DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   HD monitor for FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/34521-hd-monitor-fx1.html)

Alex Raskin November 5th, 2004 11:37 AM

HD monitor for FX1

What would be a good way to monitor FX1's output in full resolution?

Mostly interested in studio monitors, but field monitor suggestions would be of interest as well.

I have in mind 1920x1080 plasma flatscreens, but those are EXPENSIVE - seems like around $8,000 for 40" ones... is there anything more affordable??

I think the monitor size must be 40" or larger because one can't really see the image/focus details on small HD monitors...

Dustin Cross November 5th, 2004 12:42 PM

Alex,

I have been looking at:

23" Apple Cinema Display ($2000)
Decklink HD-SDI card ($600)
Decklink HD-SDI to DVI HDlink ($700)

$3300 is not bad.

That is the least expensive solution I have found. It is not 40", but it is pixel for pixel. The only thing I am wondering about is if the color is accurate enough to do color correction.

Jeff Kilgroe November 6th, 2004 06:17 PM

If you're thinking of going with an LCD monitor, also check out the Samsung 243T. It can be had for about $1900 and is 24" 1920x1200 native and a higher quality LCD panel (brighter, better contrast) than the Apple 23" Cinema display. I have one of these on my office workstation and it is the shiznit. It has both DVI and VGA/RGBHV inputs on it... I'll dig into the manual when I get back to the office on monday and see if it supports component RGB input with sync-on-green. If it does, then you could use this monitor with a component to RGBHV cable to connect it to the FX1. If it says it supports the proper sync, I'll see if I can borrow a component to RGBHV cable (I know someone who has one) and I'll hook it up to a 1080i source and see what happens. This could be a nifty solution as the monitor also comes with a standard VESA mount on the back so it could be easily mounted anywhere you want if the included stand doesn't do it for you and having 24" of 1080 HD with all the pixels there to look at would be just perfect.

Alex Raskin November 7th, 2004 11:14 AM

For the purpose of viewing HD video, 23-24" is too small, sorry...

I'd say 34" is the very minimum that I may settle for - only because price-wise 40" and up is really prohibitive...

My current pick is Sony KD-34XBR960, which is 34" CRT HDTV that accepts both 1080i Component AND iLink (FireWire) output of the FX1 cam.

I just tested KD-34XBR910 (predecessor of 960) in Circuit City store with my FX1 cam, and it's not that bad size-wise, colors seem OK etc. BUT for some reason there was a pronounced yellow/red halo on the right side of the vertical lines of the image. Could be that 910 is worse than 960; or that its CRT guns were misaligned; or maybe FX1 does output such signal itself - which I could not see on my 27" Samsung LCD (1280x720 resolution.)

Anyone else tested FX1 with KD-34XBR960? Results?

Carlos E. Martinez November 7th, 2004 11:28 AM

What about location field monitoring for HDing with the FX1?

What might be a nice and reasonably priced option?

How large can we get a screen to workout framing and contrast on a portable situation?

Carlos

Jeff Kilgroe November 8th, 2004 12:13 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Alex Raskin : For the purpose of viewing HD video, 23-24" is too small, sorry...

I'd say 34" is the very minimum that I may settle for - only because price-wise 40" and up is really prohibitive...

My current pick is Sony KD-34XBR960, which is 34" CRT HDTV that accepts both 1080i Component AND iLink (FireWire) output of the FX1 cam. -->>>

Well, I guess the 34" Sony would be a nice choice too (and cheaper than the LCD) -- at least for use as a studio monitor.
And the question still remains of what to use for a field monitor. The 30~34" CRTs don't make sense and the 24" LCD is more practical in terms of size and weight, but still not the most ideal by any means. There are HD field monitors available from Sony and Panasonic and others for use with the "professional" HD cameras, but so far all of these that I've seen cost more than the FX1 or just about any other solution that has been brought up here.

For a field monitor, the best would probably be a smaller 13 to 17 inch LCD set with component (or firewire) input that does at least 1280x720 res and accepts the 1080i signal. It would at least be good enough to manage focus in most situations and monitor a lot of the details.

Dave Elston November 15th, 2004 10:05 AM

Jeff,

Did you have a chance yet to test your Samsung LCD (243T) with the FX1 ?

I am very interested to hear the possibilities for those of us that need to maximise our preview capabilities for colour correcting etc.. when moving our editing systems up to match the (superb) image from the FX1.

I think here in the UK it will be a while before HDTVs (true 1080i !!) are going to surface at reasonable prices. The PC monitor (maybe CRT for better blacks) route might be the only (low-cost) alternative at the moment.

Anyway, thanks for any more news on this subject.

Dave.

Alex Raskin November 15th, 2004 10:15 AM

Field monitor: HP L2335.

Large enough (23") to check the focus. Has 1080i component in. Also has VGA and DVI inputs (it is actually a PC monitor.)

Great picture: its resolution is 1920x1200.

Great price.

Relatively compact so it could be hauled around in a large hard-shell plastic suitcase that we already have.

Seems to work fine so far.

Quirks: "normal" mode (zoom OFF) shows picture slightly squeezed horizontally. Zoom ON shows undistorted image, but you lose about 15% of the image on the left and on the right. So we use Zoom ON as a safe margin view :) (although keep in mind that it shows the vertical dimension of the image as-is in any case.)

Mike Tiffee November 15th, 2004 11:08 AM

The best picture quality is going to be a CRT. The Sony CRT's are native 1080i- look awesome.

Carlos E. Martinez November 15th, 2004 11:20 AM

Fellows,

Shouldn't we concentrate on field monitors, that can be battery powered and taken on location?

The monitors used in post should be much easier to solve.

Carlos

Mike Tiffee November 15th, 2004 02:06 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Carlos E. Martinez : Fellows,

Shouldn't we concentrate on field monitors, that can be battery powered and taken on location?

The monitors used in post should be much easy to solve.

Carlos -->>>

Uh, why?
The poster specifically said he was mostly looking for a studio monitor. Use a nice SD monitor in the field.

Carlos E. Martinez November 15th, 2004 02:22 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Mike Tiffee :
Uh, why?
The poster specifically said he was mostly looking for a studio monitor. Use a nice SD monitor in the field. -->>>

Well, he said was interested in both types, studio and field.

Using an SD monitor with an HDV camera would be an option, but probably not the best one.

Carlos

Mike Tiffee November 15th, 2004 03:07 PM

I don't see the advantage of using a HD field monitor. First of all, I wouldn't trust anything other than a CRT to use for quality monitoring. A HD CRT is heavy - 40-50lbs for a small one and I don't want to lug that around. The only real field monitor I know about that is portable/battery powered and HD capable is only 450 lines of resolution and costs $5000 and is only like 9". I would much rather have a nice 13" SD monitor with 16:9. And save the HD monitor for post.

Dave Elston November 17th, 2004 07:27 AM

I have been trying to find a solution that would enable a modern PC CRT monitor display 1080i signals...

So far, I haven't built such a solution (no guarantees at the moment !) but there does seem to be tantilizing signs it might be possible:

1) Choosing a good PC CRT monitor (low-cost, good blacks / rich colour repro. native 1920+ rez); eg, Samsung 957P

http://www.clickonit.com/Monitors/Mo...nch/180698.php

2) A sync converter to transcode the YUV component into RGBHV (VGA) 15-pin...

http://www.keydigital.com/lprodi.asp?Ic=KDctca3

or (for Europeans... translation on right)

http://www.spatz-tech.de/spatz/cscpro.htm

3) Crossed-fingers and of course the 1080i source - the FX1 / Z1...!

Please let me know if anyone has tried something like this ?

Or any comments of wisedom welcomed.

Thanks,
Dave.

Heath McKnight November 17th, 2004 08:10 AM

I'm a big fan of CRT monitors, DV or HD. Better ways of checking out the image.

heath