monitor calibration at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old September 5th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #1
Major Player

monitor calibration

(Sorry for posting in 2 forums. I shoulda used this one.)

Mod note: no problem, your other post has been removed.

I got a low-end broadcast monitor (JVC DT-V24L1) that, in theory, will do blue check (in addition to R & G). Unfortunately, pressing the button for this results in a "no effect" message on the screen.

I'm guessing this is a limitation of the DVI connection. Any possible workarounds? I don't input options besides DVI.

Only thing I've thought of is the on-screen R, G, and B drive settings, which go from +256 to -256. Should I temporarily set the R & G to -256, adjust the B setting with color bars, then reset the R & G to 0?
Philip Fass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 12:39 PM   #2
Wrangler

Not familiar with that monitor, so I'm a little confused as to how you connected it via DVI. Does it double as a computer monitor and broadcast monitor? If so, then yes, the menu options will be very different in these two modes.

My guess is that it's not going to be color accurate when used with the DVI interface regardless, and I don't think that setting the color as you describe will work. The usual trick is to look at the screen through a primary blue filter when you make the adjustments, such as a piece of R80 gel doubled or tripled up.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #3
Major Player

JVC | DTV24L1U 24" Multi Format LCD Monitor | DT-V24L1U

This is the monitor. It's specifically for video use, and it comes with DVI input. Obviously there are more capable monitors, but I'll probably never be able to afford them.

I tried it today, and I've actually gotten much better PQ after first using the FCP color bars to make adjustments.
Philip Fass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 03:43 PM   #4
Wrangler

That's very cool - thanks for the link. When I tried searching for it before at B&H I couldn't find it.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 06:08 AM   #5
Major Player

The more I use it, the more I like it. I think it's great value for the $$.
Philip Fass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software