Monitor only green, Did I get ripped off? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old August 22nd, 2002, 12:19 PM   #1
New Boot

Monitor only green, Did I get ripped off?

Just bought a used Sony monitor-- color (let's say skin tone) will only vary a shade of green when adjusting the phase. I don't have the manual and I'm new to monitors, but I can't get any video or bars to look anything like they should while adjusting chroma, bright, contrast, phase according to a monitor setup from video university. There is also a purple cast (when feeding pure red to the monitor) on the right side and upper left. Could I be doing something wrong or is this a lemon and I now have a fight on my hands? Thanks.
Rich Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2002, 01:06 PM   #2
Warden

Hard to say at this point. Do you know the model number? Check switches in back and make sure all the video connections are terminated (not loop). Does it have a degauss button? If so press it and the see if the puple color disapears in the righ and upper left. Make sure external sync is not on. What input are you feeding it and how? Have you tried a different cable? Does it have a blue only or blue gun switch? Can you feed it color bars? Turn on the blue gun and what do you see when you input color bars? Try some of that and post back results.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2002, 08:46 PM   #3
Major Player

gonna inch out on a limb here, but could it simply be a green screen monitor? they usually only show green, as this allows you to easily judge contrast. pretty widely used actually, but again, i could be wrong and the monitor could be broken. =)

Casey Visco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2002, 08:55 PM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

My 8" Sony monitor also generally has a cool/green cast to it, but not as severe as what you suggest. Also, I can adjust it to SMPTE bars (although it takes some doing).

Again, if we knew your monitor's model number we might be better able to help.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2002, 11:54 AM   #5
New Boot

not taking chance

I may not know monitors, but I do know electronics and this thing is not working right. I think the blue and red guns are defective. I talked to the guy and he said he will take it back. I'm crossing my fingers.

Went against a rule I have to never buy anything used that can get used up like phosphors, tape heads, etc. I learned my lesson. Thanks to all.
Rich Rosen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software