image controls, is designed to be shlepped and is accurate enough (and young enough) to be used for color correction. JVC makes some very good, and generally less expensive, field monitors. -->>>

Hi Ken,
I know there are lots of variables, but is there an average on what is considered a "young enough" field monitor to trust for color correction? For example, might seven years old, moderate use be considered old? Sorry to be so ignorant, but what wears out?

Ken Tanaka May 29th, 2004 11:06 PM

Good question. Like any television, the model age is not really the significant variable; it's really the number of hours of operation. "What wears out" are the screen phosphors. Unlike consumer televisions true production monitors feature color-accurate phosphors. Over time they lose their accuracy.

Seven years may be getting up there for a monitor that's seen prolonged daily use. But if it's a good monitor chances are you'll still be able to re-calibrate it accurately. Eventually you won't.

Lorinda Norton May 29th, 2004 11:31 PM

Hmm, that's a little scary since I don't know how many hours this thing has put in.

I'm glad you brought up re-calibrating, because I haven't done it yet. I looked at some notes on calibrating with SMPTE color bars that said to switch on "blue gun only." Naturally, this monitor (JVC) doesn't have that, nor do I happen to have the exact blue gel it said I could use.

I do have some gels that look "primary" blue to me. Is that close enough?

Ken Tanaka May 30th, 2004 12:41 AM

"I do have some gels that look "primary" blue to me. Is that close enough?"

Honestly, I don't know. I've never tried to calibrate with a gel. There are a few variations on calibrating that basically arrive at the same destination. Take a look at Video University's procedure.

Lorinda Norton May 30th, 2004 02:16 AM

That answered the question. On page 3 he talks about using pretty much any blue that'll get the job done. Looks like it isn't that critical. But--I like the shortcut even better. :)

Thanks, Ken!

Lorinda Norton May 30th, 2004 12:25 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Kent Dammand : Thanks Ken

Actually I have an 19" S-Series AGNeoveo with S-video In. I am wondering if that would be deceptive. It doesn't seem to lose image off center view- but you, I think, were also talking about contrast and so on.

But one of the things that makes it so cool, the crystal optic filter over the lcd, could also create reflection problems in production.

If anyone has tried this I'd appreciate input. I guess the safest would be to get the CRT- but budget might not allow. -->>>

Hi Kent,
Hey, sorry for hijacking your thread. I'll bring it back to the top of the pile so maybe someone can see it who has some input! :)

Todd Birmingham June 1st, 2004 09:56 PM

to further hijack this thread . . .I just picked up a Sony PVM 8044Q on ebay. Right now, I'm only able to go Y/C (S-video) in as I don't have BNC(?) cables. Question is, would the Y/C signal only be black & white because that's the only thing coming through! Or did I get a bum monitor? I don't recall this being a very common issue if it is one.

Aaron Koolen June 1st, 2004 09:59 PM

Without knowing anything about monitors, Y/C should most definately be colour. The C in that equation is Chroma (colour).

Aaron

Sean R Allen June 1st, 2004 11:37 PM

"only be black & white because that's the only thing coming through"

Make sure "blue only" isn't on or that your chroma isn't turned all the way down. It's also possible that a pin in your Y/C cable got bent, try a new cable if it's not either of the above.

Todd Birmingham June 2nd, 2004 07:32 AM

Thanks for the advice. I know it's not blue only, and I already messed with the Chroma. Hopefully it's the cable. If not, I might have a rather expensive problem on my hands.