Solution for 2-3 20" LCDs plus 32" HDTV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old August 26th, 2009, 01:33 PM   #1
Trustee

Solution for 2-3 20" LCDs plus 32" HDTV

I use PPro and AE CS4 and am looking to get a device that allows me to connect all of my LCDs and adjust color or calibrate.

I have 2 Dell 20" Ultrasharps(2007wfp), 1 Viewsonic 20"(decent but not great) and a Samsung 32" LCD HDTV. I'll be producing/editing all content for a gov't access channel.

For broadcast content, what is recommended for my LCD setup?(what should each LCD be used for).

Thanks.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #2
Trustee

All those LCDs should be used for watching the picture. NONE OF THEM should be used for accurate monitoring and/or picture evaluation. (Sorry)

You really shouldn't be using computer monitors or TVs to judge a video picture. The former uses a different color space. The latter typically has circuits and settings to "pretty up" the picture for consumer use.

If you want to monitor a picture with accuracy - you need to use a broadcast grade monitor that has actual calibration controls. That typically means "blue only" output (holding wratten blue colored glass or gel over your eye to set up a monitor is tres retro - but also pre-historic tech and pretty cheezy, IMO) , contrast AND phase adjustment, and it's also nice if the monitor can perform switchable horizontal/vertical delay so you can visually check signal timing/vertical interval stability.

Without those basic controls, you're working with something designed to be WATCHED - not used as a picture evaluation monitor and you just can't be certain that what you're seeing is the same as what the next viewer will be seeing.

FWIW.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #3
Inner Circle

If one is only after color evaluation, is it necessary to use an HD monitor? Or can you use SD? I've never had a definitive answer on this one...
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 07:57 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
If one is only after color evaluation, is it necessary to use an HD monitor? Or can you use SD? I've never had a definitive answer on this one...
If you're evaluating a picture - it stands to reason that you would want to evaluate it on something that will show you the ENTIRE picture. So yes, evaluating a SD picture would require an SD monitor - and evaluating an HD picture would require an HD monitor.

For example, when shooting, say, a mens shirt with a tight fabric pattern of lines or checks you might be concerned that you're not generating any MOSQUITO NOISE due to a conflict between the pattern and the cameras optical block raster at a certain picture size. It would not be particularly useful to have some scaling algorithm producing said noise instead of the actual camera sensor.

That would make things harder to judge. Right?

And if said tight pattern is on a LIGHT BLUE shirt - said noise problem could make the shirt look VERY different than it's actual proper color - and you might never know that if you can't see the ACTUAL picture being produced.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software