First Visit to B&H at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Closed Thread

Old June 8th, 2004, 01:27 PM   #1
Trustee

First Visit to B&H

I was in NYC this past weekend and had the pleasure of swinging by the B&H store for the first time. Man - that place is something else. Conveyor belt tracks pushing inventory up above, busy as a shop could possibly be, great inventory everywhere... it was like being at Willy Wonka's factory. Actually, it really is like being at Willy Wonka's factory - the workers there are ridiculously well organized and seem to be able to keep order in the complete chaos in the midst of all the crazy midtown hustle, but you get the feeling that if you goof up, they'll toss you down the trap door and out of the factory in a moment's notice. They're a tight ship, but they take no nonsense.

It really is a surreal but great experience not to be missed if you're up in Manhattan.
Old June 8th, 2004, 04:11 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Funny. Your reaction was exactly like mine.
Old June 9th, 2004, 01:57 PM   #3
Major Player

I love that place! Whenever I get a chance I walk over there just to stare at the cameras, NLEs and plasma screens. The employees really know their stuff, too.

It's essentially Toys-R-Us for videographers (and photographers, editors, DPs, Sound Designers...)

Fun, fun stuff!
Old June 9th, 2004, 02:24 PM   #4
Trustee

Ooooh, you're in walking distance? Lucky you!
Old June 10th, 2004, 04:39 AM   #5
New Boot

I want to second the recommendation of others here. I'd also like to point out to any other prospective tourists that finding a camera/electronics retailer in NYC like this one that doesn't seem intent on ripping you off is actually a very big deal, or so it seemed to this visiting Brit. I'm not talking about stores that are merely overpriced or unhelpful; those places naturally exist everywhere. I'm talking about stores that actually set out to deceive you by haggling down from absurdly over-inflated prices and even by misleading you as to the price they are selling something at in the first place - Times Square, anyone??

Maybe it was just my bad experience, but in any case I'm glad I found B&H!

Peace,
Thom
Old June 10th, 2004, 10:12 AM   #6
Wrangler

The rip-off camera stores you saw in Times Square are, sadly, not unique to New York. I've seem similar affairs in Hong Kong and even London. The best defense to stores like this is an informed customer -- no one should buy complicated cameras or electronics without first doing something basic research as to price and model.
Old August 13th, 2007, 06:03 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Old thread I know..

I was going to get a friend to pick up a Canon Wide adapter for my XH A1 whilst he was in New York but it's out of stock at B&H... any other options in Manhattan?
Old August 13th, 2007, 06:55 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Steven, our other sponsor in Manhattan is Abel CineTech:

http://www.dvinfo.net/sponsors/#abc

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software