JVC TM-H150CGU Opinions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old July 15th, 2004, 09:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

JVC TM-H150CGU Opinions?

Hi all,

I've run out of patience trying to color correct my clips with my Commodore monitor. The Tint control goes from Magenta to Orange!?!

Anyhow, I'm looking at the new JVC TM-H150CGU NTCS monitor. Does anyone have any experience or opinions on this monitor?

Another question: do these monitors have S-Video in? I have a Matrox RT.X100, so I want to use the S-Video out. I've looked at the specs, but I can't determine if the Y/C input is an S-Video connection.

Here's a link to the monitor on JVC's web site:

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/Attributes/specs.jsp?tree=&model_id=MDL101461&itempath=&feature_id=03

Thanks!
Old July 21st, 2004, 10:04 AM   #2
Regular Crew

No one has any experience with this monitor? How about similar models? And I'd still like to know about cable hook up, s-video specifically.

Thanks!

Tim
Old October 7th, 2004, 11:23 AM   #3
Old Boot

Got it yet?

You got it yet? I just saw one with my DV footage on it . . NO GOING BACK! . . It looked terriffic . .. I'm waiting for the "right" price . . . Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 03:14 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Graham,

Yes, I picked one up mid-summer. It's fantastic. All the connections I need re: s-Video.

I did find out that, even though there is a plethora of controls for setting color and picture quality (i.e. calibrating), experience plays a large part of knowing how to use those controls. The blue scan feature is a must. The color off button is great, too.

Makes my television look like a piece of junk.

I picked it up at EVS, one of this board's sponsors. I can recommend them. They had a competitive price, and service was great.

Good luck!

Tim
tjbuege@visi.com
Old October 7th, 2004, 03:43 PM   #5
Old Boot

Wow! Thanks for the reply Tim!

. .and yes I saw the model in tandem with a piece of junk I've been using . .WHAT A difference! My DV tapes look wonderful!

Please explain, a bit:

1/- "The blue scan feature is a must."

2/- "The color off button is great, too."

3/- The underscan work nicley?

What other tips can you impart to me? I'm a real novice when it comes to calibration . . anything you want to impart here too?

TIA,

Grazie
Old October 7th, 2004, 06:45 PM   #6
Major Player

I just got one (after a few weeks waiting for it to be in stock) from Focus Camera for $579.

I have not used a professional monitor before so I cant compare it to others. However I am also very impressed! It is certainly handy to have the aspect ratio, underscan, and source select buttons right up front so I can switch between 16:9 preview output from my NLE and 4:3 from other sources.

The quality of the image is quite amazing. I can see the entire image captured by my GL-2 for the first time (never realized the LCD screen and the viewfinder were not showing the whole picture). It's so sharp can also see flaws in the camera when using S-video out to the monitor--for example some highly saturated green over yellow plastic shows color blur where the edges meet. Too bad it's too bulky to take on location.

If you really want to see something run one of Microsoft's High Def Windows Media example files (1080p if you have a fast enough CPU) out to this monitor, even over the composite connection. I realize its not quite real High Def but its pretty amazing.
Bill Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 11:30 PM   #7
Old Boot

Thanks Bill.

UK here and I'm waiting on a "price" I can kinda live with . . it is the old story of knowing how much something SHOULD cost and thinking what I would LIKE it for - know what I mean? .. .And yes the price is getting to become of less importance. .I'm gonna get this puppie.

I like your comments on now knowing what and how your GL2 captuures - XM2 here, same camera - and having this type of awareness about the camera's abilities is alos very important to me.

Best regards,

Grazie
Old October 8th, 2004, 07:35 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Graham,

I consider myself a novice, as well. Video Editing is not my profession, just one of many hobbies. Any knowledge I might have (or think I have!) comes from reading and experience. :)

Blue scan (blue check as JVC calls it) is key for properly calibrating your monitor. If you search this forum or the 'net, you'll find plenty of descriptions for how it is used in calibration. Basically, it's used to set the tint and color saturation of the monitor.

Color off is nice when adjusting the white/black levels of the monitor, without the distraction of color. I also use the color off feature when editing certain clips, to get a better balance of brightness and gamma. Very convenient.

I don't personally use underscan much. It allows you to see the entire image without loosing some to overscan. I suppose if your target was the web, or some other pc-related target where the entire picture will be seen, then underscan would be useful.

This monitor also has the ability to set the color temperature. Presets are at 6500K and 9300K, and there are controls to fine tune that. Basically, you want to calibrate your monitor with color set to 6500K. It will look too yellow if you're used to looking at a typical computer monitor or television, which tends to be much closer to 9300K or higher. Televisions are set to cooler temperatures to give the impression of a brighter picture. But 6500K is close to natural sunlight resulting in more accurate colors. I also find it's easier to get results that are more consistant when viewed on various monitors and televisions.

As far as other tips, just spend lots of time reading these forums. It's the best source of information I've found so far, and the people here are very helpful.
Old October 8th, 2004, 08:01 AM   #9
Old Boot

Tim! You Little Star . . thsnk you . .

. .guess what?? I just got it - about 2½ hours ago . . ppphhoarrgh . .It's a bit good! I can now "see" the quality of my camera's working abilities and see what I want to do with it in post! How many lines? 750+ ! It is good . . .

Than you for taking the time out to explain some of the technical details. Blue Check . . yes, I'm going to experiment with this in the next hour.

What a difference a proper monitor makes, eh?

Grazie
Old October 8th, 2004, 01:40 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hey, congrats! I'm glad I was able to provide some helpful information.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software