HVR-M15U with 1080p monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old August 13th, 2009, 10:08 AM   #1
Major Player

HVR-M15U with 1080p monitor

My M15 HDV deck is connected it to my 1080p HDTV (component, rgb) and my 20" tube TV) it plays, however, there is a jiggle on the (HDTV only) vertical lines (ex. bars). There is no problem with the HDTV when connected to the area cable TV. The spec for the deck shows "video signal 1080/60i".

Also, when input source is select on the HDTV a text box pops up for a few seconds "720 x 480i @60htz" for SD or and HDV video.

Why are the lines jiggly?
Assistance is greatly appreciated.
Old August 16th, 2009, 10:19 PM   #2
Major Player

For anyone who might be interested now or in the future, the problem is component cables. I can only use RCA (yellow, red, white) cables to run a signal from the deck to a HDTV.
Old August 16th, 2009, 10:24 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Interesting. I use both component and HDMI to go to my external HDTV monitor when capturing, but then my monitor is only 720. No problems so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rankin View Post
Also, when input source is select on the HDTV a text box pops up for a few seconds "720 x 480i @60htz" for SD or and HDV video.
Hm. Stupid Question: Are you sure you don't have the deck set to downconvert (p.47)? Or might it be bad cables?

Edit/Correction: obviously the M15 doesn't have HDMI -- I use that when capturing from another source. I use component only with the M15 and it does work fine. I'd still check the settings on page 47. There's just a whole bunch of them there, and they lead to other settings elsewhere, and any one of them can trip you up.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 10:28 PM   #4
Major Player

I am disappointed because I would like to see the best picture while editing....oh well...
Old August 16th, 2009, 10:38 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Bill, I spoke in error above. I've edited to correct....
Old August 17th, 2009, 07:07 AM   #6
Major Player

[QUOTE=Hm. Stupid Question: Are you sure you don't have the deck set to downconvert (p.47)? Or might it be bad cables?[/QUOTE]

The i-Link is set to off. For now I'll use the RCA cables.

Thanks Adam
Old August 17th, 2009, 07:33 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Just to confirm: you mentioned using the red, white and yellow cables. I assume you meant that you are using these to connect to the component outputs as seen below on the back of the VTR and NOT to the "regular" Video output (with audio) on the back of the deck. The yellow, red and white rcas on the deck are of course composite (not component) and by definition cannot be anything but standard def.
Attached Thumbnails
HVR-M15U with 1080p monitor-rcas.jpg  
Old August 17th, 2009, 07:37 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
As well, it sounds like the lines you are seeing could be one of two things:
- either you are seeing interlacing artifacts from the 1080i signal being viewed on your progressive display; or
-you are using CHEAP RCA cables to connect the video signal to the component input. SOME cables use a very light gauge wire for the audio pair (the red and white) in a standard A/V cable. This CAN cause issues with bandwidth, causing (for lack of a better word) "interference" in the signal that is connected with those two leads. Better to buy "real" component cable (ie. red, green, blue cable ends)
Old August 17th, 2009, 09:01 AM   #9
Major Player

Shaun,

The RCAs are plugged into the appropriate jacks on both the deck and HDTV.

I tried both SD and HDV signals from the deck to the HDTV and still had wiggly vertical lines. The video is fairly clear. When using RCA cables in RCA jacks the wiggly goes away.

I will contact Sony and see if they have an answer.
Old August 17th, 2009, 12:20 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Hey Bill,

I'm a little confused because you say you are using RCA cables, but those could be either composite or component.

Just to clarify, you are using component cables from component output to component input and you get the distortion, but when you use composite cables from composite out to composite in it's fine? You are not mixing and crossing these two types at any point?

If your monitor is saying 480i it sure sounds like you are downconverting somewhere.

I would also certainly try swapping out some better component cables.
Old August 17th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rankin View Post
I am disappointed because I would like to see the best picture while editing....oh well...
Bill,
do you mean "monitoring the HD timeline through M15U -> HDTV while editing"?
Is it doable? Does it work? How???

Vasco
Old August 17th, 2009, 03:23 PM   #12
Major Player

Adam,

Sorry for the confusion...composite to composite and component to component. The composite works, so I will rest with that for now.

Thanks...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software