Colour Monitors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old August 12th, 2002, 07:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Colour Monitors

I have been using a standard 14inch colour TV with my RT2000 as a Monitor, I have been thinking of upgrading this to a Sony PVM14N6A Monitor. Are there advantages in using a proper monitor against a standard TV? Any advice is apprecated as the cost is quite a bit extra compared to a 14inch TV.
Barry Uddstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2002, 03:26 AM   #2
Outer Circle

A wave-form monitor has more useful features ment for viewing and monitoring footage for broadcast. You can also measure the lines for your cam's playback. I have a picture-link of a nice field monitor at:

www.dvfreak.com/buyersguide.htm
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2002, 06:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

hi,
i think you don't win much if you buy N series monitor. They are'nt even with standardisized phosphors, maybe only more precisely made CRT. It's basically the same as a good TV, only without tuner and more expensive. If you take M or L series monitor, you will have standardized colors, underscan, 16:9 mode, blue-only mode. And significantly less money left.

Margus
Margus Kivilaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2002, 02:19 PM   #4
Wrangler

What's the cheapest, usable monitor you can get?
What do used ones run?
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2002, 05:09 PM   #5
Warden

Dylan,

What do you want to use the monitor for? For field work a small monitor, say 5 to 8 inches. If you want a studio monitor I would recommend an 8 to 14 inch. If it needs to do both, an 8 inch Sony would be my first suggestion. Any more details and i can be more specific.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2002, 07:16 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Colour Monitors

I would require a 14inch monitor as it would be permanently wired to my editing computer.
With the price of a dedicated monitor being five to seven times the price of a 14inch TV, I was wanting to know the real usable benefits of having a broadcast monitor.

Margus, the Sony model PVM14N6A is switchale between 16:9 and 4:3.
Barry Uddstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2002, 08:45 PM   #7
Wrangler

Jeff, in a perfect world, both. :)
But since when I get one, I'll have to chose, I would opt for the studio monitor. How much does the price vary between 8"-14"?
Thanks
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2002, 12:42 AM   #8
Regular Crew

ooops!

yeah, good lesson for me, check before writing.
N6 really has 16:9 mode, and N series monitors have also P22 standard phosphor.
Shame on me:{
Margus
Margus Kivilaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2002, 03:29 PM   #9
Major Player

The advantages of using a monitor vs. a regular TV really boil down to accuracy and flexibility. A monitor will give you a more accurate method of judging how the colors on your program will look on a broadcast signal. If you're preparing content for broadcast, then a properly adjusted monitor is nearly a must have bit of equipment. On the other hand, many folks who are doing weddings or other non-broadcast pieces get along fine with a good quality TV instead of a "real" monitor.
Ralph Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2002, 03:55 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

I think it's a very good idea to have both a pro monitor plus a consumer television set, to see how your video looks at both extremes.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2002, 03:58 PM   #11
Warden

For field and studio work I would recommend the Sony BVM 8000/9000 series. These 8 inch monitors are a standard of the industry, what all other small monitors are compared to. I would expect to pay from $400 on up depending on condition, age, appearence etc. The Sony PVM 14 series, 14 inch monitors, are ideal for the studio. Used units will start at $350 and go up from there. The older 1300 series represent a good value. The features I would consider esential are Blue gun, H - V Delay (cross pulse) and underscan. Depending on the type of projects you do 16:9 could be essential as could PAL capability. do you need to have your monitor professionaly calibrated? Maybe, it depends on the type of work you do. If you do much for broadcast I would spend the money and have at least one monitor adjusted to BQ standards. If you work is not for broadcast, then you can get by calibrating the monitor your self.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2002, 12:54 PM   #12
whiteshaft

Where do you guys shop for the used monitors?

JK
Old August 18th, 2002, 01:25 PM   #13
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by whiteshaft : Where do you guys shop for the used monitors?

JK -->>>

I was able to find a studio going out of business. They used eBay for clearing out their gear. It is luck of the draw when you buy on eBay. I picked up a Sony PVM-14M2U for $480.00, which I thought was a great price. It was in good condition when I received it, so I was satisfied with the purchase.
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2002, 06:02 AM   #14
Woodyfang

LCD

for a while I've wanted an LCD monitor to hang round my neck while shooting, kinda like those metal things harmonics players use to hold the harmonica up to their mouth.

yet all the portable LCD screens I've seen show different colours from different angles, which kind of defeats the object of having one in the first place. Is it just a case of how much money you spend on it?

Does anyone know of a company who makes portable LCD engineering monitors?
Hagop Matossian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2002, 08:49 AM   #15
Regular Crew

i think you'll never get an LCD monitor which will show show you definently right colors. I've had a possibility to compare quite a expensive LCD monitors, they all a wrong in color reproducing. Wait for plasma small-ones or use CRT monitors (it's just my humble oppinion)
Margus
Margus Kivilaan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software