DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Colour Monitors (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/3151-colour-monitors.html)

Barry Uddstrom August 12th, 2002 07:08 PM

Colour Monitors

I have been using a standard 14inch colour TV with my RT2000 as a Monitor, I have been thinking of upgrading this to a Sony PVM14N6A Monitor. Are there advantages in using a proper monitor against a standard TV? Any advice is apprecated as the cost is quite a bit extra compared to a 14inch TV.

Frank Granovski August 13th, 2002 03:26 AM

A wave-form monitor has more useful features ment for viewing and monitoring footage for broadcast. You can also measure the lines for your cam's playback. I have a picture-link of a nice field monitor at:

www.dvfreak.com/buyersguide.htm

Margus Kivilaan August 13th, 2002 06:21 AM

hi,
i think you don't win much if you buy N series monitor. They are'nt even with standardisized phosphors, maybe only more precisely made CRT. It's basically the same as a good TV, only without tuner and more expensive. If you take M or L series monitor, you will have standardized colors, underscan, 16:9 mode, blue-only mode. And significantly less money left.

Margus

Dylan Couper August 13th, 2002 02:19 PM

What's the cheapest, usable monitor you can get?
What do used ones run?

Jeff Donald August 13th, 2002 05:09 PM

Dylan,

What do you want to use the monitor for? For field work a small monitor, say 5 to 8 inches. If you want a studio monitor I would recommend an 8 to 14 inch. If it needs to do both, an 8 inch Sony would be my first suggestion. Any more details and i can be more specific.

Jeff

Barry Uddstrom August 13th, 2002 07:16 PM

Colour Monitors

I would require a 14inch monitor as it would be permanently wired to my editing computer.
With the price of a dedicated monitor being five to seven times the price of a 14inch TV, I was wanting to know the real usable benefits of having a broadcast monitor.

Margus, the Sony model PVM14N6A is switchale between 16:9 and 4:3.

Dylan Couper August 13th, 2002 08:45 PM

Jeff, in a perfect world, both. :)
But since when I get one, I'll have to chose, I would opt for the studio monitor. How much does the price vary between 8"-14"?
Thanks

Margus Kivilaan August 14th, 2002 12:42 AM

ooops!

yeah, good lesson for me, check before writing.
N6 really has 16:9 mode, and N series monitors have also P22 standard phosphor.
Shame on me:{
Margus

Ralph Keyser August 15th, 2002 03:29 PM

The advantages of using a monitor vs. a regular TV really boil down to accuracy and flexibility. A monitor will give you a more accurate method of judging how the colors on your program will look on a broadcast signal. If you're preparing content for broadcast, then a properly adjusted monitor is nearly a must have bit of equipment. On the other hand, many folks who are doing weddings or other non-broadcast pieces get along fine with a good quality TV instead of a "real" monitor.

Chris Hurd August 15th, 2002 03:55 PM

I think it's a very good idea to have both a pro monitor plus a consumer television set, to see how your video looks at both extremes.

Jeff Donald August 15th, 2002 03:58 PM

For field and studio work I would recommend the Sony BVM 8000/9000 series. These 8 inch monitors are a standard of the industry, what all other small monitors are compared to. I would expect to pay from $400 on up depending on condition, age, appearence etc. The Sony PVM 14 series, 14 inch monitors, are ideal for the studio. Used units will start at $350 and go up from there. The older 1300 series represent a good value. The features I would consider esential are Blue gun, H - V Delay (cross pulse) and underscan. Depending on the type of projects you do 16:9 could be essential as could PAL capability. do you need to have your monitor professionaly calibrated? Maybe, it depends on the type of work you do. If you do much for broadcast I would spend the money and have at least one monitor adjusted to BQ standards. If you work is not for broadcast, then you can get by calibrating the monitor your self.

Jeff

whiteshaft August 18th, 2002 12:54 PM

Where do you guys shop for the used monitors?

JK

Paul Sedillo August 18th, 2002 01:25 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by whiteshaft : Where do you guys shop for the used monitors?

JK -->>>

I was able to find a studio going out of business. They used eBay for clearing out their gear. It is luck of the draw when you buy on eBay. I picked up a Sony PVM-14M2U for $480.00, which I thought was a great price. It was in good condition when I received it, so I was satisfied with the purchase.

Hagop Matossian August 22nd, 2002 06:02 AM

LCD

for a while I've wanted an LCD monitor to hang round my neck while shooting, kinda like those metal things harmonics players use to hold the harmonica up to their mouth.

yet all the portable LCD screens I've seen show different colours from different angles, which kind of defeats the object of having one in the first place. Is it just a case of how much money you spend on it?

Does anyone know of a company who makes portable LCD engineering monitors?

Margus Kivilaan August 22nd, 2002 08:49 AM

i think you'll never get an LCD monitor which will show show you definently right colors. I've had a possibility to compare quite a expensive LCD monitors, they all a wrong in color reproducing. Wait for plasma small-ones or use CRT monitors (it's just my humble oppinion)
Margus