DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   CRT VS : Any thoughts? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/26862-crt-vs-any-thoughts.html)

Kent Dammand June 1st, 2004 01:55 PM

CRT VS : Any thoughts?

CRT VS :

14" LCD PROFESSIONAL MONITOR/RECEIVER High-Speed Motion Picture Response of 16msec. 2W x 2 built-in speaker. 2 x component inputs, 2 x composite/S-Video inputs. NTSC tuner built-in. VESA standard mounting holes(100mm x 100mm)

MODEL- CT-L1400 l LCD Monitor/Receiver- Dark Gray bezel
High-Speed Motion Picture Response gives a natural motion picture
with minimal afterimages.
New LCD AI & New Pixel Controller for deep, lifelike images with no
distortion.
NTSC TV tuner built-in, VESA standard mounting holes (100 x 100mm).
* Industry-Leading Response (16 msec) for Moving Pictures
Panasonic's original drive technology combines with advanced liquid
crystal materials to achieve 16-msec response, the quickest in the
industry. Moving pictures appear quickly, ensuring sharp, clear images
with minimal afterimaging. A high response speed (i.e., the time
required for the image to switch from black to white, and then back to
black) reduces the blurring that can occur in moving pictures on
conventional LCD monitor-receivers. With Our LCD monitor-receivers, even
fast-action sports scenes are reproduced sharply and crisply with
minimal afterimages or color shift.
* LCD AI
Panasonic's original LCD AI technology uses Active Light Control and
Active System Control functions to boost brightness and deliver deeper
blacks in scenes with varying contrast. Our New LCD AI goes a step
further, using a control method that achieves deeper, more lifelike
images in scenes where previous AI systems fell short.
The system uses a process called histogram detection to process the
luminance distribution in real-time. Non-linear gamma correction is
then used to boost gradation in the luminance areas containing the
greatest number of image elements. The result is greater detail, depth
and realism in areas such as the backgrounds behind movie sub-titles and
images around a lit candle in a dark room.
* Pixel Controller
Panasonic's newly developed Pixel Control LSI allows our LCD monitor/
receivers to accept a variety of input signals and to reproduce images
with superior precision.
- Aspect Ratio Switching
With Panasonic LCD monitor-receivers, you can choose the aspect ratio
-- 4:3 or 16:9 (letterbox) -- according to the signal input. Some LCD
monitor-receivers "squeeze" wide-format DVD movies to make them fit
the screen. Our LCD monitor-receivers, on the other hand, show wide
format images in correct letterbox format with no distortion. Also, the
Pixel Controller is compatible with progressive signals, so our LCD
monitor-receivers deliver natural, true-to-life images from DVD players
and video games with progressive output.
- Precise Image Display
Some LCD monitor-receivers stretch the image horizontally, displaying
black masks at the top and bottom of the screen and distorting the
image in the horizontal direction. Not Panasonic. Thanks to our high-
precision pixel control, our LCD monitor-receivers fill the entire
screen with the original, undistorted image.

Any thoughts?

Ken Tanaka June 1st, 2004 01:56 PM

Thoughts with regard to what?

Kent Dammand June 1st, 2004 01:58 PM

A tradional field monitor VS the one listed.

Mike Rehmus June 1st, 2004 05:23 PM

Yes. Don't. LCDs still cannot be used to evaluate video quality. However, if you only want to judge framing, then it might be OK.

Ken Tanaka June 1st, 2004 05:52 PM

This looks like a nice lcd monitor. Panasonic makes some good display products. But my remarks in your original thread still stand.

If I was going to forgo having a full-fledged production monitor in favor of an lcd I would certainly also want the display to run off of battery power, as my 7" Panasonic does.

I do not see this monitor as a practical choice for real field production. I'm sure it's fine as a computer display and for watching videos but its configuration and weight are impractical to schlep.

Kent Dammand June 1st, 2004 06:04 PM

Hey

I posted wrong on that, sorry. I was talking about the 7" you mentioned. So I assume you still stand by your orignal post even with the 7".

thanks

Jeff Donald June 1st, 2004 06:06 PM

LCD's one big advantage is brightness and to a lesser degree, sharpness. However, as the others have pointed out, color is no comparison at this level. CRT wins every time, unless you want to spend upwards of $2,000 for an LCD monitor.

Ken Tanaka June 1st, 2004 06:14 PM

Here is the 7" Panasonic I use. It's very light, compact and particularly handy because I've had mine modified by Nebtek to run off of Canon BP series batteries. I really like this fellow.

But as good as it is I cannot rely heavily on it for color and contrast fidelity. As I said, if I really need to zero-in on accurate image properties I use my 9" Sony 8045 crt monitor.

Kent Dammand June 1st, 2004 06:18 PM

Hey

Sorry to ask, but do you know the price of the 9" Sony 8045

I didnt find it in a search?

Ken Tanaka June 1st, 2004 07:36 PM

Sony has changed models in the past year or two. Here are three 9" Sonys at B&H. As I said in the other thread, browse around at B&H.

Mike Rehmus June 1st, 2004 09:44 PM

I second the Sony 9" Monitor use. I'd be lost without it and my portable Leader Waveform monitor. But if I had to chose between the two, the Sony would get the nod.

Jeff Donald June 1st, 2004 10:02 PM

I will also recommend the Sony 9 inch field monitor. However, on Mike's remarks, different strokes for different folks. I prefer a monitor for evaluating focus, DOF, framing, scene content and lighting ratio's. But for exposure and color evaluation give me a scope any day.

Michael Le June 2nd, 2004 09:57 PM

Why is it that these CRTs cost so much? Why can't you just go buy a small color TV and then calibrate it to standard?

Ken Tanaka June 2nd, 2004 10:56 PM

To begin with, crt monitors, in general, cost more than lcd's to manufacture. But that does not tell the whole story.

True production monitors are very different products than consumer televisions. Here are a few reasons why.
  • They can generally accept different types of input signals, usually at least composite and s-video
  • Their phosphors (ex: SMPTE-C) are also far more precise than a regular tv. Consumer televisions' phosphors are cheap and tend to be balanced for what customers tend to buy; usually red-heavy.
  • Most of the better units have switchable aspect ratios.
  • Display resolutions are generally higher than a tv, often up to 800 lines on 13 viewable inch displays.
  • Some are board-upgradable, for example to handle HD inputs.
  • Nearly all pro monitors can be accurately calibrated and feature controls to facilitate calibration. You may be able to adjust a consumer tv to some degree of color and contrast fidelity, but it's basically impossible to do better than an approximation of accuracy with nearly any tv.
But, in fact, a good portable production monitor really isn't more expensive than a comparable high-res production monitor. (This does not include computer lcd's which are more like consumer televisions.) In fact, they may average a bit lower prices.

Jeff Donald June 3rd, 2004 06:04 AM

Quote:

Why can't you just go buy a small color TV and then calibrate it to standard?
Most small TV's are either so limited in their controls or quality of construction, that they can't be properly calibrated.

Mike Rehmus June 3rd, 2004 10:36 AM

One of the massive but invisible differences is the stability of the internal power supplies and the stabilizing control of electron beam current so the monitor is consistent over a long period of time.

Michael Le June 3rd, 2004 03:18 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm new and just an ethusiast who would like to do home videos and some shorts. I've already plunked down for a GL2 +accessories and cringe at another $900 for a monitor.
And just for clarifcation, a CRT would allow me to check color before filming and also watch framing and stuff during filming, as well as help me during the editing phase. Correct?

Mike Rehmus June 3rd, 2004 04:12 PM

The major manufacturers also make good quality industrial quality monitors that cost around $200-$300 for a 14" unit. These are widely used for editing and may be all you require. Certainly for $800 you would be well advised to purchase an industrial NTSC monitor and use some of the rest of the $ to buy a set of nearfield audio monitors. You can get reasonable stereo sets starting at around $300 for self-powered units. The combination will give your videos a real shot in the arm because your editing will automatically become better. You get to see and hear your production better.