DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Good 4x3 / 16x9 production monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/30141-good-4x3-16x9-production-monitor.html)

Brian Gauthier August 5th, 2004 01:03 PM

Good 4x3 / 16x9 production monitor

i remember reading somewhere around here about a good little monitor that was switchable between 4x3 and 16x9 but now cant find it...

anyhelp will be appreciated...

Brian

Don Berube August 5th, 2004 01:15 PM

I own a SONY PVM-8045Q 9" CRT monitor. This is what I rely on for making any critical decisions. A SONY PVM-8044Q would work just as well.

I also own a NEBTEK-modified PANASONIC 7" LCD monitor and it works great for framing and *some* critical decisions, but it is not as resolute or color accurate as the SONY PVM-8045Q with SMPTE C phosphors and 450 lines of resolution. While the NEBTEK NEB70XL is not as accurate as the SONY, it is significantly lighter and smaller and the best LCD you can buy under $1000 - works exceptionally well as a directors' monitor and such.

IMO, you need both. I keep the Sony near the camera and hand the NEB70XL to the director. I will occasionlly opt for the NEB70XL over the Sony for those run & gun situations, but in those instances I am always using the Canon B&W viewfinder over the color EVF. When I do not have the means to carry any monitor with me, I will always pop on my Tiffen Tele-2X onto my B&W viewfinder. Do a SEARCH (at the top of the screen) and enter "Sony PVM-8045Q" or "NEB70XL" or "KATA LCM-1" or "Tiffen Tele-2X" for more info - this has been covered here numerous times already.

Best of luck,

- don

Brian Gauthier August 5th, 2004 09:22 PM

Thanks i will check it out...

Brian

Bill Pryor August 6th, 2004 09:52 PM

I also use the Sony 9". It seems to be the standard around here. You can also run it with NP type batteries.

Aaron Koolen August 6th, 2004 10:32 PM

Don, do you use that 9" in the studio for post production or would it be too small you think? Thinking it'd be a good saving to have a monitor that worked for both.

Aaron

Bill Pryor August 7th, 2004 09:55 AM

I use it in the studio too. It's big enough for a couple of people to watch.

Dan Parsons August 9th, 2004 02:18 PM

JVC TM-H11375SU

JVC TM-H11375SU

13"
NTSC/PAL
16:9/4:3
Under-/Over-scan
BNC/S-Video
Built-in audio speaker (I never use it)

It's not the thing to use if you have to run on batteries, but it's about as compact as a 13" (non-LCD) monitor can be.

I've found that the step up in size from a 9" screen combined with the high resolution of this monitor allow for much better critical focus adjustments.

All the best,
Dan
www.nolongerifilms.com

Michael Morlan August 18th, 2004 01:17 PM

I have a JVC TM910SU that handles both aspect ratios. As Dan notes, his 13" is better for critical focus but the 9" can handle that task too.

Michael

Darko Tomic August 19th, 2004 07:52 AM

Does someone have JVC TM-H150 production monitor ?
It's 15" high resolution monitor, and I am considering to buy one, just need owners opinions ...

Thanx
Darko

Graham Bernard October 7th, 2004 11:16 AM

Yup, me too . . just seen one with my DV on it . .. no going back now.

Did you buy the JVC yet?

Grazie

Darko Tomic October 8th, 2004 01:28 AM

No, I didnt buy it yet.It is just too expensive for me right now.Graham, what's the price there in the UK ?

Seems jvc produces excellent picture quality and includes all usefull features like bluecheck, underscan and color off mode.

Best regards
Darko

Graham Bernard October 8th, 2004 01:35 AM

Hiyah Darko!

Well, around £380.00 GBP United Kingdom Pounds, that's about 41,355.58 CSD Serbia Dinars [?] yes . .. ?

Darko, what is "bluecheck" . . ?

Grazie

Darko Tomic October 8th, 2004 02:18 AM

Hello Graham ,

Well its better for me to count in euros :)
Its aorund 550€, but I cant get it here in Serbia for that price (everything is more expensive here to buy).
For the bluecheck, I dont know exactly as far as I know it is used for color calibration.
Check out this thread
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24178&highlight=bluecheck

Also perform a "bluecheck" search, maybe you'll find more topics related to bluecheck.

Thanx
Darko