Need HELP viewing an external monitor via firewire through the JVC DH30000U at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old July 29th, 2004, 06:25 AM   #1
Major Player

Need HELP viewing an external monitor via firewire through the JVC DH30000U

Hi guys, I have the JVC DH 30000U deck, and I want to be able to use the firewire port as a pass through so I can use the view external monitor option on my computer's NLE software (Vegas) to view video on an extrernal monitor or tv. Thus far I have connected the firewire cable to my computer and to the back of the 30000U deck. I then connected my NSTC monitor to the deck via svideo cables. The screen shows the channel and setup setting for the deck but I can't seem to get it to recognize the firewire signal coming from the computer to the deck. What am I doing wrong. What setting should I be using....HELP.

Thanks
Dwight Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2004, 10:33 AM   #2
Major Player

I don't own a deck so I can't help you, but you will probably get more responses by posting this message in one of the editing forums (MAC or PC), and including which software/settings you are using...although I do you use my camcorder to passthrough D-to-A (PC's Firewire to Camcorder's S-Vid to my TV). For this to work my camera has to be in VCR mode and that's it. Only real advice I can give is to make sure your deck is set to video in. But post in one of the editing forums, and I'm sure somebody will clear it up for you.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2004, 11:27 AM   #3
Contributor

I don't anything about that specific deck. We have two Avid firewire systems connected to DSR1800 DVCAM decks, via firewire, and the decks then go to the monitors via S-video. There are push buttons on the deck to tell the deck to receive the firewire signal. If they have been switched to component or composite inadvertantly, then the deck doesn't see the firewire signal. Your deck may have an internal menu setting that does the same thing. I'd start there first.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2004, 07:41 PM   #4
Major Player

I am checking to see if this deck has those features (though I don't remember seeing them in the manual). Vegas is set to output to external monitor via firewire, and the deck works, but so far no luck.
Old July 30th, 2004, 04:56 AM   #5
Inner Circle

not sure, but what are you sending with the DV-link ?
d-vhs are able to send HD signal on the firewire, but it is mpeg2-ts that require special software from the PC side.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2004, 07:41 AM   #6
Major Player

I am only using the firewire dv link to the deck to send avi, ts (m2t), mpeg2 streams from either vegas or premiere to my external monitor. I am only using the deck as a pass through (daisey chained) line.
Old July 30th, 2004, 07:47 AM   #7
Major Player

Are there other Firewire devices on the chain? If so try it once with the VTR as the only Firewire device. I've read several reports of Firewire devices not playing friendly.
Old July 30th, 2004, 08:36 AM   #8
Contributor

Have you made sure you're getting video and audio to the deck? I guess the only way to do that, if it's not passing through, would be to record something on tape and then play it back. If that works, then you are definitely getting the firewire signal to the deck. Then, it would have to be a problem with the deck not giving you video out. If you're using S-video out, probably the first thing to check would be the cable. Those S cables really suck.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software